Sakura Wars: So Long My Love

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
TerraBemani
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sakura Wars: So Long My Love

Post by TerraBemani »

Anyone pick this up today like me? Or planing too?

Turns out the company that made/help make it is the -same- company that made Thousand Arms too!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Re: Sakura Wars: So Long My Love

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Yes, I picked it up. :-D

About an hour in. So far the translation is really well written and has lots of character without really over doing it. I'm quite impressed, especially for NISA.

I was just playing Ar Tonelico II again last night so yeah, this is LEAGUES above that!

Played the PS2 version first, then went back to try out the Wii version.

Observations:

- The load times are pretty identical on both versions.
- There's a new fading in effect when transitioning from screen to screen on the Wii version. I rather like it.
- The dub is well cast and competently acted.
- The script has subtle differences between Japanese (PS2) and English (Wii). Nothing earth shattering, but the dialogue sounds more natural in the English, if that makes sense. The Japanese version is slightly more in tune with the original dialogue, but it keeps all the same nick-names for Shinjiro the dub contains.
- Observing pieces of background or a character is now down by pointing at the screen in the Wii version, not moving the analogue stick (unless you're playing with a Classic Controller).
- Saving is also faster on the Wii.
- I would recommend a Classic Controller for the Wii version if you have it for one reason. During the LIPS sections, sometimes you have to move the control sticks in certain directions ala Jet Set Radio style. In the PS2 version you use both analogue sticks, with the Wii Remote you use the Nunchuck Control Stick and the D-Pad on the 'mote. It's not as comfortable.
TerraBemani wrote:Anyone pick this up today like me? Or planing too?

Turns out the company that made/help make it is the -same- company that made Thousand Arms too!
Yep, Red Entertainment is the brains behind Sakura Wars. Starting from 2 and forward, they still did all the writing and design, but let Overworks/Sega WOW do the development.

My (rather long) thread about it on NeoGAF can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390161
-Nobi

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Question for those who have it: Are you playing on an 80gb PS3? Just wondering if I have to hook up my PS2 to play or will I be fine with my PS3. Thanks!

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I attempted to order it this morning. Apparently the Wii version is out of stock everywhere. I'm contemplating ordering the PS2 version, but I dunno whether I should wait or not. On the one hand, I can probably get the art book with the PS2 version. On the other, I'd much rather play it on Wii. Decisions, decisions.

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Post by TerraBemani »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:http://www.studio-zel.com/images/SakuraWars.jpg

Yes, I picked it up. :-D

About an hour in. So far the translation is really well written and has lots of character without really over doing it. I'm quite impressed, especially for NISA.

I was just playing Ar Tonelico II again last night so yeah, this is LEAGUES above that!

Played the PS2 version first, then went back to try out the Wii version.

Observations:

- The load times are pretty identical on both versions.
- There's a new fading in effect when transitioning from screen to screen on the Wii version. I rather like it.
- The dub is well cast and competently acted.
- The script has subtle differences between Japanese (PS2) and English (Wii). Nothing earth shattering, but the dialogue sounds more natural in the English, if that makes sense. The Japanese version is slightly more in tune with the original dialogue, but it keeps all the same nick-names for Shinjiro the dub contains.
- Observing pieces of background or a character is now down by pointing at the screen in the Wii version, not moving the analogue stick (unless you're playing with a Classic Controller).
- Saving is also faster on the Wii.
- I would recommend a Classic Controller for the Wii version if you have it for one reason. During the LIPS sections, sometimes you have to move the control sticks in certain directions ala Jet Set Radio style. In the PS2 version you use both analogue sticks, with the Wii Remote you use the Nunchuck Control Stick and the D-Pad on the 'mote. It's not as comfortable.
TerraBemani wrote:Anyone pick this up today like me? Or planing too?

Yep, Red Entertainment is the brains behind Sakura Wars. Starting from 2 and forward, they still did all the writing and design, but let Overworks/Sega WOW do the development.

My (rather long) thread about it on NeoGAF can be found here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390161
*Sneaksneaksneakstealssneaksneakgetsawaydownwarppipebackhomesneaksneak*

So nis delivered it to your house day OF release for the online only version with the artbook? I know it's $50+ shipping. So how much was that total? And I'd love to see more pics of that extra artbook. What is the exact differences between the $40 and $50 ps2 versions? Just the artbook and bigger box?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Just the artbook is included with the $50 version. The $40 for PS2 is the bigger box.

Mind you, with the PS2 version apparently the bigger box is first pressing only. After that's done, it'll revert to a Wii-esque edition that's normal.
-Nobi

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I'm waiting for NISA to send me mine with the extra artbook... @.-

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

My copy just came in! Will definitely give it a shot sometime this weekend.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Almost bought this from Best Buy today, but I decided that I didn't have enough time this weekend to enjoy it properly, so I bought some music instead because I can enjoy music when I'm doing other things that I have to do.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Werefrog wrote:Almost bought this from Best Buy today, but I decided that I didn't have enough time this weekend to enjoy it properly, so I bought some music instead because I can enjoy music when I'm doing other things that I have to do.
D:
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I'll get it soon, I'm sure.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Started playing it this morning and really enjoying it so far.....though I'm only a little bit into Act One. I've noticed the music skips a lot during cutscenes, but that's probably because I'm playing on an 80gb PS3. I'll have to find my old memory cards and hook up the PS2 to make sure.

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Post by TerraBemani »

I know this is waayyyyyyy late but I finally got down to actually playing my copy of this. (Had FFXIII among other games playing too on xbla.) But does the main guy always get punched/hit every time he screws up? Because to be honest at the start he looks like he's just a b**** toy to the police and everyone else. Kinda annoying I get punched in a library for making the "wrong" choice. Noticed Sakura in there too I swear I remember here from the dreamcast ones? Although I never played them.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I had never really heard of Sakura Wars before, but after reading this topic, I decided to give it a go and bought PS2 version from Gamestop on Wednesday. One of the first things I noticed was how\ Kosuke Fujishima did the art. That made me want to buy it more, and thus I did. :D

So yeah. Sakura Wars is pretty awesome. In a way, it's almost like a dating sim with some battles in between. At least, it was like that in Act One. Hopefully there's more battling in Act Two. I've only gotten through Act One so far.

Also, my controller decided to mess up during the "fix the lights" part, and I was so confused to begin with! I didn't understand what some of the things were it wanted me to do with the control sticks. At least I was able to do the running part right. >_<;

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Feh, I still don't have my copy. I would have had it last week if I had managed to type my address correctly when ordering it. D'oh!

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Dark_Fairy wrote:I had never really heard of Sakura Wars before, but after reading this topic, I decided to give it a go and bought PS2 version from Gamestop on Wednesday. One of the first things I noticed was how\ Kosuke Fujishima did the art. That made me want to buy it more, and thus I did. :D

So yeah. Sakura Wars is pretty awesome. In a way, it's almost like a dating sim with some battles in between. At least, it was like that in Act One. Hopefully there's more battling in Act Two. I've only gotten through Act One so far.

Also, my controller decided to mess up during the "fix the lights" part, and I was so confused to begin with! I didn't understand what some of the things were it wanted me to do with the control sticks. At least I was able to do the running part right. >_<;
They take a little getting used to, but the LIPS system is quite awesome. ^_^ It does get more battle heavy toward the end, especially the last chapter.
-Nobi