Brutal Legend

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Brutal Legend

Post by Ardent Fox »

Played the demo today and I have to say I'm looking very, very forward to this game. The graphics are clean and very pretty. The music is quite possibly some of the most rocking music I've ever heard for a game and the voice acting in the game is fantastic. Comedic timing and story are all great and things seem spaced out enough to where you wont just be hacking and slashing all day.

All in all, this is going to be one of my acquisitions for the month of October (if not my only besides the Abbey Road album coming out for Beatles Rock Band).

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Re: Brutal Legend

Post by Werefrog »

Isn't the director of this game Tim Schafer of Lucas Arts fame? I'm interested in the game solely for that reason.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Yes, the maker of this game is Jesus Chr-Tim Schafer. The same that created Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Secret of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango and, in fact, Psychonauts.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

Allow me to give you two options. Option one: Don't buy Brutal Legend and forever be shunned by society as a whole. Option two: Buy Brutal Legend and play it until fire begins coming out of your eyes and you feel ready enough to shred on a guitar with the sounds of the metal gods. If I were you, I'd take option two.

The demo in my house came and stayed as people would come over to play it, joyously laughing and oo-ing and ah-ing at the various landscapes and colorful creatures and characters. This was just a taste though, a lick, if you will, of what was to come in the full game. I had to pinch myself when I saw the sheer scope of the world after the part that was shown in the demo. I though to myself, there is no way this game could exist in this world of sequels. This bland gaming environment where everything has a number tacked onto the end of the title, surely this is a mistake.
But it's not a mistake, what it is, is a tribute to metal and all things about it. Even if you don't like metal music, even if you're so into your Ashanti or your...whoever the hell, this game will still be quite appealing to you for it's illustrious landscape, humor and story. Maybe you'll even come away humming a few of the songs, finding yourself liking the music and more educated for the experience.
Now that I'm done preaching though, let me get right down to it. The game is a hack and slash/driving/RTS mash up that flows nicely. The story is you play a roadie named Eddie Riggs. After an accident involving some scaffolding some blood gets into you belt buckle and things go absolutely bananas and you find yourself transported to this world of heavy metal. The world itself is huge and slightly difficult to navigate from time to time, but the map is rather helpful and there are landmarks around that are more than enough to help you should you take that wrong turn. Your vehicle "The Deuce" helps you get around and navigate via it's turn signals.
After a while you start getting into missions and building up an army of mislead youths. As you keep going, you get more and more people added into your forces such as melee, ranged, healers and siege. You can also perform secondary missions, but doing the same race/assault/shoot missions in different areas you start getting worn down over it all. It's a good way to raise fire tributes which you use to upgrade your weapons and vehicle through the Guardian of Metal.

I could continue on about how great this game is, but at some points it's not enough to conceal some very glaring issues. First off, there are points where you grow demon wings and fly around in these RTS bits known as stage battles where you must collect fans like resources and build units to protect those fans. This sounds all well and good but it seems to me that they decided to leave the S out of RTS. For the most part I built a bunch of stuff and threw it at my opponents while wailing away on solos and taking down troubled units, all well and good BUT THEEEEN, there's a point where you face a different army. For the sake of spoilers I'll name them the Emo Troupe. Their units are absolutely ridiculous and before you know it, you're wearing your bum for a hat! Suddenly I find my units getting the absolute shite beat out of them by a bunch of emos!
Secondly, all of the optional missions are much too repetitive. I don't know how many times I went through the same "Ironheade Sneak Attack" it felt like. Honestly, some variety in the missions or even the dialog would've been welcome. I suppose they ran out of room when they crammed the hundreds of metal songs into the game and decided to say cock the whole thing, let's just try to cover the whole thing up and change locals. Wrong move Mr. Developer, I see what u did thar!
When it comes to the RTS battles, many things could have been done better, unit controls could've been better, the secondary missions could've been better but honestly, these are very petty gripes for what is a great game, a shining Valkyrie on wings of steel. The formula. Brutal Legend works with right now is near perfection. It balances a lot of things despite the manageable amounts of crap it exudes from time to time. In the end, it's still a very good game and if you allow it, you'll be sucked into a world of inescapable awesome till someone comes home and sees you making a fool of yourself playing air guitar in spandex.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »