easy shooter recommendations

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
maravida
Lann Fisherman
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

easy shooter recommendations

Post by maravida »

so, even though i am a video game veteran (been playing since i could pick up a controller) i am an absolute novice at shooter games. (excuse me if "shooter games" isnt the proper terminology, i didnt think FPS was appropriate as not all the games im referring to are first person) my room mate is also an avid gamer, we play RPGs together (level build for each other, stuff like that) and hes been trying to get me into shooters for a while so we can play games together. i got a PSP and he bought resistance for it. i actually like it alot, and playing on easy mode, ive been able to make some decent progress. however, i still struggle a bit. im just not used to the mechanics and such. so i was wondering if anyone can recommend anything thats really good for a beginner. i'd like to build up my skills a bit so i can play with friends online and such. any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Re: easy shooter recommendations

Post by Shin Otaku III »

I would have to say borderlands. Although, it didn't come out on PSP, if you have a 360, PS3, or a decent computer, you should check it out. It does a very interesting mix of shooter + RPG, and it has co op so you can play with friends!! :D

maravida
Lann Fisherman

Post by maravida »

yes i do!

thanx for bringing that up, i meant to mention that i have PS3 and a 360! so borderlands is pretty simple huh? i think my room mate may have that. for PS3 most likely, as we just got the 360!

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

If you want to get used to shooting in a social atmosphere, I would recommend Team Fortress 2. It's multiplayer only, over the internet. Certainly, sometimes you'll find asses, and the first several times you will die horribly often like I did, but it was very encouraging, very interesting, and with the different classes, I had a lot of fun.

I would also suggest those games that are blendings of shooters and RPGs. Mass Effect is a good example, or Fallout 3. Their shooter aspects are rather light, but engaging enough that you can learn the basics (like controlling a character in a shooter game, how not to run out into a crowd of enemies and get gunned down... y'know).
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Shin Otaku III
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Shin Otaku III »

maravida wrote:yes i do!

thanx for bringing that up, i meant to mention that i have PS3 and a 360! so borderlands is pretty simple huh? i think my room mate may have that. for PS3 most likely, as we just got the 360!
I wouldn't call it simple. Like any RPG, the difficulty starts out easy and gets progressively harder as you level.

maravida
Lann Fisherman

Post by maravida »

fair enough, thanx guys! i think im going to try and check out fallout 3 and borderlands this week since my roomie owns both of those.