Risk

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Risk

Post by GhaleonOne »

Does anyone have this for the PS2? Me and my bro have been hooked on playing it lately (we've always loved the board game). I started thinking about it, it's online, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has it and wants to get a LunarNET game going online one of these days? Even if you don't have it, it's only like 15 bucks in the stores and less on Ebay. If anyone's interested, let me know.
-G1

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

I would so totally jump on that since I actually like risk but I only have dial up connection in my house so I can imagine that would cause some hideous lag with my PS2.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm not sure though. I wouldn't think it'd be a heavy connection based game. I just love the game, and think it'd be great to get a giant 6-person game going on.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Hmmm. I love Risk too. No human competition except my brother (who's ridiculously easy; I call him All-Out-Scott. One man per territory = conquerage). I might go and get it sometime.

One thing though is that I've never tried connecting the PS2 to the internet. I'm unfamiliar with their service. What's that entail? Is it free?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Completely free. You just get the network adapter (which I doubt costs too much these days)
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Hmmm, I've searched around a little, and it's around 30 to 40 dollars. Does anyone know where to get it cheaper? Wal-mart, maybe?
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Or E-bay, if you want to haggle with those people (I would rather just get it new myself.) Wal-mart perhapes, since they usually do sell some items at some discount or another. If you don't want to leave home, then I would suggest going to http://www.wal-mart.com :P

As for risk, I suck at it, but on the Sega game, I totally pwned all the easies. And of course, the hardest ones too. I didn't know that there was a Risk out for the PS2 though, the last time I saw a new risk game was way back in the first pentium days O_o

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

ebgames.com has used network adapters for like 18 bucks. New ones are still 40 apparently. I don't see how a new or used would make a different in this case personally though.
-G1

Scorpioeyez
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Scorpioeyez »

I'll have to look into this once I get my finances straight but I've got a lot of big expenses coming soon.
~ Webmaster of OtakuReview ~

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Since I happen to love Risk I suppose I might go ahead and pick it up and join you in a game there. One question, is it just Risk or is it Risk II or some such?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Just Risk. You can play Classic Risk, Capital Risk (where everyone picks a capital and whoever takes all the capitals wins) or Secret Mission Risk (the risk cards). It's pretty fun to play the computer and open things up like new computer controlled characters (General Pontiac, Shaka Zulu, Bolivar, etc.) or different styles of dice and things like that.
-G1

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I haven't gotten a Network Adaptor yet (would probably wait until I get my university connection anyhow, for convenience's sake), but... I've bought the game. I've been playing with my brother. I've won in every mode except mission mode, where I usually have to defeat a color in order to survive (because they're about to trade in their cards and get lots of troops for certain), and it ends up being somebody's mission to defeat them (once, a computer's who was already defeated, arrrgh).

I haven't unlocked anything yet though. :/
Sonic#

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Unlocking is pretty easy. But I believe it has to be done in one-player on Classic Risk mode. There's a FAQ to getting everything on GameFAQs. You gain new generals by beating the 5 default generals last. (General Pontiac for George Washington if you leave him for the last and defeat him to win the game, etc.) I still haven't achieved the 25 wins to get the parchment map. I pulled out Dragon Force and Risk kinda fell to the side except when playing my bro, but if we get an online game going, I'll definately hook up.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sweet! If they have Pontiac, tell me, do they have Crazy Horse as well? Shaka Zulu is a good addition, though I'm already used to playing as him in Civ 3 (the Zulus are the easiest civ to win with). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

No Crazy Horse. Pontiac is the only Native American. Here are the generals:

Catherine the Great (default)
General Napoleon Bonaparte (unlocked by defeating the above)
General Robert Clive (default)
General Lakshmi Bai (unlocked by defeating the above)
King Ferdinand VII (default)
Simon Bolivar (unlocked by defeating the above)
Charles Gordon (default)
Shaka Zulu (unlocked by defeating the above)
George Washington (default)
Pontiac (unlocked by defeating the above)
-G1