Final Fantasy XIII

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Monde Luna »

Lol that's pretty funny. I couldn't imagine playing a newer FF game on a nintendo console. I'm surprised it's even being releaed on the Wii.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I didn't think it was being released for the Wii. But then again, the Fabula Nova Stupidnamus has something like a bazillion (three) games, so at least one of them should be Wii-bound. After all, they're sure to announce a bazillion (two) more once FFXIII sells a metric ton.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

I got my Gameinformer today and it had an ad for FFXIII Wii. It actually (not surprising in the least) has a huge ad about the game. FF always gets all the attention. Hopefully the game is awesome, you never know w/ FF.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It's not April Fool's yet, are you sure you aren't looking at the April edition of Game Informer? The only current Final Fantasy games for the Wii are the crappy Crystal Chronicles port from the DS and Crystal Bearers. Then you have Final Fantasy IV The After Years on WiiWare.

I'm going to get the game a midnight tonight, and frankly I could care less. Yeah, I should just pick it up tomorrow but I may throw it in the PS3 tonight while a friend is here. I feel bad for neglecting Lunar, because I haven't had time to sit down and dump a lot of time into it. People seem to be rushing through it because of FFXIII coming out.

Monde Luna
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Monde Luna »

Hey I'm just 3 weeks early. :lol: Actually what happend was I (meaning my husband) was looking through game informer and he showed me the ad and said wii. I proceded to be shocked and shrugged in shock. Then I planted that nonsense into Lnet. I just looked at the mag and it's clearly advertising on PS3 and 360. Sorry for the misinformation :oops:

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I actualy got it today, I'm surprised. I usualy get games few days after their release. But I'm probably gonna finish Yakuza 2 first, then move to FF13 (and Yakuza 3 >.<).
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

I got mine today from FedEx. I'm still not planning on starting it though. Actually I'll be lucky if I get to play Lunar much over the next few days. it's tempting to go ahead and stick it in my PS3 and just watch the prettiness though.

It appears the PS3 version is getting a code that will unlock a special item. A 1Up.com article even claims it could get you into FFXIV beta eventually.
† Final Night †

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Post by TerraBemani »

*SPOILERS AND SUCH*

It only took me a bit over 9 hours just to get past the first disc. I thought that was REALLY short. I have the 360 version as well. The install size for the first two disks are almost 6GB each. And am I playing Xenosaga here? Watch this game be like 30 hours tops to beat and 29 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds of it be fmv. XD And it seems like a LOT of what makes Final Fantasy Final Fantasy is gone. Seriously. The battle system can kiss my *** too. I mean you have to "shift" just so you can use more than just only attacks/magic/etc? And you can't actually control the other party members during battle as well. It's like this game is only for LOL 1080P HD pretty and the causal fan. They did this to Resident Evil 5 as well. Made both really really easy.

lady465
Meribian Merchant

Post by lady465 »

I got a message that mine shipped on Monday and if I check on Amazon my estimated delivery date is next Wednesday. Why in the world would it take a week in a half to go from Kentucky to Ohio? Apparently it's going super snail mail. This is what I get for not paying for quicker shipping like I did on my Lunar!

Guild_Premier_Ghaleon
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Guild_Premier_Ghaleon »

I haven't had a whole lot of time to play it yet, but from what I have played, it's a lot of fun. The battle system is excellent too. I thought it sounded simplistic before, seeing as how there are no magic points and the like, but it's actually genuinely challenging at times. I also thought the paradigm shift was like, an afterthought in the programming, but no, it's not. If you don't utilize the specific paradigm's, you're gonna die. And the Eidolon's too! I recently got Lightning's, and it's very cool. Anyways, so far my impression of the game is good. Let's hope it lasts.
"Perhaps you should demonstrate the power which gives you such confidence. Then we shall see who is fit to be supreme ruler, and who... is dead!"

