What Are You Currently Playing?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Zero
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: What Are You Currently Playing?

Post by Zero »

I've also been playing a good bit of Advanced Warfare. My opinion on the multiplayer probably doesn't/shouldn't mean much being that this is my first CoD and I'm generally a Halo player as far as FPS go. But I think it's solid and I'm really enjoying it. I've put probably 10 hours into the MP I guess (not sure) and I've been having a blast. I've developed an always-on-the-move play style and I'm starting to enjoy how people actually die quickly when you shoot them. I feel like the movements and quick kills make it hard to camp, and I like that. I absolutely love the maps, too. Except for Instinct; I can't see crap on Instinct. I think it's pretty balanced as far as weapons. I use the KF5, which is a weapon you have right off the bat and the attachments come quick, and I have done really well with it in TDM and Kill Confirmed. I have it on XBO and have only had one technical issue so far.
I'll take a potato chip... and EAT IT!

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

I'm actually playing Dragon Age: Inquisition RIGHT NOW! First 6 hours are available to XBO owners with EA Access. Progress carries over to the full game Tuesday! This game is so spectacular...

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

I'm playing the DS game for Tales of Hearts. Fantasy Life, and Harvest Moon The Lost Valley currently.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08
SWITCH | SW-1497-7723-9594

** please let me know if you add me **

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

The last few weeks have been quite something for me, entertainment-wise (not just games, but books/tv/podcasts/etc. -- I'll just focus on games here of course).

First, I finished Okami about 10 days ago. That was pretty fantastic from start to finish, and I'm glad I put all that time into it. Everything was good about that game -- the gameplay and the challenge (especially late-game), the music, the artwork, the constant references to Japanese folklore and culture (most of which I caught, but there were quite a few that I didn't catch until referencing a guide), the immersive world, and the story itself. It really held up and never got old, not once...

Second, I played through Transistor last week. That was also pretty amazing. I mean, I love sci-fi and cyberpunk, so it was a given I'd like the game. But again, the gameplay was quite fun, the art and world design were great, and the story and music were very emotional. It was the... second... time perhaps that I really cried at the end of a game (FF9 being the other one that I can recall -- I can cry at good and sad endings both, depending on how well they're done). Also, just the way the story is told is pretty amazing -- bits and pieces you find out along the way to build the details in a non-linear fashion, and that's pretty hard to do coherently.

Third, I tried giving the old game Homeworld a try at Jenner's request. But I really dislike RTSes, and it had all the elements of RTSes that I hate (long wait times, requirements to get very good at fast-clicking-and-dragging and keyboard shortcuts, no time to actually plan, etc.) coupled with my inability to visualize the 3d environment on a 2d screen. So... I gave that up, since I just wasn't enjoying it.

Now I'm just looking for the next game on my backlog to play. My choices are:
Final Fantasy X
Dragon Force 2
Metal Wolf Chaos
Ys I & II Chronicles
Parasite Eve
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia
Sakura Taisen 1 & 2
Ace Attorney 4
Assassin's Creed 1

(Ten games, yes, but that's down from like twenty at the start of this year, so there's progress!) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

^ About Homeworld, if you're not into the RTS gameplay, I'd recommend at least going through the cutscenes. The narration and storyline would make a great game (or film or book) in several genres, and I think even the flashes of story you get from these moments are enough to convey how great it is. Like Alpha Centauri great at least.

Here's a list of all the cutscenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmODpRv ... 61C5FB3230

I'm at my partner's place, so I'm mainly playing Nethack and various board/card games with her.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Right now it is Assasin's Creed Unity, Harvest Moon Animal Parade, Ys Memories of Celceta, and Tales of Hearts R.

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Well, I've already gone through a few more games on my list since last time. Here's where I am...

Ys I is the first one I finished -- technically, Ys I from the Ys I & II Chronicles version for PSP -- the music, graphics, and controls are much easier to handle than the original game. Admittedly, I had to play it on Easy mode; this whole bump-combat system is a little hard to get used to. Anyway, it was short but at least fun (I'd give it a 6/10, same level as Grandia).

Metal Wolf Chaos is the next one I finished. If you've never heard of this game, watch a few videos on YouTube of it -- it's the most gloriously patriotic game you could imagine. Though it's Japanese, all the voice acting is in English and full of over-the-top puns and cheesy references. You play as the President of the United States, the Vice President has initiated a coup d'etat, and it's up to you to take back the country in the name of freedom and justice one state at a time... just you, your assistant, and a mobile mech suit outfitted with more weapons than physically possible to fit on one machine.

Dragon Force 2 is the game I'm playing right now (literally -- I have battles going on while putting together this post). It retains pretty much all the flavor of the original, though to be honest the story seems almost like a repeat of Dragon Force 1 so it doesn't feel like anything new goes on storyline-wise. Nevertheless, the actual gameplay aspects are a bit of an improvement from the original (though the AI is still hopelessly predictable and easy to manipulate).

