DOUBLE the EXCITEMENT!!!!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

DOUBLE the EXCITEMENT!!!!

Post by jay_are »

I should rename the title to "Mighty No. 9" cause thats my main excitement right now!!!
I am a very big MegaMan fan. And the creator of MegaMan, Keiji Inafune, who no longer legally has the rights to make anything related to the character, is making a spiritual successor at his own company!!!!!!!!!!
He has a Kickstarter project, for which I already am a backer :D

But guys, as if this wasnt exciting enough, Keiji Inafune has a video on the kickstarter page.
In it, he walks into a game store. Lunar 2 for the PS1 is right IN FRONT. He walks past it.

http://imageshack.com/a/img825/369/wv7r.jpg

Ok ok, I know that Lunar is a more common game in Japan and stuff, but still!!!! I am double-shocked.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: DOUBLE the EXCITEMENT!!!!

Post by Werefrog »

jay_are wrote: Ok ok, I know that Lunar is a more common game in Japan and stuff, but still!!!! I am double-shocked.
I actually don't think it is... Anyone want to be my fact-checking cuz on this one?

And that's cool about a MegaMan-esque game by the creator. But now, I wish my Wii was where I currently am so I could play some classic MegaMan... and also it's almost fall, so I want to play Sonic which is something I do every fall.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Hehe well if it's not that common, then it would make it more exciting!
Within only barely 2 days out of 30, they have successfully and BRUTALLY succeeded and raising funds!
And it's not even named MegaMan. Meaning, if it WAS named MegaMan, it would have received 10 times as much support.
So a revival of a series is now proved to be very strongly supported by the audience!!
*pssst* Hey GameArts. Are you watching? Take notes for your future remake/sequel projects, pretty please.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:
jay_are wrote: Ok ok, I know that Lunar is a more common game in Japan and stuff, but still!!!! I am double-shocked.
I actually don't think it is... Anyone want to be my fact-checking cuz on this one?
Depends on what you mean by "more common". There were more prints of each version of the game in Japan than in the US What's also true is that the used/retro game market is much more ubiquitous in Japan than in the US--it's far easier to find used game stores, and regular game stores with very large used/retro game sections that stretch back to the NES/SNES era--and the photo there is of a particular store's retro game section.

What's harder to determine is whether Lunar is more or less popular in the US than in Japan. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: There were more prints of each version of the game in Japan than in the US What's also true is that the used/retro game market is much more ubiquitous in Japan than in the US--it's far easier to find used game stores, and regular game stores with very large used/retro game sections that stretch back to the NES/SNES era--and the photo there is of a particular store's retro game section.
What's harder to determine is whether Lunar is more or less popular in the US than in Japan. KF
I thought that might be the case. I remembered you saying that in the past and seeing various forum members pictures of used game stores. Very cool. One of the saddest things for me that wasn't something serious was when mainstream game shops here in the US stopped taking in PS1 games. And I think that was in 2005. No wonder we don't have anything cool like that for used games in the US. It's been institutionally discouraged by the game store monopoly.

But I had the last laugh: Ever since the only thing I do in a game store is kill time before a movie and look at things that I sometimes buy from Amazon. Amazon doesn't ask me if I want to subscribe to Game Informer.