What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Maus
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Maus »

I'm currently dividing my time between Eternal Blue and Sol-Feace.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I didn't realize that PS1 RPGs weren't on the PS4. Sadface.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm finally getting back to my play-through of Life Is Strange. But around then (when I don't have time to get sucked into a deep game) I'm playing a bit of Super Amazing Wagon Adventure. It's... like a spiritual successor to Oregon Trail but with more realistic outcomes:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/250500/

...also thanks to the latest Steam Sale I ended up getting 4 other games, including To The Moon and Shadowrun Returns... KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

With what little time I can squeeze out, I gave my beloved copy of Baseball (NES) a few tries.

I don't know why, but for some reason it just keeps being the best baseball game that I have ever played. It's as primitive as can be, but it turns that fact into its biggest advantage... it doesn't try to sell fancy camera angles nor over-complicated fielding (like games such as ESPN Baseball Tonight) and that just makes it the perfect time killer -although, I gotta admit that sometimes playing the outfield is a little awkward and the AI is the meanest in the history of anything, kinda like the offspring of Skynet and Josè Canseco, but I digress-.

Anyway, it's not LUNAR but I'm having fun -minus the occasional rage quit... gosh I hate that AI-.

jay_are
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by jay_are »

Maus wrote:With what little time I can squeeze out, I gave my beloved copy of Baseball (NES) a few tries.

I don't know why, but for some reason it just keeps being the best baseball game that I have ever played. It's as primitive as can be, but it turns that fact into its biggest advantage... it doesn't try to sell fancy camera angles nor over-complicated fielding (like games such as ESPN Baseball Tonight) and that just makes it the perfect time killer -although, I gotta admit that sometimes playing the outfield is a little awkward and the AI is the meanest in the history of anything, kinda like the offspring of Skynet and Josè Canseco, but I digress-.

Anyway, it's not LUNAR but I'm having fun -minus the occasional rage quit... gosh I hate that AI-.
That's something most game devs dont understand :D there is beauty in certain things remaining primitive, something that is reduced to its most basic working form. Shame about the difficulty, maybe I'll give it a try one day.

I'm currently playing many things, like replaying MegaMan 1 to 6 on NES, Super Mario 3D Land which still doesn't fail to impress me, some smartphone games I use to kill time in the middle of work (like Silly Sausage) which are quite addicting!
Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS a little bit, which gave me the strangest thing to disappoint me almost completely: blurry fonts.
So I've spent my time complaining about that online and Square Enix won't do a thing about it.

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

That's something most game devs dont understand :D there is beauty in certain things remaining primitive, something that is reduced to its most basic working form.
Indeed! I have also been playing Bases Loaded on the NES and, while vastly superior, it lost a lot of playability and charm. Kinda like... "Nice! Now I can change the line-up, see the stats, watch the pitcher's throwing motion and the number in his back (among a ton of other things); This is really cool! But... uh-oh, the sudden change of camera angle after they have gotten a hit off me made me lose track of the ball and now the batter got to a scoring position with no effort whatsoever". I'm sure I could eventually get used to it, but the problem is that I already know better.
Shame about the difficulty, maybe I'll give it a try one day.
It's not that it's difficult, it's just... mean-spirited. Let me try to illustrate my point by the means of a direct example:

At one point I had taken down the first two batters of the computer, but the third one just barely got to first base. Since the game's flow was so overwhelmingly on my favor, I decided to tease the thing by passing the ball around all the in-field players (thus delaying the next at-bat). I did this twice, and... while the ball was going from first to third... the darn thing went and stole second! I was like "WHAT?! HOW DARE YOU?!"

