New work from Lunar writers!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

New work from Lunar writers!

Post by Aaron »

http://www.aksysgames.com/games/mimana/
Aksys Games, a publisher of interactive entertainment products, proudly announces Mimana Iyar Chronicles, coming Spring 2010! This magical PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) title will be available on UMD® and as a digital download on the PlayStation® Store. With a story written by the same minds behind the Lunar series & Tales of Destiny 2, and gameplay developed by veteran RPG-makers Kogado Studios and Premium Agency, RPG fans in the US will finally get the game they’ve been waiting for—one previously available only in the land of the rising sun.
I'm certainly looking forward to it. I thought you guys might too!

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Re: New work from Lunar writers!

Post by Quark »

Looks pretty sweet! :P

whitedragon_nall
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by whitedragon_nall »

Hmmm...I've heard of this game before. I had no idea it was written by Lunar writers though. Must look into this.

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I guess that makes it another PSP game I'm interested in :P
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Mimana is listed on the Gekkou (the scenario studio Shigema runs) website but it isn't very forthcoming about who precisely was involved. I bet it was a committee. Gungho's official site for Mimana drops the name Jun Kumagai, and that's someone who works for Gekkou, but he (probably he) didn't work on Lunar or ToD2.

Two other games Gekkou worked on that you might have heard of -- Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Sands of Destruction.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I have Order of Ecclesia, and I was actually somewhat interested in Sands of Destruction. However, if these people were in any way involved with the writing in Dragon Song I'm staying far away.

The game looks nice, but I'd want to see and hear more about it.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Silver Phoenix wrote:However, if these people were in any way involved with the writing in Dragon Song I'm staying far away.
I am pleased to be able to say no. They weren't involved with DS or Legend.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Well that is a relief. Wasn't the original Studio Alex to blame for Dragon Song? What the hell were they smoking?

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Silver Phoenix wrote:Well that is a relief. Wasn't the original Studio Alex to blame for Dragon Song? What the hell were they smoking?
No, Studio Alex went bankrupt before that, after a legal battle erupted over Lunar.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

I thought people from the original team worked on the game though? It would be interesting to see how Lunar would change if Studio Alex were still around.

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

So if Studio Alex isn't around, who is making Lunar SSH?

But yeah, I already have this on on my "waiting for Gamestop to put it in their system so I can preorder it" list. Now this news has made that even more awesome ^o^

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Same people who made Silver Star Story, Japan Art Media.
「まあいいけど。」

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Dragon Song's box is misleading in a way because it says "From the original creators of Lunar:Silver Star."

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Didn't Shigema do the original draft of the scenario for it? And the character designs were Kubooka. And I think Shiva said that the person who did the music was one of the ones who worked on TSS, or am I imagining that?

ShindoW
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by ShindoW »

For Lunar:DS, I couldnt pick it up again after the cave event was done. I could've withstood what sounded like generic Lunar plot if the game wasn't so offputting.

Silver Phoenix
Bromide Hunter

Post by Silver Phoenix »

Alunissage, Shiva did mention something about one or more of the former composers working on the soundtrack for Dragon Song in a recent thread.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Alunissage wrote:Didn't Shigema do the original draft of the scenario for it? And the character designs were Kubooka. And I think Shiva said that the person who did the music was one of the ones who worked on TSS, or am I imagining that?
I'm not really sure on that. We never did find that out, as far as I remember. I do still have some of the materials UbiSoft sent me and Kiz though, but some of it is in Japanese, so Kiz would have to check to fully see if it says anything about Shigema. I thought the original story was actually solid. Kiz has said the same thing. When they first started giving us details (and it was in planning for some time before it was announced - they first contacted me in like November 2004 and it wasn't announced til around May 2005). But yeah, the original story was actually quite interesting. There was some stuff nixed by UbiSoft's people. I'll have to go back and dig that stuff up. It'd be kinda interesting to post and discuss looking back 5 years later.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I noted that the writing style was extremely like Shigema, so I would've been surprised if he wasn't involved somewhere. But, he wasn't anywhere in the credits, so it's impossible to say. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Vyse of Arcadia
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Vyse of Arcadia »

I'm going to have to get this one. Looks good. I wonder, though. Tales of Destiny 2 as in Tales of Destiny 2, or Tales of Destiny 2 as in Tales of Eternia? I hope it's the latter; that game had a great setting and characters.

Shiva Indis
White Dragon Knight

Post by Shiva Indis »

Nope, the real Tales of Destiny 2. If you were to play that game and keep Lunar in mind you'd find that there are lots of plot elements in common.

And for some reason Shigema working on a draft of Lunar DS sounds familiar... Does anyone remember that staff blog? On Gamespot, maybe...?
「まあいいけど。」