I think I got ripped off (SNES Display box)

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I think I got ripped off (SNES Display box)

Post by jay_are »

Has anyone ever seen boxes of Super Nintendo games that say "For Display Only"?
They were supposedly used at stores only when the games were still sold.
And they tend to be more expensive cause of course they are RARER than normal ones.
Like, a normal box for a normal Super Nintendo game can go from $15 to $30.
Rarer games like Secret of Mana can cost a lot more for box alone.

BUT there's this one game that is one of the rarest ever, Earthbound.
Just the game alone costs around $150 on ebay at BEST.
I bought a box for that game that said "For Display Only" for $100. (!!!!!!!!!!! yes I know, just thought i was getting my hands on a really rare item...)

But the quality of the print looks cheap. Very cheap. I think i got ripped off.
Now there's a ton of people selling tons of display boxes on ebay. They have to be fake.

Here's a pic of the box i paid $100 for, and under is a normal box for another game:
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae53 ... /fake2.jpg

The seller wont accept a return and insists its the real thing.

If anyone has a REAL "For Display Only" box, i really really would appreciate a high quality pic!!!
Its unlikely that many people do... so enjoy my story. :roll:

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Re: I think I got ripped off (SNES Display box)

Post by Sonic# »

I can't tell from the image you've sent. As you say, it does look to be lower quality than a standard SNES box. On the other hand, because Earthbound's display boxes were specially produced (since the ordinary boxes were large), it could be that they were produced that way. Also, from the images that I can find, it could easily be that grainy up close (see http://gameswag.com/view/earthbound-display-box/ ). Maybe you can compare things like the logo, or the alphanumerics on the flaps. Finally, the number of SNES display boxes available says nothing about whether this particular box is real or fake.

I would ask at Earthbound Central ( http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/05/ea ... lay-boxes/ ) or Starmen.net if you want to obtain higher quality images. All I would say right now is that there's no sufficient evidence to prove that it's fake or real. If after looking at the links you find no further evidence, I wouldn't worry about it.

(I'm always surprised at how pricey Earthbound is getting, though I guess without a rerelease the price will just go up. I got the cartridge for under $40 six years ago. Today, I could sell it for a great profit.)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: I think I got ripped off (SNES Display box)

Post by jay_are »

Thank you so much for those links!!!
Judging by the pic on the second link, i don't even have to ask anymore. The folds and everything looks exactly like that on the one i got. Man! :shock: I did not get ripped off after all!!

You were sooo lucky! Under $40? That today is a steal. But I think I remember back then that was moderately high........... xD gosh.