Civilization IV PBEM Game

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Sonix
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Civilization IV PBEM Game

Post by Sonix »

Aren't we all going to have to play with the same patch/update as well?
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Sonix wrote:Aren't we all going to have to play with the same patch/update as well?
Probably. But once you start the game, there's a menu option to update to the latest patch. You should probably do that anyway, since most of the patches are so that the game works better across more different platforms. (On my old computer, graphics were really buggy until I patched it.) KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Problem: I can't update my game to the very latest patch. It breaks the game, and then I have to uninstall it, clean the registry, and reinstall. Not sure why the patch doesn't want to work. Hopefully it'll play the next one down.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Well, if a version works, we can always do a test run to make sure it's compatible. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Installed and updated to the latest patch. Waiting now for other civilizations.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Ok, so for everyone who wants to play, download the attachment and open it up. That'll let you know if your game is compatible (and consequently if you can play a PBEM game).

It's straightforward at this point:
- Start up the game. (You'll be Asoka in the test. In the actual PBEM, we'll set up the turn order and who is what civ/leader.)
- Enter a password at the prompt. (You'll use this password every following turn.)
- After your turn is over, the savefile is placed in the Civilization IV Saves\pbem\LunarNET PBEM Test\ folder
- Email the savefile to the next one in the turn. (Obviously don't email anyone in the test.)

So, if this works, you should have no compatibility issues. KF
Attachments
LunarNET_PBEM_Test_BC-4000_to_Asoka.zip
(42.01 KiB) Downloaded 480 times
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

It works! Huzzah!
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I'll try tomorrow.

And if anyone is interested and doesn't have the game yet, Steam has a great deal on it atm.
Civilization IV: The Complete Edition for
US: $19.99
UK: £12.49
EU: 19,99€
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Yes it works!

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Excellent!

Phyco, Sonix, are you able to try it out? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Sorry, I didn't get to install is yet. I was rather busy and kinda forgot about it. I'll do it today after school.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

My friend is pretty dead set on holding it hostage. Unfortunately, while I have to money to just buy the whole collection, I'm really having a hard time justifying purchasing a game I already have. :|

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

I can justify it. Leonard Nemoy's silky smooth voice.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I totally forgot about that. Picking up the expansions now. I loved his voice. *melts*

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I might as well give an update. I picked up the complete game set, didn't realize it came with Colonization, so that was a nice bonus. In any event, I'll be setting it all up and trying out that patch this Friday or Saturday.

I have to admit, one thing I hated about an unmodified game was the whole inflation thing. Before I modded that out on my old system, I began to lose the game because I just couldn't conquer the world fast enough (though I did conquer most of my continent). Any tips or just hope to god you can conquer everything before inflation catches up to you?

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

phyco126 wrote:I might as well give an update. I picked up the complete game set, didn't realize it came with Colonization, so that was a nice bonus. In any event, I'll be setting it all up and trying out that patch this Friday or Saturday.

I have to admit, one thing I hated about an unmodified game was the whole inflation thing. Before I modded that out on my old system, I began to lose the game because I just couldn't conquer the world fast enough (though I did conquer most of my continent). Any tips or just hope to god you can conquer everything before inflation catches up to you?
That is the trouble with conquering any world.

My suggestion? If you can't afford to hold it, raze it. And be sure, before you invade, that you have a decent surplus and infrastructure enough that you can take 20 turns or so of unprofitable action. To play the conquer game right, you can't just build military units and research military technologies.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Or you can be cool like me and culture bomb every last standing city around you. Who needs a standing army when you've got books on your side?

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

Ok, I think you can count me out. I just don't feel like playing I guess. I didn't even bother installing yesterday >.<

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Ardent Fox wrote:Or you can be cool like me and culture bomb every last standing city around you. Who needs a standing army when you've got books on your side?
Your gonna need an army when you get rushed...If you like RTS with economic emphasis then check out the Kohan games or Anno 1701 or Anno 1404. Those are amazing.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Well it's not like I said you didn't need some kind of military force. Barbarians are still -Borgan- early on when you have a civ that doesn't include warriors and they're RIGHT FRIGGIN THERE. I just meant you didn't really need an army that could populate Jupiter snugly with extra spill over on Europa.

(I know they couldn't populate Jupiter, just use your imagination.)