GRANDIA PSOne Classic to be released on PSN tomorrow.

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

GRANDIA PSOne Classic to be released on PSN tomorrow.

Post by Silver Phoenix »

In case anyone was interested. It's a shame they couldn't release the Saturn version in English with a new localization, but that will never happen.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/02/ ... more-24697

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: GRANDIA PSOne Classic to be released on PSN tomorrow.

Post by Werefrog »

Hmm... I kinda wish I had a PS3 for this. I always wanted to play Grandia.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

You can play it on PSP as well.
-Nobi

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Silver Phoenix wrote:In case anyone was interested. It's a shame they couldn't release the Saturn version in English with a new localization, but that will never happen.
Not until Sega gets back into the console business with the Sega Phoenix. But that won't be until after the Robot Wars anyway.

I still have the game, but I'm considering buying this to play on the PSP anyway. And to encourage Sony to release more awesome RPGs.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Nobiyuki77 wrote:You can play it on PSP as well.
Don't have a PSP either.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

:D I loved Grandia!

There was a summer I was in college and the local video store had Grandia and Lunar SSSC for $10 each. It was incredible. I already had a copy of SSSC but someone got it for $10 which seemed like a great deal at the time.

I treasured my copy of Grandia and played it almost every night after work through the end.

I'll be purchasing both again for psp in the next few weeks, but that news totally made my day. Thanks.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

I started Grandia, but it froze and I have yet to really pick it up again because I gotta go somewhere so I can leave the continent (really early on..) and I found that pointless. I don't see how this is any kind of spirtual successor to Lunar... its kinda mediocre right now... please tell me it gets better?

AlexAybara
Reza Thief

Post by AlexAybara »

Your joking. I just bought this off ebay to play it and now they are going to release it for the PSN? x_x I could've probably gotten it cheaper that way.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well owning it on disc is always a preferred format, although with the PSN release you get double dipping with it on the PS3 and PSP. I'm sure the game will look amazing on the PSP, and even the PS3's smoothing ability might make the game look good.

I have a feeling that if it sells well on PSN it may give Game Arts the interest to work on a Grandia remake, or another installment in the series. When this game was originally in development a lot of the team felt as though the game was a labor of love, and that's how it took precedent over continuing the Lunar series at the time.

I remember how amazed I was playing the game on my Saturn, because it seemed so huge and the detail was fantastic. I could only imagine what they could do with a remake, and really give it the polish it deserves.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Silver Phoenix wrote: I remember how amazed I was playing the game on my Saturn, because it seemed so huge and the detail was fantastic. I could only imagine what they could do with a remake, and really give it the polish it deserves.
I have to say that I don't entirely understand this sentiment. To me, this is like saying, "Star Wars was a really good movie, but I wish that he'd remake it, giving it the polish it deserves and completely changing some parts." Even the most minute changes can completely change the feel of a game/movie. That's why I don't particularly have remake fever for the newest Lunar release.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Werefrog wrote:
Silver Phoenix wrote: I remember how amazed I was playing the game on my Saturn, because it seemed so huge and the detail was fantastic. I could only imagine what they could do with a remake, and really give it the polish it deserves.
I have to say that I don't entirely understand this sentiment. To me, this is like saying, "Star Wars was a really good movie, but I wish that he'd remake it, giving it the polish it deserves and completely changing some parts." Even the most minute changes can completely change the feel of a game/movie. That's why I don't particularly have remake fever for the newest Lunar release.
It means that for a game that came out during the 32bit era, it could be enhanced further graphically and made to look and sound even more amazing. The animation could be redone and much larger and cleaner. It was a nice game for it's time, but by no means was it perfect. The Saturn's lack of polygon capabilities and low light sourcing and transparencies didn't give it the ability to look as good as it could have been. I loved the game, and I would love a remake with a new localization just as much.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, but part of the charm are in the original graphics. Remember, form and function are deeply intertwined. If you change the graphics and music, you inevitably change the effect that the game has on you.

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

Werefrog wrote:Yeah, but part of the charm are in the original graphics. Remember, form and function are deeply intertwined. If you change the graphics and music, you inevitably change the effect that the game has on you.
But you're assuming all change is bad. What if they were to not at all change the style of the graphics, but just make technical improvements? Higher resolution textures, polygons, et cetera. What if they were to not change the music substantively, but just improve the quality of the music? What if they only changed the function to fix bugs? (Besides, I would like to see a proof that form and function are intertwined anyway. If you mean only that changing one changes the end user impact, well sure, that's obvious. Or did you mean something else?)

I sure would like to play a high resolution Grandia that doesn't crash in battles. That would only increase charm while decreasing frustration.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Definitely going to pick this up. I never played the first Grandia. March is a busy gaming month though......

Guess I'll hold off for a bit. : :roll:

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Nice! I still need to actually play the game on my PSX, but I might considering getting it for the PSP so I can have it portable. I might actually have a better chance to play it if it's portable anyway.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Seen this on a blog or so yesterday and now I'm hoping it arrives on European PSN.
I own a copy of it, but I'd still buy it on PSN and play it once again on PSP.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Since it's already in English I would hope it's released for the European PSN, but they follow different release schedules than the US. You would think it would be a no-brainer, but you may end up waiting a bit longer.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Vyse of Arcadia wrote:(Besides, I would like to see a proof that form and function are intertwined anyway. If you mean only that changing one changes the end user impact, well sure, that's obvious. Or did you mean something else?)
Yes, that's what I meant. And I really don't think it's that obvious. If it's so obvious, why do so many people complain when books are turned into movies? The act as if it's something new and shock that the movie turns out so differently than the book.

The graphics and the music are part of what games uses to create an emotional reaction in the user. Even minor tweaks can change a game in a major way. I'm not assuming all change is bad. I'm assuming that every change is a big change. Frankly, I'd much rather there be more games like the Grandia re-release and less games like the new Lunar.

There are sometimes where I'm okay with these changes. For instance, I thought the new Monkey Island remake handled this very well. I think that part of my acceptance of this is that it was to mark and anniversary of the Monkey Island (and somewhat of a rebirth) as well the fact that you could turn the enhancements off.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

So how many of you decided to download Grandia off of PSN? I think it's great that the game serves double duty if you have a PS3 and a PSP.

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

I have it sitting on a memory stick waiting to be played. I seem to prefer playing my PS1 Classics on the PSP.

Too bad the Valkyria dlc came out the same day, or I'd probably be playing this.