Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (DS)

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
TerraBemani
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (DS)

Post by TerraBemani »

It's a remake of Lufia 2 on the snes. How in the h*** did I miss this for so long?

*Does happy dance runing around like Zoidberg*

Whoopwhoopwhoobpwhoopooooowhoopppp!!!!! =D

When does this hit the usa too? I know it's been out in japan for a few months. Me thinks we'll know at E3 now.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (DS)

Post by Werefrog »

Wikipedia says that it should be out in fall. I'm interested in this game, but I'm not entirely sure what Lufia II will be like as an action-RPG. Maybe, they'll release a similar remake of the first Lufia if this sells well. I'd much rather play the first Lufia with a revamped battle system.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I am intrigued, but worried. Not so much with making it into an action RPG, that could be fun. But what's the reasoning behind it? Just to sell more copies? That's what worries me.

There's a big difference between making it an action RPG because the developers put some thought into it and decided it could be more fun, and making it into an action RPG because they thought it would make them some cold hard cash.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've been itching to play this, actually. I never got a chance to play the original Lufia and Lufia II, so I'm going to pick up this DS remake of Lufia II to try it out. I played through the Gameboy Color Lufia game and liked it, so that gives me a reason to pick this up.

I really need to actually get both Lufia games for the SNES though. It's on my wishlist. ^^;

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

I'm a little nervous about the changes as well, but am hoping that it will be more the puzzles than the combat. Non-turn based systems don't go as well for me.

Me (playing Star Ocean 2, over 2/3 of the way through)- Darn it, how am I supposed to stop the bad guy from touching that switch? (Flips through book.) Wait, you can move people? And switch between them in battles? Ohhhhhh....

But hey, maybe they'll totally rock it. And if they can keep the rhythms of the original tunes and similar dialogue, I'll be happy.

'My love is my sword!'
'You don't want to hold onto those kinds of thoughts...'
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I'm curious about how Lufia would play as an action RPG. The closest I can picture is something like the Izuna games where the enemies still move with you. Actually that would be pretty cool.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

localflick wrote:I'm curious about how Lufia would play as an action RPG. The closest I can picture is something like the Izuna games where the enemies still move with you. Actually that would be pretty cool.
I think Izuna classifies more as a roguelike. I could totally see Lufia as a Roguelike or something similar. (Incidentally, does anyone know of any roguelikes with good, non-AI extensions to controlling parties with more than one character?)

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

The problem is that Square Enix has bought the rights to Lufia 2. They remade this game and completely ruined it. The characters are all young looking little punks now(Nomura did the art style so it looks like Kingdom Hearts), personalities have been completely changed, and the battle system is no longer turn based. Not to mention, that the characters all wear modern clothes now. It's fricking ridiculous to see Maxim wearing a white t-shirt and leather jacket. This is supposed to be Medieval. He was wearing Knight armor in the original game for god's sake. I'll be passing on this soulless remake, and Lufia 2 is one of my all time favorite games...

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

brightshield wrote:The problem is that Square Enix has bought the rights to Lufia 2. They remade this game and completely ruined it. The characters are all young looking little punks now(Nomura did the art style so it looks like Kingdom Hearts), personalities have been completely changed, and the battle system is no longer turn based. Not to mention, that the characters all wear modern clothes now. It's fricking ridiculous to see Maxim wearing a white t-shirt and leather jacket. This is supposed to be Medieval. He was wearing Knight armor in the original game for god's sake. I'll be passing on this soulless remake, and Lufia 2 is one of my all time favorite games...
Fixed that emphasis for you.

Squeenix isn't the problem. Nomura is the problem. Nomura has always been a problem. Here, read this. Particularly the part about zazz and fatal zazz saturation. (Keeping in mind zazz saturation is a synonym for "Nomurification.")

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

The problem is that Square Enix has bought the rights to Lufia 2. They remade this game and completely ruined it. The characters are all young looking little punks now(Nomura did the art style so it looks like Kingdom Hearts), personalities have been completely changed, and the battle system is no longer turn based. Not to mention, that the characters all wear modern clothes now. It's fricking ridiculous to see Maxim wearing a white t-shirt and leather jacket. This is supposed to be Medieval. He was wearing Knight armor in the original game for god's sake. I'll be passing on this soulless remake, and Lufia 2 is one of my all time favorite games...
So they're changing the battle system and bastardizing the characters designs? Next info will come down that it takes place in space now...

What's really sad about this is that, like Lunar Legend, there are a lot of younger gamers who never played the originals and this could be their first impression of the series. There was a GBA Lufia, and at the very end of the hardware cycle a GBA Lufia which I still play, and the two for snes.

Were there any others? If so I want to pick them up now because I'm probably not touching that when it comes out. What happened to Natsume? They made fun games.

Edit: here's the trailer: http://kotaku.com/5412372/lufia-ii-ds-t ... -like-this and yes, those character designs are ridiculous.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I dunno. I would still buy it, but I don't have enough money for the new games that I want, let alone fifteen year-old games that have been repackaged. Maybe if I come into money, somehow...

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

http://www.natsume.com/

Natsume is still alive and well. They're publishing the game in the US.
The problem is that Square Enix has bought the rights to Lufia 2. They remade this game and completely ruined it. The characters are all young looking little punks now(Nomura did the art style so it looks like Kingdom Hearts), personalities have been completely changed, and the battle system is no longer turn based.
Square Enix published the game in Japan. Neverland actually developed it. So I don't think the weight of blame goes squarely on Square Enix. Maybe Nomura.

If that's a problem at all. I'll have to see more of the system before I can decide. I've liked radical changes in games before (Legend of Mana, Phantasy Star), and I like Kingdom Hearts-style designs, so... I guess I'll see.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Sonic# wrote:http://www.natsume.com/

Natsume is still alive and well. They're publishing the game in the US.
That doesn't bode well. I was thoroughly disappointed by the last couple Natsume-localized games I played (Harvest Moon games.) Riddled with typos, curiously disjointed dialogue, entire bits of the game, bizarrely, romanized but untranslated (Gee, thanks for taking "Wasuridani" out of kana, I totally know what that means)...

Lunar Eclipse
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Lunar Eclipse »

I didn't mind most of the character redesigns, but Tia ... ugh.
Let those who war with life forfeit their own! -- Mareg, Grandia II