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I ended up finishing Yakuza 2 and starting this. I just got to chapter 3 and its pretty good. The graphics are nice, so is the vocie acting. The battle theme gets good later, but the battles don't last long enough for now. Story is pretty slow-paced, but its not bad.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Final Night
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Final Night »

Yeah, I've really been enjoying the game also. I'm only about 3 hours in, but it's been great. The characters are all enjoyable (so far), battle theme is solid, and I'm starting to enjoy the battle system.

The battle system even though it's designed to be fast paced still has that whole turn based-RPG feel (in the ATB sense) rather than an action-RPG. I was surprised by that since I figured that this was basically just going to be an action RPG with a menu. I could see where some could get that feeling.

I'm getting used to the paradigm shift.
† Final Night †

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Some of the boss battles have been really long, fyi. We're just starting chapter...10? Something like that.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Beat the game yesterday. Some of the bosses later on are just plain EVIL. *shudder*
-Nobi

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Huh, interesting. It seems like a majority of the people here are enjoying FFXIII and have positive things to say about it. Other places I've been, I've heard NOTHING but negatives about the game.

Since I heard nothing but negatives, and given the fact I lost all hope in FF to begin with, I just decided not to get it all together. Originally I was going to try it before I heard all the terrible things about it.

However, considering I trust you guys the most when it comes to gaming opinions, out of curiosity, do you think I should give this a chance?

Now, keep these few things in mind before you recommend this to me:
1. I hate FFXII. Everything about it. If FFXIII is anything like FFXII, then I'm staying away.
2. The last FF I enjoyed was FFX. I heard some people compare FFXIII to FFX in other places. If this is the case, do you think I'll enjoy FFXIII?

Anyway, opinions? DF will appreciate your opinions on the matter. I might get it if you all think I should (even if I am bogged down already with a ton of games...@_@).

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I'm tempted to get it because it has a female protagonist and I really want to encourage the continuation of that....

but yeah... noooot sure. I'll need to hear more about it.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Dark_Fairy wrote:Huh, interesting. It seems like a majority of the people here are enjoying FFXIII and have positive things to say about it. Other places I've been, I've heard NOTHING but negatives about the game.

Since I heard nothing but negatives, and given the fact I lost all hope in FF to begin with, I just decided not to get it all together. Originally I was going to try it before I heard all the terrible things about it.

However, considering I trust you guys the most when it comes to gaming opinions, out of curiosity, do you think I should give this a chance?

1. I hate FFXII. Everything about it. If FFXIII is anything like FFXII, then I'm staying away.
2. The last FF I enjoyed was FFX. I heard some people compare FFXIII to FFX in other places. If this is the case, do you think I'll enjoy FFXIII?

Anyway, opinions? DF will appreciate your opinions on the matter. I might get it if you all think I should (even if I am bogged down already with a ton of games...@_@).
Basically, I'm in the same boat as you. Hated XII, Enjoyed X. Basically, here's my opinion of the game. You'll like it, if you're willing to accept a few conditions. Namely, that you probably won't like most of the characters at first (though they grow and become better), that the game starts out pretty easy only to become insanely difficult by the end, and that it starts REEEEEEEEEEALLY slowly. Like, you can't even arrange your party members until about 20 hours in! o_O

The game is really slow to get started, and is also extremely linear in the early 20ish hours. There are no towns in the traditional sense, so outside of "dungeon, battle, dungeon, battle, boss, cutscene, dungeon..." there's very little to break up the action.

This game is HARD! I've seen more Game Overs in this FF than all the past FFs I've ever played combined! The game is designed that way though, they want you to get in over your head. That's why it has the "Retry" option so you'll start right outside of the battle you just lost to. That way you're not forced to go all the way back to your last save. It encourages you to get your posterior handed to you so that you can say "Hmm, well that didn't work! Let's try a new strategy!" before trying again. Because that's really what this battle system is all about; managing your formations in a fast and furious battle. I'll admit, it takes a while to get the hang of it, but once you do, the battle system is easily the best part of FFXIII.

