Square-Enix Trying to Get Back To Basics?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Square-Enix Trying to Get Back To Basics?

Post by Shiva Indis »

An article about this has been making the rounds: http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=1507

S-E tried out a program they called RPG Juku, in which staff members were required to play Super Mario RPG in hopes of tapping into the magic of yesteryear. RPG Juku was apparently cancelled for being too much of a time-sink because participants kept playing after the assignment was over, potentially distracting them from their jobs. Since the next game was supposed to have been Secret of Mana that problem probably would have gotten worse.
「まあいいけど。」

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Square-Enix Trying to Get Back To Basics?

Post by jay_are »

God, I would have LOVED that it worked
Hey it's not that hard to make good RPGs again.
Just make: Good creative story, good music, and good gameplay.
The graphics don't have to be FF13. Stop adding so much detail to characters that will have bland personalities.
I bet a silent hero is still better than most silly characters of the years 2000 and after.
See? It's a really easy formula ^_____^

Edit: Forgot some things:

Quote: "Some employees suggested adding more cutscenes and turning the game into an MMORPG."
A million times NO

Quote: "the tutorial should be longer and mandatory"
Tutorials should be short and not mandatory. Doesn't anyone hate spending the first 3 hours of a game just doing the tutorial mission? Instead, it should not be as complicated, and there should be a training mode somewhere.

Quote: "adding more cutscenes"
Very few games did this the right way... but if they can make it intense, then yes.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

As far as I'm concerned, Square never stopped making good RPGs. Nerds just became spoiled.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Hah! I might have to agree with LunarRaptor, there. Although they've dropped the ball on some games; what was it, FF11 that was the disaster?

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

They've always had a few bad games. Anyone remember Final Fantasy II?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Yes, I've played II. I mean lately, though. Like within the last decade. But, I'm not one for tons of gaming news, so I only know of things when they come along in my little world.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I saw this article when Shiva posted it originally, but didn't get around to replying. Oy.

Many of the comments even after playing the game indicate that the expectations of RPGs have shifted a lot since the mid 1990s. Lots of cutscenes, multiplayer, and long tutorials are seen as necessary improvements to the game. I wish this program could continue, if only to budge the idea that an RPG must be any one thing.

Incidentally, I think Fire Emblem: Awakening got the balance of tutorial to gameplay and cutscene to gameplay about right, as well as incorporating a good system for limited multiplayer. The tutorials are not required, convey information only when you reach a part of a game where an idea is necessary, and can be dismissed while still conveying a lot of information; the cutscenes are dramatic and can be skipped; multiplayer is not required to finish the game, but provides ways to improve your characters further.
From the article wrote:One employee was fired after they said that “the ease from going to point A to B on the world map” was one of the top features of the game.
I don't understand this. They were asked for feedback. Was this seen as particularly glib and therefore out of line? Is there an element of the worker culture that I'm not getting?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

The article is satirical.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

And like good satire it can also be taken seriously. Only my last comment is inane.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

My comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular.