St. Louis Gamerfest about to be launched!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Solana
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

St. Louis Gamerfest about to be launched!

Post by Solana »

Starting to plan your round of conventions for this year? Looking for one that's a little different? How about attending a brand-new event that celebrates every aspect of the gaming lifestyle, being able to beat down total strangers at the games you dominate, participate in discussion panels, and having a voice in what you want to see?

Look no further than the Sheraton of St. Louis, Missouri, during Memorial Day Weekend this year for St. Louis Gamerfest- a brand new convention designed by gamers, for gamers.

http://www.stlgamercon.com

One of the best things about St. Louis Gamerfest will be the opportunities to play what you love or try something new, from old and new school consoles to tabletops and even card games. There will even be a special MA room for 18+ only, and yes, we WILL be checking I.D.'s.

We're still taking ideas and input from the fans, so you can head to the forum (http://minishrine.proboards.com/index.cgi) to sign up and tell us what you want to see. We're also interested in more sponsors, and have an option for fans to help us out in exchange for a free ticket. There's even a special link from the site to get a discount at the Sheraton for lodging.

Let me know if anyone has any questions. Game on!!

Edit: We've decided to wait with the Hall of Fame for a future year.
2nd Edit: The name has been changed to St. Louis Gamerfest.
Last edited by Solana on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: St. Louis Gamercon about to be launched!

Post by Kizyr »

By the way, I'm going to try and go myself. If anyone else here is planning, then let me know and we can coordinate splitting room costs if you'd like. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Consider me planning. ^_^
「まあいいけど。」

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I might actually be able to make this. I had been hoping to be in the general area anyway to visit a friend. But I'll just have to see how my finances are holding up for the long, fundingless summer first. Unless, that is, I miraculously get funding.

Either which way, I have a good friend in southern Iowa who would be interested in going. I'll tell him for sure.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Actually I might be able to hit that.

Edit - who is hosting this? I lurked for a bit today on the forum they have, and Roas and Skylark are names I definitely recognize from the Shrine. This could almost be that Lunar meetup that we've always talked about.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'll have to think about it too. I'll be visiting home at that time - it'd be not so much trouble to make a day trip out of it.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Hmm. I've never been to a con, but getting to meet other people from here would definitely be an incentive. ^_^

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Anon Mous from the Shrine sort of instigated this whole deal.

It's about 90% certain I'll be going at this rate, by the way. If I can work out a few more things and figure out my long-term schedule, I can bump that up to 100%.

If some of you folks are able to go, that can also bump me up to 100% {^^}. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Well, this is one of the conventions closest to me. I don't think it's in the cards this year though.

Anon Mous
Meryod Yokel

Post by Anon Mous »

GhaleonOne wrote:Edit - who is hosting this? I lurked for a bit today on the forum they have, and Roas and Skylark are names I definitely recognize from the Shrine. This could almost be that Lunar meetup that we've always talked about.
Kizyr got it right. This whole thing is kind of my baby. After 7 years with Gamestop I started thinking of what else I could do. This is what I came up with. If you look closely you may also notice other Shriners. In fact our six person partnership is made up of five Shriners. Roas, Skylark, Solana, Ambrienne, and myself. The board itself is actually a haven for us since Rune's board went down.

Considering the question of who is running it came up I thought I would pop my head in and give a little more info. Our schedule is up on our site, but here we go anyway. The main part is the game room. 40 or so TVs with game systems from PS3 to Atari 2600, each with games from a genre depending on the time slot. Don't worry RPG fans. We will have seperate rooms with seperate TVs for both RPG and M-rated games.

Another something that may peak some interests is the display room. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am pretty proud of my game collection. 27 gaming systems (counting a PC), and games for each, plus quite a WD collection autographed by Vic Ireland.
Life's too short not to laugh your way through it.

Anon Mous
Meryod Yokel

Post by Anon Mous »

Continued

We are actually trying to get Vic to come down and participate. As of yet there is no response on his email, but we all know about him and getting things out timely . . . hold for laughter . . . I know that some of you have experience in doing panels and probably some in running tabletop or card games (possible Magic: the Gathering tourney in the works), so if you are interested in helping, like Solana mentioned, we have openings in exchange for free tickets.

If you have any questions about it ask. I will check back here when I can and hang around our board. If you have an opinion about what we should have for play at the con post it on our board. We are taking suggestions. Thanks.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Anon Mous wrote:since Rune's board went down.
?!????!!!!!?!!!?!??

I knew I was out of touch, but ...!

Anon Mous
Meryod Yokel

Post by Anon Mous »

Alunissage wrote:
Anon Mous wrote:since Rune's board went down.
?!????!!!!!?!!!?!??

I knew I was out of touch, but ...!
Yeah, the Shrine is still there, but something fatal happened to the board and it went down a little over half a year ago. Roas set up the Mini Shrine Motel, and it eventually turned into St. Louis Gamercon Central. Rune's stopped by a few times, but she is busy with her stuff most of the time.

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

I'll go if you all go....

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

Interesting, I'm already preparing to take a trip to the Midwest Gaming Classic http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com which starts in two days. But I'd consider hitting this up in two months as well since it's a holiday weekend.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm pretty interested, but I won't be able to commit for a few more weeks. If I go, it'll probably just be for one of the days though, as my best friend lives in St. Louis and I'd like to spend a day with him too as I only get to see him once every year or two. I want to go though. I think it'd be a blast to finally meet some of you.
-G1

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

99% certain that I'm going.

I'll probably make hotel reservations too in the near future, but I'd like to work out if anyone else is going to try and get a larger room. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

So many L-NETers going... wish I could come. This actually has a high possiblity of becoming a pseudo L-NET gathering. :/

God, I really want to go now >.<
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Solana
Student of Vane

Post by Solana »

We're also looking for people to help us out in return for a free ticket, or those interested in leading discussion panels or becoming vendors. Questions or suggestions are more than welcome. :)
This is either madness, or brilliance- Will Turner
It's remarkable how often those traits coincide- Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Solana wrote:We're also looking for people to help us out in return for a free ticket, or those interested in leading discussion panels or becoming vendors. Questions or suggestions are more than welcome. :)
I could discuss something, I'm sure anything I would discuss has no relevance. I am an expert only in failure. :P
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.