Valkyria Chronicles II

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Valkyria Chronicles II

Post by Monde Luna »

Found out it's being released on the PSP this summer. That is kind of a drag. :cry: Is anyone else upset about the fact that we will be operating tanks on the small screen?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: Valkyria Chronicles II

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Custom firmware fixes that problem for me. :) But I think it just wasn't a smart idea to release the 1st game on PS3 and then the 2nd game on PSP. Too many companies are doing stuff like this, splitting up their fanbase by requiring them to buy more than one system to enjoy their favorite series.

It's one of the reasons sales are down in Japan especially.
-Nobi

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Lots of series do that and have been for a while. It's annoying. And expensive.

I will be purchasing, but not day one unless they offer some cool preorder bonus. Truth be told, I'm still working on the first game.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Lots of series do that and have been for a while.
Lunar. >_>

Kingdom Hearts. >_<

Dragon Quest. 9_9

... Though, I'm fine with handheld releases. And in this case, it'll be my first chance to play a game I've ogled from afar. I don't think it's a bad trend, though I can see the point about it being rather detrimental to someone who doesn't have both systems and played the original. In this case, I stand to benefit. When the rerelease of Lunar was made for the PSP, I didn't. >_>
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

If you're unsure of whether or not you'll like the game on a smaller screen, there is a demo on the Japanese PSN. I don't think think playing it on a handheld takes away from the overall experience, but it does alienate those who do not own a PSP.

I'll be picking it up day 1. I loved the first game and I'll pretty much do anything I can to support the series.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I will probably end up picking it up too just because I enjoyed the first installment so much. Actually I am replaying it right now, and now that my ps is hooked up to the net I get to play the add ons which is sweet. (Esp Selvaria's)

If the demo ever comes out for the US version I would love to try it since I am a little leary about playing VC on such a small screen. I prefer console gaming myself.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

I prefer console gaming as well. Lately, I've been doing almost all my gaming on handhelds though. My PSP is stealing all the attention from my other systems.

I wish VC 2 was on PS3, even if the game is still up to par on a handheld. It shocked me a little bit when they first announced it. Totally was not expecting a sequel to VC....let alone for PSP. I guess we'll just have to wait for VC 3 to be announced....then maybe we'll get our console VC back. :mrgreen:

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

whitedragon_nall wrote:I wish VC 2 was on PS3, even if the game is still up to par on a handheld. It shocked me a little bit when they first announced it. Totally was not expecting a sequel to VC....let alone for PSP. I guess we'll just have to wait for VC 3 to be announced....then maybe we'll get our console VC back. :mrgreen:
Ditto. If nothing else, the game really doesn't seem all that portable-friendly. Really long battles that require a decent amount of concentration and whatnot.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I didn't even think about the long battles... It seems like my (borrowed) PSP always dies fast if it's not plugged into an outlet. That could put a damper on things... :shock:

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Haven't looked into it, but I wonder if the mid-battle save function is still present. It'd definitely be good to have for the longer battles. I never used it in the first game, but saving anywhere is a must for portable games.

Is your PSP the original "phat" model? My old PSP had battery issues, so I purchased a "slim". Sony really dropped the ball on the PSP battery. Even with a healthy battery, I still can't get a lot of playtime out of some of the more graphically powerful games.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

I started using the mid-battle save feature when I got tired of dying 3/4 way through an hour long battle and having to start over. It was just that one battle, but still.

PSP battery life is terrible. It's all UMD's fault. Optical media on a portable? What was Sony smoking?! Moving parts suck battery life like nothing else. And since flash media had already reached a pretty sweet capacity and price point, there's no reason for it.

And yet, I still can't bring myself to buy games off PSN and play on a memory stick.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

yep I have the fat PSP =)

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Let's hope the PSP 2, assuming there will be one, addresses the battery life issue. It's really sad when a portable system dies after 2-3 hours. Aren't they supposed to be played NOT plugged into an outlet?

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

agreed

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

whitedragon_nall wrote:Aren't they supposed to be played NOT plugged into an outlet?
Three words. Sega Game Gear. Six AAs, fourish hours of gameplay. My parents didn't care to pay for nonstop batteries, so I got an AC adapter, and that was that.

Maybe it's just because it's black, horizontal, and not Nintendo, but I've always thought of the PSP as the spiritual successor to the GG and Nomad.

Anyway, I'm thinking the PSP2 is going to do something similar to the PSPgo. Only better. I just hope it's backwards compatible and I can rip my UMDs to it.