Sega CD

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
User avatar
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:12 pm
Contact:

Sega CD

Postby Dark_Fairy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Alright. I finally splurged and got a Sega CD. I really mainly only wanted a new Genesis because the one I have is a really junky one, but I couldn't pass up an awesome auction like this one when I needed a Genesis anyway.

So, the Sega CD + Genesis I won has the ability to play import Sega CD and Genesis games it seems. It says that the Genesis has been cut or something to allow import carts to be played. The auction comes with one Sega CD game, 5 Mega CD games, and some Pro CD-X cart...which I have no idea what that cart is for (maybe to play the Mega CD games?). Totally wasn't my intention to go that extra mile, but since I needed a new Genesis and there was a really good Sega CD auction up on Ebay, I couldn't pass it up. And the ability to play imports helped my decision. :lol:

I'm looking for some game recommendations please! They can be Mega CD, as long as someone Japanese illiterate can play the game.

Here are the games it comes with:
Vay (I'm excited about this one. This is the only Sega CD game of the bunch. Rest are Mega CD)
Earnest Evans
Rise of the Dragon
Sonic CD
Wolfchild
Super League CD

I also have a few games (Sega CD, none Mega CD) already before I went to this auction:
Lunar The Silver Star
Dungeon Master II Skullkeep (randomly acquired, never played it yet)
Rise of the Dragon (randomly acquired, never played it yet. I have both English and Japanese versions of this game now :roll: )

Aside from the obvious suggestion of Lunar Eternal Blue which I plan on getting so I can actually have a copy of it now that I have the system to play it on, what other games do you guys suggest? I was thinking about Popful Mail too.

User avatar
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:16 pm
Location: New Milford, CT
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby Nobiyuki77 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Snatcher and Popful Mail. You're welcome. :-P
-Nobi

User avatar
CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:00 am
Location: Brandon, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby CatsWithMatches » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:05 am

Good luck finding Snatcher. I saw a booth selling it at Acen for $250. O.o

User avatar
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby Dark_Fairy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:19 am

Nobiyuki77 wrote:Snatcher and Popful Mail. You're welcome. :-P


Just what I expected to hear. XD

I checked Ebay for Snatcher. All of them are about $200. I won't be paying that much for only 1 game, unfortunately. There is one up for auction without the instructions though for only $0.99 at the moment though. It'll probably shoot up fast though.

I have my eye on a Popful Mail auction though. There's one with everything for a decent price right now.

Now isn't a good time for Lunar Eternal Blue, which stinks. The last time I looked about half a year ago, they were still going for about $40 - $50 with everything (case, manual, game). Which was fine. Now the only ones I see are for $60 - $90 for everything. I could get just the game for $35 through one seller...but no. I'm waiting for a good one to pop up. Hopefully one I don't have to pay so much for.

CatsWithMatches wrote:Good luck finding Snatcher. I saw a booth selling it at Acen for $250. O.o


I recall seeing a booth at Acen with a bunch of games. I was excited to see a booth like that, but all of them were over priced when I looked. It made me sad. :cry:

User avatar
WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:25 am
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby WD RPG WD » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Dungeon Master II = Time waster. Very tedious by todays standards. Moving around from place to place takes a lot of time and kills the experience. Eye of the Beholder is a game just like it on Sega CD and is a lot better. Plus it has an amzing soundtrack done by Yuzo Koshiro who did Shinobi and Streets of Rage among others. Find it.

Rise of The Dragon = Very underrated Sega CD game. You should have fun with it. Sort of a Blade Runner adventure game.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that Sonic CD is amazing. It's my second favorite Sonic game behind 3.

If I could give you a recommandation on a game it would be "Wirehead". It is the best game on SEGA CD and Sir Kizyr would agree with me on this. I'm sure you could find it for less than $500 on ebay. The story is just so amazing with top-notch acting!

User avatar
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby Dark_Fairy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:30 pm

I probably won't even bother with Dungeon Master II then. I picked it up for a couple of dollars at a flea market anyway along with Rise of the Dragon. I'll have to try Rise of the Dragon though.

I've always wanted to try out Sonic CD. It's about the only classic Sonic game I haven't played. So I'm really excited about it too. I'm sure it's going to be awesome. XD

Wirehead sounds like it could actually be lots of fun from the description I read of it. The only thing that's stopping me from getting it right this second is that I have 5 packages coming, and probably 6 since I'm more than likely going to try and get Popful Mail first. One being the Sega CD/Genesis I got and the others being things for my ancient computer, a battery for my Ipod, and a new charger cord for my laptop.

I'm definitely going to get Wirehead once all these dang things come since it seems to be a cheaper Sega CD game compared to the others. Everything just sort of starting messing up on me so I had to order replacements for my stuff. Sometimes I love electronics. :roll:

And I'm assuming you meant under $50 since they are under $50 on Ebay, lol.

User avatar
WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:25 am
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby WD RPG WD » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:18 pm

Dark_Fairy wrote:I probably won't even bother with Dungeon Master II then. I picked it up for a couple of dollars at a flea market anyway along with Rise of the Dragon. I'll have to try Rise of the Dragon though.

I've always wanted to try out Sonic CD. It's about the only classic Sonic game I haven't played. So I'm really excited about it too. I'm sure it's going to be awesome. XD

Wirehead sounds like it could actually be lots of fun from the description I read of it. The only thing that's stopping me from getting it right this second is that I have 5 packages coming, and probably 6 since I'm more than likely going to try and get Popful Mail first. One being the Sega CD/Genesis I got and the others being things for my ancient computer, a battery for my Ipod, and a new charger cord for my laptop.