On another game, I had completely shut down the game's offensive; I hit a HR off my first at-bat and struck out the top of the order with remarkable ease... then, on the very bottom of the ninth inning, the thing got hits off my every pitch and completely stole the win from me. And the thing is that this happens on every game, it will ALWAYS put up a fight and you will sweat to come on top. I have won more than I have lost, but no game ends with you winning for more than three runs... it's super challenging.
Last edited by Maus on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I've gotten into Dragon Quest VIII for the 3DS. Its changes have been for the better - random encounters replaced with overworld enemies, a new camera mode, an instant alchemy pot. I find the fomts to be okay, but respect that may be your peeve.

Still doing a playthrough of Skies of Arcadia. Still a favorite game.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The most recent thing I played was To The Moon, which was incredibly moving. I haven't been that personally touched by a game or a story period in a very long time. It just resonated so personally with me (and Jenner).

We've also been playing a ton of the Jackbox Party Pack (Quiplash 2, Tee KO) with our friends lately.
Maus wrote:It's not that it's difficult, it's just... mean-spirited. Let me try to illustrate my point by the means of a direct example:
I actually always hated the NES-era baseball games 'cause of stuff like that! It was as if the computer's defense was always perfect -- they always started immediately below any fly ball I hit, while I always started half the field away. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Final Fantasy XV for Playstation 4

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

Taking a break From Shining Force III (end of Scenario 3) cause as much as I love it, the grind for the final bosses + premium disc bosses has taken 45 hours so far (I'll finish it, just need a break. For all 3 scenarios, I've clocked in about 300 hours total!) I've started Luminous arc 2 on DS, and am enjoying it. I like the use of witches in the plot as not only evil. I got it on 3/17, and am already on chapter 8 if that says anything. If anyone has played it, does Luna remind anyone of Lunar's Luna (based on character design) And from some vague spoilers and dialogue so far, it seems like Fatima is femme romancable Magus from Chrono Trigger (based on story role.) These are just my initial observations btw.

RandomNPC
Burg Farmer

Post by RandomNPC »

Well, I finished up eternal blue (sega cd) a few weeks ago. Forgot how much I love that game. I've been alternating between lunar SSH (just reached the goddess tower), shining force cd, and mass effect andromeda.
Beyond that I'm looking forward to persona 5 and cosmic star heroine.

Maus
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Maus »

Lunar: Dragon Song... maybe.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I'm playing Persona 5. I'm a little more than a month into the game, which progresses day by day through the life of a high schooler. I've been enjoying it immensely.
Sonic#

RandomNPC
Burg Farmer

Post by RandomNPC »

Started with persona 5 and as much as I love the game, I have to be careful when I play it. Every time I do, hours seem to disappear lol. I encourage anyone with an interest in jrpgs to give it a try if you're okay with a massive 60 plus hour game.

Uncle Ramus
Lann Fisherman

Post by Uncle Ramus »

Persona 3 FES. After letting it collect dust on my shelf for about a decade. Yes I have seen the error of my ways

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

I've been on a binge play of Xenogears for the past week now.
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

I finally got Zelda: BotW and have been playing it non-stop. Absolutely love it. I don't have a Switch yet so I'm kicking it on the WiiU but I don't think there's much difference.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Sailor Moon Drops

Shinto-Cetra
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Shinto-Cetra »

JonOU812 wrote:I've been on a binge play of Xenogears for the past week now.
I'm very torn about that one. I mostly enjoyed it, but there were a few things I hated about it. Regardless, I hope you enjoy.

Since last posting here, I finished Shining Force III (all 3 scenarios + Premium Disk battles) and I must say it was an impressive trilogy. The ending was a little meh (not bad, just ok), but overall I'd recommend it. I put in about 280 hours total into it, that's a record for me.

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

Shinto-Cetra wrote: I'm very torn about that one. I mostly enjoyed it, but there were a few things I hated about it. Regardless, I hope you enjoy.
Oh I have. Currently i'm lvl50 and I think just getting to the end of disc1. Such fun.

Outside of that i've been just randomly scrounging games that i've played but never finished; Jeanne d'Arc, Skyrim and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones (Ephraim's Route) comes to mind.
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH