I've got quite the backlog, what about you?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
ShadowAce
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

I've got quite the backlog, what about you?

Post by ShadowAce »

So recently I looked back and went to see what games I need to finish. The rpgs I need to finish are insane.

PSX
Grandia 1
Final Fantasy VIII (as much as I don't want to)
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross

PS2:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Grandia 2
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts 2
Xenosaga II

That doesn't even include the regular games I need to finish.

Damn World of Warcraft. Damn it for eating up my life. >: (

So any of you have a backlog the size of Texas, as well?

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

I never play more than 1 console RPG game at one time... very rarely I'll play two at once if I have to... but no more than that. I hate losing the stories from RPG games, so I beat it, and master it before moving on to a new game.

And what's this about you not wanting to finish FF VIII!? That game is my 3rd favorite game in the WORLD. Even above Lunar: SSSC, which placed 4th on my list.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Ok...lemme see:

GBA
Lufia The Ruins of Lore
Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls

PSX
Star Ocean The Second Story
Final Fantasy Anthology
Final Fantasy Cronicles (Only need to beat Final Fantasy IV on FFC)
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Legend of Dragoon
Legend of Legaia
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Origins
Arc the Lad Collection

PS2
.Hack//Outbreak
Xenosaga
Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits

Gamecube
Tales of Symphonia

I believe that's it rpg wise.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

I have no back-log of unbeaten games right now. I beat a game before I get a new one most of the time.

meru
Reza Thief

Post by meru »

I actually need to finish only a few of my games. (And I barely have any)
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Cross
Lunar2
My memory card file got erased so I have to start over... :cry:
I wanted healing, attention, and love to gain. But you gave me hatred, abuse and pain.
-Meru

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Bleh on the memory card trouble. Luckily, the only errors I've ever had with it are user-based (turning off too early because of a lapse of justice... arrrgh).

Anyway, my backlog... I haven't got much of one. Currently I'm playing Star Ocean: TtEoT, and am waiting to finish Space Channel 5. I only count games I intend to finish, by the way. The only time it really develops is if I buy a rare game that I know I won't be able to find later. The last time I did this... was probably for Alundra.

I have a small one on my Gamecube though. Sonic Heroes and such. I still have yet to get it fixed.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Ha! I've got everyone beat! =P

Completely Unplayed Games

Baldur's Gate II
Breath of Fire IV
Breath of Fire V
Drakengard
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy IV
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Harvest Moon 3
Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life
Kartia
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
Lunar: Silver Star Story
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark
Persona 2
Pokemon Crystal
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Suikoden II
Suikoden III

Games to finish playing for first time

Albert Odyssey
Baldur's Gate
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
Persona
Pokemon Yellow
Shining Force 3 (all scenarios)
Shining Wisdom
Time Stalkers

And this list does not include anything I bought prior to 1999. (What happened in 1999 was I started working full time and earned this thing called disposible income.)

I've since put myself on a restrictive shopping list ¬_¬ to ensure I do not keep buying more games than I can finish, but since I like games so much it's pretty hard stuff.

Currently I'm playing Disgaea and Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town so I have one console and one portable game going.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Wow Rune, Suikoden II and III? Those are two very top notch games in terms of quality if you're looking for a good storyline. I'd say put the Lunar's first on your list, but obviously, we all know the Lunar stories well enough. Though I'm surprised. You have at least played the imports right?
-G1

ShadowAce
Student of Vane

Post by ShadowAce »

Greensky wrote:I never play more than 1 console RPG game at one time... very rarely I'll play two at once if I have to... but no more than that. I hate losing the stories from RPG games, so I beat it, and master it before moving on to a new game.

And what's this about you not wanting to finish FF VIII!? That game is my 3rd favorite game in the WORLD. Even above Lunar: SSSC, which placed 4th on my list.

Heh, FFVIII was ok, but there were a few things I didn't care for. The aspect of the monsters leveling when you do was a decent idea, however it was just bothersome in the fact that it's easy to get to 100. As much as I tried not to, I ended getting it anyway when I was trying to get th material for Quistis' Save the Queen. :(

What really nailed it though, was when I tried togo through Ultimecia's Castle and I had to keep switching junctions when I had to switch people. It just became horrible and tedious. Funny thing, I haven't finished a new FF game since 7. :\

Bugger it all, I forgot to add Suikoden 4 to the list of RPGs. I won't ever finish Suikoden 3 because I absolutely hate the fact you can't control the camera.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Ohhh, but the story in Suikoden III makes the camera bearable. Suikoden IV is a waste of time though IMO. I personally thought FFVIII was the weakest of all the Final Fantasy games between VII and X. It started out good enough, I just felt like the last disc or two kinda fell apart story-wise.
-G1

