Be warned, some PS3's are paralyzed right now.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Be warned, some PS3's are paralyzed right now.

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Users across the world are not able to play any games on their system, or anything they downloaded from PSN. It doesn't seem to affect everyone, but a vast majority including myself. Trophy synced games will not load, and you'll be forced to quit the game. Even if you never had your PS3 connected to the internet it still locks you out.

There are topics showing up everywhere about this. You'll get ERROR 8001050F, and the date on your system may be incorrect.
Last edited by Silver Phoenix on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

lost_f0n_drive
Lostest Boy

Re: Be warned, PS3's are paralyzed right now.

Post by lost_f0n_drive »

I checked my ps3 when I saw your message, it's having the same problems you described. :shock:

have any solutions been posted?

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=1675

Here's what's going on right now: something with the PS3's internal clock has borked in some pre-slim models. This is not a PSN issue; it has to do with your PS3's clock. This clock is NOT related to the OS clock. It seems to be a leap year bug. Setting your clock ahead will do nothing. All PS3s around the world were affected at the exact same time.

Does this affect me?

-If you have a Slim PS3, you're good to go. Continue playing it as normal.
-If you have a "fat" PS3, you may be affected. Some fat PS3s have worked ok, but it seems a good majority have been bugged.

What does this bug mean?

-If affected, your date and time has been set to a random past date. This prevents you from signing into PSN, playing any PSN games, or using any DLC. Your trophies will also not display correctly or be able to sync.

How do I fix it?

-You can't. Even if you don't sign into PSN, it won't help. This is a hardware issue.

So, what do I do?

-Wait 24 hours. Other products that have had similar bugs have corrected themselves after the "bugged" day. On Monday around 8pm central time, all PS3s will automatically correct themselves...maybe.

-If that doesn't work, we'll need a firmware update from Sony, which should be a pretty important priority for them right now.

Did I lose my data/themes/etc?

Your save data/games/dlc/themes are fine. They'll be fixed when the PS3 is fixed. Trophies are uncertain right now, but they'll be fine if you've synced them before the PS3 was bugged. Unsynced trophies are an unknown right now.
-Nobi

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, same boat here. When I looked up that code online before I saw this, it was saying the error meant the system was toast and I'd have to send it end (which would be the second time, and I'm not under warranty at this point). Good to know it's a universal problem and not something that will require money on my part to fix.
-G1

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It should hopefully be resolved with another firmware update, but this is a major hardware deficiency issue. It completely locks up the system's ability to operate games and movies even if the system has never been connected to the internet.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

What. The. Bad word.

I won't see my PS3 until tomorrow to see if it effects mine (hopefully not, considering mine is a late-era fat PS3), but damn. This is a pretty big friggin' bug to not notice. Sony had better get this resolved crazy fast, or else bad, bad things are going to happen. Id est, people will sell their PS3s and Sony will fall further behind. Wasn't there another device with a similar bug not too long ago? Zunes or Android phones or something.

Although, come to think of it... the mental image of a couple hundred phones and pagers of salarymen all over the world going off in unison is kinda amusing.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

Woah... That's like an epic fail on Sony's part.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Ok, so if the date and time are right, it means its not "paralyzed", right?
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I wonder if this is a case of a clock bug triggering some kind of overagressive DRM. I'd be pretty cool with the whole thing if it made Sony rethink their stance on DRM. In fact, I'd call that a win.

Maybe this embarrassing snafu would make all major companies rethink DRM! And then they'd also realize that region-locking is stupid!

And as long as I'm dreaming, I'd like a pony.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

This is something affecting pre-slim models for the most part, and not all Fat models are affected. I haven't seen any reports regarding slim models.

If you're not getting any errors you should be fine. The easiest way to check is to try and sync trophies with someone on your Friends List.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Be warned, some PS3's are paralyzed right now.

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I'm going to wait and see if a fix pops up before I check if my PS3 is affected. There better be an easy fix to this.

At least PSP's are ok though!!

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

I won't be able to check my PS3 until I'm done with school today, but I'll make sure to check it out. -_-'
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

*sigh* Still nothing fixed as of this morning....
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos

Old_School
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Old_School »

The only problems I had were that I couldn't sign onto PSN and one of my paid PSN games reverted back to being a demo.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Sony has stated that it's preferable that you do not turn on your system or try to correct the clock as this can cause problem with functionality, or restoring certain data. They are hoping for the error to fix itself by March 2nd if the clock resets, but this is a hardware issue and not a software issue.

If the error does not correct itself they're going to have an even bigger problem. Of course there is mass hysteria across the globe and the internet.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Didn't something really similar happen with Zune earlier this year (or last)? Of course, no one cares about Zune, so it was no big deal.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Yes, it seems that the PS3 snafu is very similar if not the same issue that the Zune encountered.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

All should be well. The PS3 has fixed itself. Some weird issue with the PS3 thinking it was 2/29/2010...a date that doesn't exist. Now the GMT reads 3/1/2010 and it seems PS3's are fixing themselves.

Jasonb12
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Jasonb12 »

Looks like my PS3 is unaffected, thank God... It's always something stupid huh? -_-'
"To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step..."

liquidpolicenaut
Red Dragon Priest

Post by liquidpolicenaut »

Yup, yup, my PS3 is all better now. the PS3 seems to have gotten over its' 24 hour flu :)
Visit my Youtube site!!
LiquidPolicenauts YouTube Videos