Virtue's Last Reward

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
parappa
Lyton Singer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Virtue's Last Reward

Post by parappa »

I got the PS Vita version of Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward and have been enjoying it a lot. I didn't play the first game in the series, 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. They're Chunsoft games.

Basically it's a visual novel with breaks in the story where you solve a room escape game puzzle (yeah, like the Flash games). The puzzles have been entertaining and the story is pretty good. It moves a bit slowly, though, so it's not a game for the impatient. The whole thing has a kind of Death Note vibe to it. At least, that's what I'm reminded of.

The plot branches based on decisions that you make and there's a tree view that lets you jump to any point in the story. It seems like certain endings require you to play through alternative branches in order to collect enough clues to beat them. I haven't managed to get past any of those ones yet.

If any of this sounds appealing, you should look further into it. It's a reasonable quality game. Some of the environment art is bad, but the character art is good and it's fully voiced in English and Japanese. I would say that it's good in the places that matter.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: Virtue's Last Reward

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for the DS is GOD TIER! LOVE that game. Amazing story! I started it, then hooked my older sister on it, then we conspired and got my younger sister hooked on it. Such an amazing experience. A must play for any DS/3DS owner.

Virtue's Last Reward is a great game too. :D Though the 3DS version has a save bug that can corrupt your save. The Vita version has no issues though. Main thing in the 3DS version is just never save in a Puzzle Room, 'cause it can crash, especially in the PEC room.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Ack, thank you both for reminding me that I have 999 and have never opened it. Man, I really need an extra pair of hands so I can play and knit at the same time.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Alunissage wrote:Ack, thank you both for reminding me that I have 999 and have never opened it. Man, I really need an extra pair of hands so I can play and knit at the same time.
You only need one hand to play 999, does that help? 8-)
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Heh, it might've a year ago. Last September found me sitting in an exam room off an ER with my right upper arm completely broken through, playing AAI while I waited for medical staff to come patch me up. It wasn't easy, but the fear of boredom and need for distraction was too great.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I should get 999... I don't plan to have the money for this PS Vita thing for a long time, so I'll have to pass on this one.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Alunissage wrote:Heh, it might've a year ago. Last September found me sitting in an exam room off an ER with my right upper arm completely broken through, playing AAI while I waited for medical staff to come patch me up. It wasn't easy, but the fear of boredom and need for distraction was too great.
D: How'd that happen?
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hang gliding. Bad landing. Still not sure quite what happened, but haven't been able to bring myself to watch the video my husband was taking at the time.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Alunissage wrote:Hang gliding.
At least it was from something cool, right?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Alunissage wrote:Hang gliding. Bad landing. Still not sure quite what happened, but haven't been able to bring myself to watch the video my husband was taking at the time.
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that it happened. But at least as Werefrog mentioned, it was while doing something neat, and not just a random freak accident at the coffee shop or something. So there's that I suppose? :/
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

That's been pretty much the universal reaction. :D My orthopedist told me he usually tells people to make up some story about how they injured themselves, like "skydiving", but that I didn't have to. He'd had three women come in with broken arms in a week or so, and the other two were from things like falling down steps or tripping on a dog.

But yeah, the timing kinda sucked. I played almost none of Skyward Sword because I couldn't move my arm. And that game made me a bit motion sick to watch sometimes, so I didn't do as much backseat gaming as I would've otherwise. I missed parts of several dungeons because I had to go lie down.

I did, however, manage to knit a pair of socks. So there's that.