Azure Dreams

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Azure Dreams

Post by MaroonChan »

anyone remember this game?

Found it in a used game store and my mom picked it up for me and my sis. I had a copy (which at one point I gave to my sister, but we lost it). I hadn't cared for it then, but decided I wanted to give it another try. Really, its not that bad. Its just not the type of rpg I usually play. The music and artwork reminds me of Suikoden though.

Apparently now it goes online for a lot. My mom figured she could get it cheaper there, but it was going for round $50 or more or something like that she said. Honestly never thought of it as a rare game or anything. Though I never heard much about it.

Anyway! Rather enjoying it.

Rez
Saith Pirate

Re: Azure Dreams

Post by Rez »

That game is amazing! Kewne FTW. I also like the romance factor in the game, it makes it so much more fun and hilarious.
-Oh, look at the smarty smart pants with his really smart pants!

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I used to own it too, but I got rid of it quite some time ago. It was a fun game when I played it, but I couldn't figure out what to do and I eventually got rid of it. Wish I hadn't got rid of it though.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

We might have another copy floating around, but who knows what condition that's in. I did find the old direction booklet. My sister was sad cause it wouldn't work on her ps2. Though she claims she heard the music, so maybe its the cord she has. My mom bought her one (since the dog chewed it up. It was originally mine, but I had bought a new one so I gave her that one).

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I've always wanted this, but it just keeps getting rarer... Hopefully it goes on PSN.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I've been wanting it for a while, but as stated, it just keeps getting more expensive. I have played the GBC version, and it's odd, but never having played the original, I can't compare. It was fun for a few levels, but I had a feeling they left a lot out.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

It is fun, lol I keep getting my butt kicked though. XD

There was a GBC one? Huh, never knew that. Maybe that's what my mom kept finding. She said she found a DS one but maybe it was that. That's when she thought she'd get it cheaper off ebay, lol.

Arlia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Arlia »

I don't think they made it on DS. 0_o

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Must of been the GBC one. *shrug* I didn't see myself, that's just what my mom informed me.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

If there were a DS one it'd be a day one purchase for me.

I loved Azure Dreams. I have a weakness for roguelikes and Harvest Moon, and this combined awesome elements from both of them. It's just a shame that the series fell by the wayside after the monster catching craze died down.

Lyriel
Lyton Singer

Post by Lyriel »

I *love* Azure Dreams! It was one of the games I *had* to buy when I got a new PS1 a few years back (since I lost my old copy to my ex). It was also, as far as I know, my first Roguelike, and is prolly why I love games like Nethack. :P

The learning curve was rough, and I remember nearly giving up on it, but once I learned the most important things to surviving in that game ( = spoiler = Hoarding Wind Crystals and never going to the tower without at least one once a stash is established, and tempering a Gold Sword and Mirror Shield = end spoiler = ), it was fantastic.

The GB version, I've heard, was horrible in comparison to the PS1 version.
One must only believe that the Light of Hope will always shine brightly.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Lyriel wrote:I *love* Azure Dreams! It was one of the games I *had* to buy when I got a new PS1 a few years back (since I lost my old copy to my ex). It was also, as far as I know, my first Roguelike, and is prolly why I love games like Nethack. :P

The learning curve was rough, and I remember nearly giving up on it, but once I learned the most important things to surviving in that game ( = spoiler = Hoarding Wind Crystals and never going to the tower without at least one once a stash is established, and tempering a Gold Sword and Mirror Shield = end spoiler = ), it was fantastic.

The GB version, I've heard, was horrible in comparison to the PS1 version.
Yeah I found with the spoiler wind crystal end of spoiler it makes it much easier. Otherwise I kept dying and losing all my stuff.

Kefka
Meribian Merchant

Post by Kefka »

Hell yeah Azure Dreams!

Rougelike with monster catching/breeding, funky dating elements AND town building! Plus that wonderful PS1 sprites on fluttering, bright, iconic polygons look! And cooking and...bowling, I think? Every second in that game felt like it was building toward something, be it in the tower or in town. I loved every second of this damn game. Tempering unbreakable weapons and finding exotic eggs nearly gave me a heart attack every time. Just reward after reward after...

too bad I don't have my copy any more