Duck Hunt

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Duck Hunt

Post by Monde Luna »

So I plugged in Duck Hunt last night for some nostalgia and I sucked monkey balls. I couldn't figure out why I sucked so bad and then it dawned on me.... it's the TV. Apparently you can't play Duck Hunt on new TV's because the light gun isn't exactly compatible w/ LCD/Plasma etc.. TV's. What a bummer, in some ways I feel like it's the end of an era.

Although I must say the NES games do look great on large TV's. BTW we recently bought someones lot of NES games, the lot included Castlevania 1-3, Zelda, and and Goblins (I always want to call it Ghouls and Ghosts). I feel like I scored.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Duck Hunt

Post by phyco126 »

Sweet! My sister spent tons of money to buy a working NES and Mario games a few years ago. She got really good at them because of how often she would play.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Totally sweet I got lucky, I only spent $40. And we still have a NES in the box unused we will probably save it for all eternity.

One thing I did notice right away is that the NES is so hard on your joints, particularly the thumb so I will be limiting my time on it. But it's awesome nonetheless. Glad your sister is having a blast w/ her system.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

The NES is the bomb! Though I will have gamer's thumb for the rest of my life...

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Clearly you should go to some sort of yard sale and buy an old TV to play Duck Hunt.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Gotta love the old original nintendo. <3

That had all the awesome classics on it. Duck Hunt is worth getting a cheap, old TV for. It's so much fun to play. Congrats on picking up amazing games.

WhiteKnightLeo
Red Dragon Priest

Post by WhiteKnightLeo »

Yeah, this happens all the way up to the PS2 actually. I use my ps3 Guncon with Time Crisis but I tried to buy a ps2 Guncon (because I'm stingy) and it would not work because of the new system set ups. Bummer.

-WKL-

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Dark_Fairy wrote:Gotta love the old original nintendo. <3

That had all the awesome classics on it. Duck Hunt is worth getting a cheap, old TV for. It's so much fun to play. Congrats on picking up amazing games.
I couldn't convince my hubby on getting an on tv considering we just got rid of one. :P So I guess I'm stuck w/ Links Crossbow for now.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Old game consoles generally look best on an old CRT TV. There's no input lag, even if your LCD has a gaming mode, input lag can be noticeable.

LCDs and Plasma's don't refresh quite as quickly as a CRT rasters, a CRT can produce darker blacks and overall has a better image quality. Unfortunately, because of their size and weight newer CRTs aren't too popular (I have an HD CRT TV). For something like light gun games or even ROB the robot you need a CRT.

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by LunarRaptor »

I have one thing to add: I hate that frikkin dog.
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

DragonmasterDan wrote:Unfortunately, because of their size and weight newer CRTs aren't too popular (I have an HD CRT TV).
Good to know there's still enough demand that they get made, though. High def and runs my old light gun games? Win-win.
「まあいいけど。」

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Shiva Indis wrote:
DragonmasterDan wrote:Unfortunately, because of their size and weight newer CRTs aren't too popular (I have an HD CRT TV).
Good to know there's still enough demand that they get made, though. High def and runs my old light gun games? Win-win.
They're getting tougher to find unless you want an off brand, I bought mine (a Toshiba) in 2006.