Will Wright introduces Spore at the GDC

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Will Wright introduces Spore at the GDC

Post by Ruby »

Here is an amazing bit of footage that if you haven't seen it yet you owe it to yourself to see. This is a recording of a talk at the Game Developer's Conference (GDC) in which Will Wright speaks about the ever-rising cost of content, how that users love to create content, old fashioned programing styles, and how Maxis plans to bring it all together to create what looks to be a simply astonishing game that is codenamed Spore.

A simple description of Spore is that one starts with a single celled organism and takes them all the way to interstellar flight. Players have almost unprecidented control over the look and characteristics of their creatures, the buildings they build and the vehicles they use. In addition while playing the game worlds are populated with other player's creatures and creations to fill out the ecosystems, foreign nations, and alien cultures that will populate your universe.

Spore is scheduled for a Quarter 3 2006 release.

If you want to skip Will Wright's introduction you want to skil to about 11 mintues and 55 seconds into the first video. Though personally, I found the introduction to be interesting.

You'll want to right click one of these files and "Save Target As" to save them onto your computer.

http://meyermike.com/sporevid/WW-0.avi

http://meyermike.com/sporevid/WW-1.avi

http://meyermike.com/sporevid/WW-2.avi

http://meyermike.com/sporevid/WW-3.avi

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Post by DeathBeforeDenial »

http://www.lunarthreads.com/viewtopic.php?t=309

Beat ya by a month. :P

And even in the duct tape and glue demo he had at the convention it still looked outrageously enjoyable, especially with his sandbox theory for the endgame, and goal-oriented gaming at the beginning.

I loved his powers of 10 description of the game too.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Darn.. cuuuurrrsseeee yooouuuuu! Well, I just saw this recently, so there. Glad to see I'm not the only one who cared about this.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I certainly can not wait for this game! I was so excited watching it that I was disappointed when the presentation ended! I showed the video to a friend of mine and he immediately was looking forward to it as well. The game is SO vast that I can't seem to wrap my mind around it! I mean, you can create GALAXIES! XD It is going to be such an awesome game to play! I think Will Wright is officially the god of Simulation Games. Hands down. I'm a really big The Sims fan as well and don't get me wrong they're a lot of fun to, but Spore... wow.

It just sucks that it doesn't come out until next fall ;_; I guess Sims 2 expansions will have to hold me over until then. I kinda wish I hadn't heard about it until it was close to coming out, like Dragon Song. Ah well, guess I can just continue to get myself psyched up for it :D

Btw, have you guys thought of any creatures and/or cultures that you want to create? My friend said he wanted to create a race of Golden Spider Monkeys with Cardboard Armor. LoL

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

I'm going to create bloodthirsty humans that thrive on war and destruction of everything around them.

Then blow the planet up.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Nice to see you back DBD! I was wondering where you had been.
-G1

DeathBeforeDenial
Dragonmaster

Being in the midst of the world, training to be a firefighter, working with kids at my church.

You know how it is G1.

Nice changes to the site by the way. It looks great.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I can't wait for this game. I'm inventing a time machine so I can go forward in time and get it. Then I'll go further forward and get an awesome miniature supercomputer so I can run it like a gameboy, with a holographic viewscreen. :D

I don't know what I'd design though. Would probably play around. Maybe make triangles. :D
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time