Final Fantasy XIII

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Monde Luna »

That's true I agree w/ everything you said. Especially in regards to EB. My logic doesn't make much sense but when I see a certain character being marketed the way Lightning is I expect a higher level of character development. But then again I shouldn't be surprised. =o). I found Lightnings character to be pretty boring, actually I found the character development a little boring in general in FFXIII.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

I found Lightnings character to be pretty boring, actually I found the character development a little boring in general in FFXIII.

Trust me, you aren't the only one. FF13 is considered to one of if not the worst FF game. It's even more hated that FF12(and that's hard to believe). The battle system gets it's props, but the story, character development, and linearity all get severely bashed by the fanbase.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

The only reason I enjoyed the game was because of it's graphics and battle system. The graphics were amazing, the game was so beautiful. Unfortunately that is not why I buy games. RPG's just aren't the same anymore.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

The graphics were amazing, the game was so beautiful.

Yeah, but Heavy Rain and God of War 3 looked even better, so FF13 didn't "wow" me that much with it's graphics.

Unfortunately that is not why I buy games. RPG's just aren't the same anymore.

Agreed. Square hasn't made a great RPG since Sakaguchi left(Dragon Quest 8 wasn't bad but that was Level-5 and Enix). Fear not though, Atlus still makes some good stuff. If you haven't checked out the Persona series yet, I'd highly recommend it. Persona 4 in particular may be my favorite RPG.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Do you have to play the Persona series in order?

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Monde Luna wrote:Do you have to play the Persona series in order?
Later Persona games reference earlier Persona games, but not for anything important. Just as a nod to people who played the earlier ones. Names of characters or places might be mentioned offhand, that sort of thing. You can play them and enjoy them in any order, really.

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Do you have to play the Persona series in order?

No, it's like Vyse said. You can play them in any order. The only things you'll miss out on are some references and cameos. 1 is a bit dated and somewhat difficult to get into, and 2 is pretty rare. I'd suggest starting at 3 or 4 anyway. Those are the two best games in the series if you ask me(with 4 being better, but less serious).

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

The Shin Megami Tensei series in general is definitely a must for a RPG fan to at least try out. I still have yet to try Persona 4, since I kind of wanted to beat Persona 3 first (I'm about 75% through Persona 3 I think...), but I've played through other Shin Megami games and loved them.

Of course, Persona and the main series Shin Megami games are completely different beasts, but both have their qualities that I like about them.

I'll eventually get around to Persona 4 that I've REALLY been meaning to play, like everything else I haven't played...*hangs head in shame*

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

brightshield wrote:Do you have to play the Persona series in order?

No, it's like Vyse said. You can play them in any order. The only things you'll miss out on are some references and cameos. 1 is a bit dated and somewhat difficult to get into, and 2 is pretty rare. I'd suggest starting at 3 or 4 anyway. Those are the two best games in the series if you ask me(with 4 being better, but less serious).
Seconded, with the understanding that I haven't played the second. P4 is an excellent game, but it was difficult to take the plot as seriously as P3. P3 has much more of an SMT feel to it, and the soundtrack is much better.

The whole SMT series is great, really. I'm in the middle of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and loving it.

Hey, how did we get this far off topic anyway?

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

The Shin Megami Tensei series in general is definitely a must for a RPG fan to at least try out.

Agreed, the series still has it's soul(unlike FF).

P4 is an excellent game, but it was difficult to take the plot as seriously as P3.

Well yeah, P3's plot is much more serious. Even the themes were more serious in Persona 3. In P3 the theme is "face death head on", while in P4 the theme is "do everything in your power to discover the truth". Personally, I like the plot in P4 more as it's more interesting in the beginning and middle. Persona 3 has the more intense end game though. Really, it's the characters that I like a lot more in P4. There were some cool ones in 3 as well, but there were also several bastards. The biggest example being Junpei vs. Yosuke. Junpei from 3 was friendly most of the time, but he was also a jealous douchebag at several points. Yosuke seemed a lot more like a true friend.

P3 has much more of an SMT feel to it,

P3 definitely has a darker plot overall.

and the soundtrack is much better.

You think so? I didn't like it all that much. I preferred the P4 and P2 music by a long shot. The P4 boss music is probably my favorite song in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_58-XYXuJMs

The whole SMT series is great, really. I'm in the middle of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey and loving it.

Devil Survivor is awesome as well.

Hey, how did we get this far off topic anyway?

Me and Luna were disappointed with FF13. So I recommended her the Persona series, since Square can't seem to deliver anymore.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Okay so after reading everyone's positive responses (Thank you BrightShield) to Persona I am going to have to give it a shot. After I beat SSH of course. =o) I will need a new game to play through while I procrastinate in June.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Monde Luna wrote:Okay so after reading everyone's positive responses (Thank you BrightShield) to Persona I am going to have to give it a shot. After I beat SSH of course. =o) I will need a new game to play through while I procrastinate in June.
I've got something you can play with. 8-)
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

It must be my lucky day

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Thank you BrightShield

No problem, you don't have to thank me.

I am going to have to give it a shot.

Which one are you going to start with?

I've got something you can play with.

:lol:

Oh no you didn't!

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I don't know I'll check out gamestop in June and see if I can find 3 or 4. But based on what I have read I would like here I would like to start w/ 3.