The story in FFXIII isn't amazing or anything, but it's serviceable. Compared to FFXII, who's story starts out great and then completely collapses around 15-20 in, FFXIII's story is more consistent throughout, for better or worse. You will dislike Vanille though. That's pretty much a given, everyone does. My fav was Sazh personally. Any dude with a baby chocobo nesting in his 'fro is pretty awesome in my opinion.

Oh, and while the summons are pretty, you'll hardly ever use them. They're pretty worthless. >>

I beat the game in about 50 hours, so set aside some time. I enjoyed the game, but it's not my new favorite Final Fantasy. That's my opinion, feel free to take it for what it's worth.
-Nobi

Lunar3coming
Nanza Bandit

Post by Lunar3coming »

Dark_Fairy wrote:Huh, interesting. It seems like a majority of the people here are enjoying FFXIII and have positive things to say about it. Other places I've been, I've heard NOTHING but negatives about the game.

I finished this game and if you didn't like Final Fantasy XII then you'll probably hate this one too.

1. The battle system was boring and having to change the paradigms all the time was a big drag. Each time at the first of a battle when you switch a paradigm, you are forced to watch the same stupid animation over again. The battle system was not fun at all. Lightning attacks against mechanical monsters, fire attacks against plant monsters, ice attacks against fire monsters were pretty much all pointless and the only "real" damage comes after the enemy is put in break mode. Hearing the same battle theme for 40 hours gets annoying too.

2. The story was terrible. It throws tons of jargon at you without helping you understand what's going on for several hours. The characters (while very nice looking thanks to Tetsuya Nomura) are a total drag and everything about them is cliche. The story is basically uninteresting all the way to the end.

3. There are basically no towns that you can explore. They are pretty much a linear path to walk on. All shopping is done at terminals...gay. Cocoon is supposed to have millions of citizens...um, where are all these people, Square-Enix?

4. The soundtrack was a hit and miss all the way along...

5. Graphics are pretty much the only good thing going for this game but unfortunately Square-Enix manages to recycle a number of CG sequences which was a good way to show us they were too lazy to make something else...

6. The fact that you are forced to fight monsters to get almost every treasure chest...gay. Did anybody like finding huge tough monsters in treasure chests in old-school RPGs? I sure didn't and like 85% of Final Fantasy XIII's treasure chests are set up that way...ultra-gay.

My opinion: Final Fantasy XIII is one of the worst purchases I have ever made. Don't make the same mistake and buy this lemon and especially not at full-price. It'll be cheap for a used copy soon enough because it's really that bad. Final Fantasy has really been going downhill since Final Fantasy X...
Last edited by Lunar3coming on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I really like it. What's really something is that when that Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie came out it looked pretty good as a cg movie. Now the series has caught up to the point where the in-game graphics are just as good.

I'm still just starting out so I can't say much for the plot aside from the fact that world is really vast, but I like the fighting system and the way that there are A, B, and C stories going at once which I'm expecting to overlap at some point. It's like in FF3/FF6 (the SNES one) where they split the stories in the beginning.

The soundtrack still seems a little bland though. It's not bad, but compared to Crisis Core I had higher expectations.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Lunar3coming wrote:The characters (while very nice looking thanks to Tetsuya Nomura) are a total drag and everything about them is cliche.
Nomura's character designs are anything but nice. Outlandish and at the same time generic, I think they could be best described as annoying. He tones down his costumes for FF at least (I don't recall any FF characters having more zippers than articles of clothing), but his faces are all annoyingly cherubic, unless they're annoyingly gruff. Especially since FFX. It's like playing an RPG full of those irritating little religious figurines that people inexplicably collect. With a couple of cheap action figures mixed in.

How I'd love to see Amano do the character designs again. Or really, anyone but Nomura.