I'm definitely going to get Wirehead once all these dang things come since it seems to be a cheaper Sega CD game compared to the others
. Everything just sort of starting messing up on me so I had to order replacements for my stuff. Sometimes I love electronics. :roll:

And I'm assuming you meant under $50 since they are under $50 on Ebay, lol.


lol, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Don't buy it! I just checked ebay and it's going for $29.00!! What a rip-off! It is actually a pretty terrible game. I own it and Kizyr, Jenner and I played it one night and it was so bad that it became very entertaining. I was joking when I said it was under $500. I thought it would be selling for $4.99. I would have felt terrible if you bought it. :x

User avatar
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby Dark_Fairy » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Okay, I gotcha. Totally didn't catch you were joking in your post. I fail. XD

Even then, it sounds like a fun game just because it sounds terrible. Sometimes those terrible games are fun to get just to make fun of them, really. I've had really fun experiences playing those type of games with my friends around. I wouldn't have bought it for $29 anyway. I was going to bid on the one for only $0.99. I noticed omebody did buy the $29 copy though. o_o

User avatar
DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend
Posts: 352
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:53 pm

Re: Sega CD

Postby DragonmasterDan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:14 am

I agree with the recommendations of Snatcher and Popful Mail. Lunar 2 is also a good choice, I'd recommend Sonic CD and Wonder Dog if you like Platformers. If you like shooters Keio's Flying Squadron is excellent.

I assume you're getting a Sega CD 1 (hooks to the bottom) with that import cart? I don't believe it's compatible with other versions (that's why I'm asking). I know there's another cart out there that allows you to load roms of other Sega CD BIOS's to get around it but even it's not perfect as it doesn't work with every possible model.

User avatar
Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)
Posts: 8055
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:36 am
Location: Marius Zone
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby Kizyr » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:43 am

Ok, here are the must-have games if you ask me (some of which have already been named):

- Lunar 2
- Lunar 1
- Sonic CD
- Popful Mail
- Snatcher
- Ecco 1-2 (NOT YET MENTIONED)
- Silpheed (NOT YET MENTIONED)
- Vay

And WD is right. Don't get Wirehead! It's not really in the "so bad it's good" category to the point where it's worth it--just check a YouTube video for the entire story and you're fine. KF

User avatar
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby Dark_Fairy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm

DragonmasterDan wrote:I agree with the recommendations of Snatcher and Popful Mail. Lunar 2 is also a good choice, I'd recommend Sonic CD and Wonder Dog if you like Platformers. If you like shooters Keio's Flying Squadron is excellent.

I assume you're getting a Sega CD 1 (hooks to the bottom) with that import cart? I don't believe it's compatible with other versions (that's why I'm asking). I know there's another cart out there that allows you to load roms of other Sega CD BIOS's to get around it but even it's not perfect as it doesn't work with every possible model.


Yes, it's the one that hooks on the bottom. I honestly don't know that much about the Sega CD, so it's good to know this information. I'll look into Wonder Dog and Keio later today to see if I'm interested.

Kizyr wrote:Ok, here are the must-have games if you ask me (some of which have already been named):

- Lunar 2
- Lunar 1
- Sonic CD
- Popful Mail
- Snatcher
- Ecco 1-2 (NOT YET MENTIONED)
- Silpheed (NOT YET MENTIONED)
- Vay

And WD is right. Don't get Wirehead! It's not really in the "so bad it's good" category to the point where it's worth it--just check a YouTube video for the entire story and you're fine. KF


I've never played any of the Ecco games or know anything about them other than a dolphin is apparently your character. Never heard of Silpheed. I'll have to look into that one too. And I'll stay away from Wirehead then. XD

Out of that list, I plan to get Lunar 2 and Popful Mail. I already have Lunar 1, and I will be getting Sonic CD and Vay. So, it looks like I'm already on my way to getting the best games. :lol:

So for sure I'm getting Lunar 2 and Popful Mail. I'll probably get one more and then hold off on getting anything else for a while. So I'll have to figure out which one of the recommendations sounds the most interesting. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

User avatar
CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:00 am
Location: Brandon, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby CatsWithMatches » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:52 am

I'll second the Ecco games. The sega cd versions have MUCH better music.

User avatar
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
Posts: 691
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:55 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: Sega CD

Postby Monde Luna » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:04 am

I'll also vouch for Ecco. I totally forgot about Ecco until Kizyr mentioned it. I remember Ecco being done well and it was one of my fav Sega CD games.

I know I have mentioned it before (long ago) but I also really enjoyed Willy Bemish. The load times in Bemish are a bit much though I'm not sure I could replay it now but it was great back in the day.

User avatar
Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:12 pm
Contact:

Re: Sega CD

Postby Dark_Fairy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:35 pm

I've looked at all of the suggestions, and other than Lunar 2 and Popful Mail that I will eventually get, I might get Silpheed. Out of all of them, I'd rather have Keio Flying Squadron or Snatcher, but both of those are going for way over my price limit on Ebay. There's a couple of copies of Snatcher for less than $100 right now that I will keep an eye on, but I'm probably not even going to bother because they will probably get too expensive for me.


Return to “General Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests