Adventure Island

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Adventure Island

Post by MaroonChan »

Anyone here play that?

I found an copy at Oogies and picked it up. It was one of my favorites. Though I think it was the second with the dinosaurs I played. 2nd or 3rd. We probably got it around somewhere, but no idea. I also just picked up the 2nd on eBay.

The first was pretty hard. Mostly since you only get 3 lives and have to keep starting at the beginning. Fun though.

TempestOne

Re: Adventure Island

Post by TempestOne »

I was flipping, thumbing through something a few days ago, like, a catalog on the onlines about video games and came across this video game, too. Brought back a few memories of seeing, ''Adventure Island,'' scanned across a Blockbuster box in my mind, haha, lol. 8-)

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've never played Adventure Island, but I've watched clips of it on Youtube. I did randomly acquire Adventure Island 2 yesterday though. So now I kind of want to get the first one, lol.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

I think it was the 2nd I used to play when I was younger. Either the second or the third. I'm waiting for my copy of the 2nd to come...eventually I'll find the 3rd. Been randomly picking up some of the older games. No idea where we have them anymore, so...

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

I'm crazy for Adventure Island!!

I've finished 1,2,3 and 4 on the NES. (4 as a translated rom though)
Also 1 and 2 on GB.
And not long ago a Turbo Grafx remake of the 1st (which is mostly a whole new game)
This one you can purchase on almost any modern system as a digital download, I went with the PSP version which I played on Vita :)

My quick opinion on all these games? They are all my favorite games evar!!
Except Adventure Island 1 on NES.
That game just plain sucks. The gameplay is almost the same as all the others, but to get continues, you must get a secret item.
Now guess what, I DID get this secret item completely on my own, but I never knew what it did. I had to look online to know what it was, and to my surprise, it gives you infinite continues -____-
(Edit: Forgot to mention that you must also do a secret button trick or it wont work, which is why i had to look online)
And if you think that would make the game easy, thats where the the real challenge only begun.
Challenge 1: Not getting bored of the same stages over and over. The whole game feels like the same 4 first stages but harder and harder each world.
Challenge 2: Beating it. It's almost impossible unless you leave the NES turned on for a few days. Unless you really dedicate the whole day to it and are really good at it.
Challenge 3: Not destroying the cartridge in anger after you finish it. That's a challenge!

Haven't played the Super Nintendo games yet. They kind of dont have the same appeal to me. I think I didn't have a good first impression on these... I sometimes change my mind after some years when this happens with games, but yeah, who knows, they might be great!

I think there is also a WiiWare game and a japanese PS2 game. Didn't play those at all yet!
Still, I wish they made more. I wish they were more adventure styled, similar to the 4th game on the NES.

Edit 2: Forgot to mention also there's a Sega Master System game called Wonder Kid, which seems to be very similar (a clone?) . And lastly, the Wonder Boy series, from which Adventure Island was created.
Adventure Island 1 is actually Wonder Boy for the SMS, but with some licensing complication, a port of this game for the NES created a different series which is Adventure Island. So, the Wonder Boy games are worth checking out!