With that, this leaves:
Final Fantasy X
Parasite Eve
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia
Sakura Taisen 1 & 2
Ace Attorney 4
Assassin's Creed 1

KF
Last edited by Alunissage on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tags
~Kizyr (they|them)

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I had an impulse to replay Super Metroid recently (about halfway through now). Turns out I still can't walljump more than once. :P

JonOU812
Red Dragon Priest

Post by JonOU812 »

Currently playing Bravely Default and Pokemon ORAS, aside from that I waste my time playing Garry's Mod, TF2, Mount & Blade: Warband, and CSGO. What I should be playing though is Mass Effect 1+2, Dragon Age: Origins, and Bioshock Infinite. I would be playing FFXIV: A Realm Reborn but i'm just a poor boy from a poor family, spare me my life from this monstrosity.
Check Out My Youtube Channel: YOUTUBE
Follow Me on Twitter: TWITTER
Watch Me Stream: TWITCH

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've been replaying quite a few Tales of series games, but this time around I decided to do something different. I have been replaying them completely co-op with my nephew. He's never played them before (aside from Tales of Graces f) and he's loving it. It's actually really fun. So far we've gotten through Tales of Symphonia, Tales of Xillia, and we're almost done with Tales of Xillia 2. We plan on playing through Tales of Vesperia next.

Other than that, I've been on and off playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. And I just tried Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn a few days ago...I'm hooked. And I haven't really played very many MMOs. This could be a bad thing, lol.

Zero
Student of Vane

Post by Zero »

I've mostly been playing the Residen Evil REmake lately, and thoroughly enjoying it! I never got around to playing the GameCube release (probably because I was still burnt out on how many times I played the PSX version) so this has been quite a treat for me. I hear the sales for HD release were quite impressive, too, which hopefully will encourage Capcom to give RE2 the same treatment.

I've also been playing a bit of Guilty Gear Xrd and Sunset Overdrive.

For handhelds I'm still working on Tales of Hearts R and A Link Between Worlds.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

So an update here...

Dragon Force 2 -- Finished playing this a couple weeks ago (as the king of Highland). The gameplay is pretty good, but to be honest so much of the story seemed to be pulling directly off of the first Dragon Force, so I'm actually not that incentivized to go through the game with the other 7 leaders. I might return to it someday, but I feel like I got my value out of it.

Portal 2 -- Jenner bought me this for Steam, and I gotta say I loved this game. I was worried they wouldn't be able to surpass the first Portal since the novelty was gone, but the inventiveness they took with the puzzles, the immense amount of additional detail in the environment, the characters, and the storyline (plus the way they revealed the elements of the story) were all worlds above the first Portal. It's great, and well worth it.

Next on my list is probably going to be Majora's Mask for the 3DS, once that comes in the mail. And Alun, I did consider Okamiden, but I'm going to pass on it for the time being until I clear a few other games off my backlog (I may still buy it later this year though). Oh, and I also got Arc the Lad collection at MAGFest, so that's added to the list now. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Nonononoki
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Nonononoki »

Replaying Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete on my PSP just 'cause I can. Currently at Zophar. Man he's a tough nut to crack :/

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

The original Metroid, on 3DS Virtual Console. Don't think I'd make it very far without the restore points. I really wanted to replay Zero Mission, but couldn't find my cart so I started this instead.

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

Lunar EB on Sega CD

TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project on NES

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Fantasy Life and Animal Crossing New Leaf. :3

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Finished original Metroid, then got new Zero Mission cart and started replaying. Stopped before Mother Brain because that battle still terrifies me (though not as much as the escape afterward). Also, I had to wait a few days for my thumbs to stop tingling painfully.

Speaking of tingling, I got Majora's Mask and started playing it last night. Thank goodness I can at least save while still a Deku Scrub now. I probably complained about this before, but when I tried playing the GC port of MM, it froze twice before I ever got to save, which was highly frustrating and a big reason of why I gave up on it. On the other hand, the new version shows the time to the minute as a digital display rather than the analog one of the original, and it's really intimidating to see the minutes tick by like seconds, which I think they are.

brit
White Dragon Knight

Post by brit »

Working on my replay of Lunar Silver Star Story Complete. However, I’m also playing Shadow of Mordor which I’m loving. It’s like Middle-Earth met Assassin’s Creed, Tomb Raider Reboot, and Arkham Batman all in one. >D

3DS | 3652-1775-0152
PSN | Psychobrit08

Leo
BANNED

Post by Leo »

I finally decided to play Grandia. It's not Lunar by any means but I'm loving it so far. I'm still adjusting to the perspective being so close to the characters. My only real complaint is HOLY CRAP that's the most hilariously bad voice acting I've ever heard. Worse than Shenmue's voice acting even. I hope there isn't too much of it.

I'm in the Sult Ruins and loving how the NPCs have plenty to say. There's a bit of a Tales Of Symphonia feel to it but with that Game Arts charm. The graphics appeal to me but I'd definitely be amped to see an HD remake. This time around, DEFINITELY redo the voices.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I've been playing quite a lot of Mass Effect on a stream I run with a few friends of mine. I've also been getting back into Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and getting into quite a bit of Ultra Street Fighter IV (despite not being good in the least).

Beyond that I know we're going to be playing a lot of other games, such as Life is Strange Episode 2 when it comes out and Dead or Alive 5 Last Round when it is released on PC.