Nintendo DSi XL

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Dragon Master Lunar81
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Nintendo DSi XL

Post by Dragon Master Lunar81 »

What do you think about this new DS that will be launched? My first impresssions from watching trailers were that this was planned from the beginning and definitely is being aimed towards an older audience or Nintendo freaks with lots of money. I have seen how the DS has gone through the cycles. I think this XL isn't going to do too well. I know people want bigger screens because they say that the screens are too small but if that is the case, you have to give up comfort in portability because it will be bigger.

What do you think?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Re: Nintendo DSi XL

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It seems to be selling well in Japan, but the earlier models are due for a price cut. I have an original model DS as well as a DS Lite. The higher price tag for the DSi XL is nearly the price of a Wii, so I don't know how well it will sell at the beginning. Also, the control layout is compromised as the screen size increases.

It would have been smarter to create a new mold for the casing to allow larger screens and proper control placement. The DS has never been comfortable to hold.

Kaiya-Sky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Kaiya-Sky »

I didn't even know they where coming out with a new one, it feels like the DSi just came out a little while ago.
currently i only use my DS as a flash light when the power goes out at night, so I'm not getting one.
If they where going to come out with another system it should have been something a little more different, how many DS's do they expect us to buy?

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

It's Nintendo, a company full of gimmicks and minor additions. At this point they can afford to make mistakes because they've sold so many Wii's and DS systems, not to mention Pokemon.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

It seems like they're releasing too many different kinds of DS systems, but that's coming from someone who's had her old original silver DS since launch. :P

I want to eventually get a DSi or DS lite. Or a PSP 3000 (or 2000). If I had a choice, probably the 3000 since it can do things my 1000 can't (even though my 1000 has CFW).

I really don't need a new DS, but it would be nice to actually be able to buy accessories for my DS. They don't sell ANYTHING for the older models. I remember when I broke my charger quite some time ago, all they were selling then were DS lite chargers. I got lucky and found an off-brand PSP/DS/GBA charger thing though. I've been extremely careful since. ^^;

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Post by TerraBemani »

They made the DS systems hard to hold so you'll buy all the damn accessories. That's long been a nintendo gimmick. Never give you something you want right away and just keep buying "upgrades". God now I'm reminded of all the n64 trash accessories. At least there was that rare gold n64. Notice how on the ds lite you can get fingerprints all over it so easy? That's so you'll buy a $10 skin to cover that. That thing couldn't cost them more than 25 cents each to make.

Just pretty much anyone ever gives you a half assed product at first to keep you buying buying buying. Aka the "falty" 360's around launch, ps2 disc read errors on the fats around/after launch time, etc etc. Then there's dreamcast systems and games failing rather quickly. If the ps3 with a blu ray drive at launch can work right, why can't a 360 with only a old dvd drive have so many problems? Hell they got more than enough money to cover that. Nintendo has -never- had that problem too for there systems. Or really hardly any for that matter. Sorry got sidetracked there a bit. ^-^;;

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

TerraBemani wrote: Just pretty much anyone ever gives you a half assed product at first to keep you buying buying buying. Aka the "falty" 360's around launch, ps2 disc read errors on the fats around/after launch time, etc etc. Then there's dreamcast systems and games failing rather quickly.
There are theories about the PS2.

Actually, I have a launch Dreamcast and have never had a single problem with it, and Althena knows it's seen heavier use than my other consoles. Probably combined. (Especially considering I've owned more than one Genesis, Playstation, et cetera.)

As for the DSi XL, and for that matter, the DSi, if it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot, I'm not interested. And there hasn't been any DSiware good enough to warrant the purchase.

I'll buy a DSi (XL) the day Skies of Arcadia 2/Lunar 3 is announced for it.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I think it's -Dung Beetle- that Nintendo releases a new Nintendo DS almost every year.

I also think its stupid that Nintendo updated their DS's so that you cannot use R4 Cards.

But in general bigger is better. I'm thinking of trading in my two DS' and a few games to get an XL to play Infinite Space!

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I would never want Skies of Arcadia 2 or Lunar 3 on a DS. The system's capabilities are too limited, and those games deserve to be grand.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Silver Phoenix wrote:I would never want Skies of Arcadia 2 or Lunar 3 on a DS. The system's capabilities are too limited, and those games deserve to be grand.
Precisely. Although since Valkyria Chronicles 2 is PSP-bound, it wouldn't surprise me if either was to appear on the PSP or a hypothetical successor.

Well, I mean, they would both be pleasant surprises, but them being on PSP would not be surprises.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Realistically, it's no different than the way Apple releases new models of the iPod every year. It's essentially the same business model. Didn't like it the first time? Well how about now? Still no? How about now?

There's really nothing wrong about it, 'cause it's essentially the same system but repackaged with additional bonuses.
-Nobi

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

You forgot to mention additional cost.

Dragon Master Lunar81
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Dragon Master Lunar81 »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote:
TerraBemani wrote: Just pretty much anyone ever gives you a half assed product at first to keep you buying buying buying. Aka the "falty" 360's around launch, ps2 disc read errors on the fats around/after launch time, etc etc. Then there's dreamcast systems and games failing rather quickly.

Actually, I have a launch Dreamcast and have never had a single problem with it, and Althena knows it's seen heavier use than my other consoles. Probably combined. (Especially considering I've owned more than one Genesis, Playstation, et cetera.)

As for the DSi XL, and for that matter, the DSi, if it doesn't have a GBA cartridge slot, I'm not interested. And there hasn't been any DSiware good enough to warrant the purchase.

Even then, your DS/DS Lite would suffice for playing those games. They wouldn't go so far as to force you to buy the DSi to play exclusive games other than the DS ware.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I don't see a need to upgrade at all. I love my DS Lite, GBA slot and all. I barely touch the system since 1) Ive always been a Sony fan, and 2) my PSP and PS3 have way more interaction and capabilities... thats really just the bottom line for me.

I agree that the DS is kinda clunky to hold... I have fragile hands and doesnt seem like square is the best shape for that. Although, saying Nintendo just makes this stuff the way it wants to get us to buy more seems a little paranoid... I dont deny that its a possibility or even part of the problem (aside time constraints and what was availible at the time) either.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Dragon Master Lunar81 wrote:
Vyse of Arcadia wrote:

Even then, your DS/DS Lite would suffice for playing those games. They wouldn't go so far as to force you to buy the DSi to play exclusive games other than the DS ware.
Not necessarily. The DSi's CPUs have a faster clock speed (2x), and it has more RAM (4x) than the DS (Lite). There is speculation to the effect that some day, when the DSi is prevalent enough, games will come that take advantage of the extra power. Kinda how some GBC games could also be played on a regular GB, but other GBC games took advantage of extra features and were GBC exclusive...but not until GBCs were prevalent enough.

TerraBemani
Student of Vane

Post by TerraBemani »

Silver Phoenix wrote:You forgot to mention additional cost.
Yeah with taxes the DSi XL would come out to be around $204 here new (7% tax)

How is the battery life on this anyway?

And wow about that dreamcast thing too. Wish my copy of Power Stone 2 still worked. It basically slowly stopped working up to certain points in the game. Honestly how in the HELL is that system working. I'd honestly like to know.