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Rune, you havn't even played Ocarina of Time? Wow... that's not cool at all. Why would you buy so many games and never play any of them...? :shock:

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Collectors mentalities and thinking you'll play a game and never get around to it. I've got a backlog of RPGs about the same size as hers. I've resigned myself to knowing I'll likely never finish them all.
-G1

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Wow... you crazy people you :P I'd never buy a new game unless I was finished playing whatever I was currently playing before and had the time to play a new game. I also take pleasure in replaying all of my old games. Gotta appreciate the replay value :D

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually, I rarely buy games anymore, and most of my backlog consists of used games I bought at pawn shops or used game stores for under their value. I got Panzer Dragoon Saga for a 20 dollar PS2 game and lunch to the guy that sold it to me. The same guy sold me Shining Force III for a tank of gas and lunch. Both lunches were Subway, so it's not like a 20 dollar meal or something. And I found Snatcher mint for 5 dollars in a Pawn Shop.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There's also the little matter that some games go out of print and become rare and expensive, so getting them ahead of time is often a good idea.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Bleh... gone from the board too long, but if anyone's wondering...

GhaleonOne wrote:Wow Rune, Suikoden II and III? Those are two very top notch games in terms of quality if you're looking for a good storyline. I'd say put the Lunar's first on your list, but obviously, we all know the Lunar stories well enough. Though I'm surprised. You have at least played the imports right?

Yeah, the Lunars up there are the domestics. I imported for the Saturn since I couldn't wait, and then when my backlog built up there was no longer any time.

I picked up Suikoden II and III, and I'll probably grab IV before it disappears entirely, except that I heard it's pretty mediocre even coming from the mouths of people who really like Suikoden.

Greensky wrote:Rune, you havn't even played Ocarina of Time? Wow... that's not cool at all. Why would you buy so many games and never play any of them...? :shock:

Ocarina of Time is the pre-order bonus I got for Wind Waker. I wanted to played Ocarina back in the day but it was my brother's game and he said he absolutely could not spare a save slot for me (ah... siblings...) because he needed to leave a save slot at Dark Link so he could fight him whenever he wanted. So this one I got as a bonus, and I had a healthy backlog by then, so it just got added to the pile.

As for why I buy so many games... two reasons:

1) I work in the game industry so I consider it extremely important to play a lot of games. It just happens that my favorite genre is RPGs and they take a long time to beat. When I play a non-RPG (Soul Calibur II, Devil May Cry, ICO, etc) it generally gets a jump to the front of the line so I can get my variety in.

2) I hate wanting to play a game and then having to track it down years later for exorbitant amounts of money (like Suikoden II and Panzer Dragoon Saga). I play games when I have the time, which isn't always when the game comes out. For instance, I'm in crunch time at my work right now and I only get one day off a week and the rest of the days are 15 hours long. My Disgaea playing is completely on hold and Harvest Moon gets the occasional half-hour whirl when I come home at night. And if I bought Disgaea when I actually starting playing it (last month) I'd probably be paying a lot more than when I did buy it.

So what I'm doing now is making sure I buy fewer games than I intend to play each year, so that gradually the backlog will go down. It'll eventually go down by a few games each year, or at least that's the idea.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Hmm... you're starting to make it sound like playing videogames is work. :(

Anyways, I hope you get to play all of those games eventually, cause they are very nice games! :D

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Well, in a way it is my work. :) I'm lucky enough that I've been able to turn my hobby into my job.

I'll probably get to the majority of the games eventually. I've been able to rein in my game buying this year so I should get through more backlog.

artzi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by artzi »

PSX
Vandal Hearts 2
Front Mission 3
Wild Arms (replay)
Final Fantasy 6 (PS version)

PS2
Breath Of Fire V Dragon Quarter
Wild Arms 3
Disgaea
Final Fantasy X-2

SNES
Seiken Densetsu 3
7th saga

Mega Drive
Phantasy Star 4 (replay)

GBA
Golden Sun 2

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

Heh heh, I fall into the category of buying boatloads of cheap games and not getting around to all of 'em. I'll start an RPG, then leave it for a year and need a FAQ to orient myself. What can I say, I'm a collector. Usually I get REALLY cheap PSX and Dreamcast bargain bin specials.

GBA
Golden Sun (Then the Lost Age)
FF Dawn of Souls
Lufia: Ruins of Lore
Sword of Mana

PSX
Thousand Arms
Arc the Lad II & III
Chrono Cross
FF Chronicles
FF IX
Fear Effect 2
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Xenogears
Legend of Mana

Dreamcast
Skies of Arcadia

Sega CD
Lunar SS (import)
Popful Mail
Snatcher

And I found Snatcher mint for 5 dollars in a Pawn Shop.

Oh you lucky, lucky, LUCKY guy! It goes for a fortune on e-bay, but don't sell it, Snatcher rocks!