Psn Rpg Update :D

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Soul
Burg Farmer
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Psn Rpg Update :D

Post by Soul »

Three old school rpg's are coming to psn.
They are:
-Chrono Cross
-Final Fantasy 5
-Final Fantasy 6 (which i believe was called Final Fantasy 3 for awhile over here.)

I'm mostly excited about Chrono Cross since i could never get my hands on the game.

Information can be found here.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Psn Rpg Update :D

Post by Kizyr »

...Chrono Cross is old-school? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

Kizyr wrote:...Chrono Cross is old-school? KF

Sucks being old doesn't it? ;)

I was lurking a zelda forums the other day, and I someone on there said that Ocarina of Time is old-school. I'm willing to bet money they've never even heard of Oracle of Ages or Oracle of Seasons...

Pic not Chrono or Zelda, but somehow still related:

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Soul wrote: -Final Fantasy 6 (which i believe was called Final Fantasy 3 for awhile over here.)
I remember a time when I wasn't even aware that there were Final Fantasy games other than the ones released as FFI, FFII and FFIII in the US.

Soul
Burg Farmer

Post by Soul »

I said it's old school because its on the ps1, even though i had and played my ps1 all the time. Its been I think 11 years now since Chrono Cross was released so that's old enough to me xD but that's just my viewpoint on it :P

I sorta wish Square made games like they use to. Final Fantasy 12 was decent but 13 was just to linear for me..so playing games like chrono cross, that i missed out on are like great new experiences :3
Im not saying i HATE 13, i just find most of squares older games better.

Dragon Master Lunar81
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Dragon Master Lunar81 »

Thank you for posting the update on these awesome RPGs. I can't believe that Chrono Cross is old-school either...

Ocarina of Time is old-school?? I think the new generation has just lost sense of the difference between young and old...hehe kiddin...

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Soul wrote:I said it's old school because its on the ps1, even though i had and played my ps1 all the time. Its been I think 11 years now since Chrono Cross was released so that's old enough to me xD but that's just my viewpoint on it :P
Ah, don't sweat it. I was more bemoaning the fact that games that still 'feel' new to me are actually over a decade old. 'Course it doesn't help that some of these games I haven't even played yet. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

Just recently I realized that we are twice as far removed today from the release of Final Fantasy VII than we were from the NA release of Final Fantasy I when FFVII came out (14 years vs. 7 years). It's a crazy thing for me to think since it doesn't seem long ago to me that FFVII was almost universally accepted as the dividing line between "old school" and "new school" Final Fantasies/Square games/RPGs.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Vic mentioned on NeoGAF that Vanguard Bandits will be on PSN on Nov. 22nd.
-Nobi

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Do you ever reach the realization that you will never play some games?

I'm starting to feel that way about Final Fantasy IX. *duck*
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Thanks For posting this I love when the PSN gets older RPGs that I remember from back in the day.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

LunarSilverStar
Meribian Merchant

Post by LunarSilverStar »

Soul wrote:Three old school rpg's are coming to psn.
They are:
-Chrono Cross
-Final Fantasy 5
-Final Fantasy 6 (which i believe was called Final Fantasy 3 for awhile over here.)

I'm mostly excited about Chrono Cross since i could never get my hands on the game.

Information can be found here.
You're not missing much. Chrono Cross kinda... SUCKED. It's definitely no consolation for Squaresoft and now Square-Enix not giving us a Chrono Trigger 2 or Chrono Break.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Speak for yourself. I've played through Chrono Cross as much as I've played through Lunar 1 and enjoyed it immensely.

Maybe Soul can come back and tell us what they think of it.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

This reminds me that at some point I need to sit down and try Chrono Cross again. I didn't like it from the little I played of it the first time, but I probably just needed to play more of it. Too many games I need to play again or just play period. I'm glad I didn't get any games this holiday season. XD

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

LunarSilverStar wrote:
You're not missing much. Chrono Cross kinda... SUCKED. It's definitely no consolation for Squaresoft and now Square-Enix not giving us a Chrono Trigger 2 or Chrono Break.
Your opinion of Chrono Cross has my support.

And to be quite honest I'm not sure that a Chrono Trigger 2 or Chrono Break would have been any better. Chrono Cross is one of those games I wish didn't exist. The same goes with Lunar: Dragon Song. Games like that are the reason I don't go around begging for sequels for games, often times you wind up disappointed with the result.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Square released a ton of games in 1999-2000, and compared to those Chrono Cross was good. Compared to Chrono Trigger's characters and story, it falls short. It's good for what it is, and while the massive supporting cast have almost no character development I still think it's enjoyable enough to drop $10 to play on a PSP.

People in other forums seem to want a new Chrono game, but I dread the thought. After playing through the 3rd Birthday, I'm fairly convinced that Squenix isn't capable of putting a good story anymore, and it would probably have great graphics, a nice soundtrack, but end up being a terrible game overall.