Good Old Games for Cheap!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Good Old Games for Cheap!

Post by localflick »

I don't usually recommend services or websites, but there's a site selling classic games that I want to share with as many people as possible. They have games ranging from old dos point and click adventures to more modern first person shooters to obscure niche titles that often turn out to be gems.

Good Old Games has the original Fallout games, the Myst Games, Kings Quest, Rise of The Triad and tons of other games for either $6 or $10 with no DRM, a scanned pdf manual and usually bonus goodies like sound tracks. It's awesome.

Here's the catalog: http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort

I've picked up a few games I haven't played in ages, and the best part is they have quality standards and won't put just any game on there so if you see a game from a genre you like, after reading the user reviews it's really easy to decide if it's right for you or not. They've also modified each game to work with the newest versions of Windows.

If you are a collector of old games or games you can't buy new in stores like Beyond Good and Evil, gog.com is the place to go.

I hope you find a game you love.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Good Old Games for Cheap!

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Recommendation seconded. A cousin of mine got me an invite when GOG was still invitation only, and I've been loving it ever since.

The best thing is really the quality of the download. No DRM, ridiculously high resolution PDF manuals, bonus items, and all the games are updated (or probably virtualized in some cases) to work with XP/Vista/Win7.

Kefka
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kefka »

They definitely put up Another World 15th Anniversary edition like this week. Can't go wrong, there. Really though, they need more games that otherwise have difficulty running on modern systems so we can get some sort of centralization behind the all the horrible garbage that needs to be done to get most PC games from before, say, 1996 running on a real computer.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kefka wrote:They definitely put up Another World 15th Anniversary edition like this week. Can't go wrong, there. Really though, they need more games that otherwise have difficulty running on modern systems so we can get some sort of centralization behind the all the horrible garbage that needs to be done to get most PC games from before, say, 1996 running on a real computer.
Agreed. I have to jump through hoops to get Ultimate Domain/Genesia running even on an XP.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I know Rise of the Triad is running with Dos Box driving it because you can see it when the game boots up. But whatever they did to Fallout is amazing. I couldn't get the original disc version, the version from the Fallout Trilogy Bethesda (re)released working on my netbook no matter what patches or setting I tried. The gog version fired up the first time and works perfectly. It's awesome.

And I like the discovery of new titles the most because there's all these great games I've missed because they were niche titles, or I just never got around to trying them, but they're good. I love this site.