Dragon Quest IX

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Dragon Quest IX

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote: My understanding is that DQVIII was localized by a British company. I've gotten the feel that the Dragon Quests released since then are trying a little too hard to sound British. I don't know whether it's an American company doing it, or the same British company trying to retain the magic of VIII's localization, but the dialogue just doesn't feel as natural as VIII's.

To be honest, I kind of miss ye olde English of the original NES localizations. Or even the classic Enix feel of DQVII. The DQs were always whimsical, but it's getting to be a bit much.

Incidentally, I got the game yesterday! I happened to be in Atlanta today and canvassed the entire downtown area for other DQIXers in tag mode and got nil. I wish I lived in a country in which people actually played DQ games.
I believe this (IX) was localized by Nintendo of America rather than via Square Enix or any sort of subcontractor. I wasn't aware of who localized VIII.

Also did you ever play the GameBoy Color remake of I and II? It really lacks the same charm without the olde English.

Also, NES 3 and 4 don't have the olde English.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I believe this (IX) was localized by Nintendo of America rather than via Square Enix or any sort of subcontractor. I wasn't aware of who localized VIII.

Also did you ever play the GameBoy Color remake of I and II? It really lacks the same charm without the olde English.

Also, NES 3 and 4 don't have the olde English.
Yeah, I did play the remakes. They weren't half as enjoyable without ye olde English. Or square torchlight. Especially DQI, as primitive as it is.

I never got to play III on the NES, but I thought IV had ye olde English. But I could be misremembering; it's been years.

You know, I couldn't have imagined it when VIII came out, but I could easily see a DQ MMO actually work now. IX has convinced me.

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote:
Yeah, I did play the remakes. They weren't half as enjoyable without ye olde English. Or square torchlight. Especially DQI, as primitive as it is.

I never got to play III on the NES, but I thought IV had ye olde English. But I could be misremembering; it's been years.

You know, I couldn't have imagined it when VIII came out, but I could easily see a DQ MMO actually work now. IX has convinced me.
Dragon Warrior IV had some accent to the language (similar to what you saw in the DS remake of IV with each region having distinct linguistic characteristics and phrases, though not nearly as abundant) but it wasn't in the olde English of the first two NES titles.

This morning before work I tried out Dragon Warrior III and IV for NES to check, but my DW III no longer saves (bad internal battery) :(

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I happened to be in Atlanta today and canvassed the entire downtown area for other DQIXers in tag mode and got nil. I wish I lived in a country in which people actually played DQ games.
Well, dang. I wasn't downtown today, but I was doing the same thing at a coffee shop nearby.

That would've been the most random thing.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

DragonmasterDan wrote:
Sonic# wrote:
best localizations
A question - has anyone else noticed a few irregularities in the translations of this one? It's nothing like typos, but little instances where I feel like something's off. Idioms where they use "minute" instead of "moment," things like that?

Otherwise, it's still a very good localization.
Minute and Moment are used fairly interchangeably in standard American English in the use of "Can you wait a *insert here*" or This will just take a *insert here*".

I've not noticed anything particularly appalling in the localization.
They're not interchangeable in the instance Sonic#'s mentioning, but it's not a mistake either. It's a line from Stella, and her whole dialectual schtick is that she gets idioms slightly wrong (well, that and her interjection of "flapping" in every place possible).
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II