Recommended Nintendo DS Games

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.

Have you bought a DS yet?

Yes, I just couldn't wait!
29%
No, I'm waiting until Lunar comes out.
43%
I already had one before hearing about Lunar DS.
29%

Total votes: 14

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Recommended Nintendo DS Games

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Well, I traded in some stuff and got myself a used DS today in prep for Lunar DS... I don't want it to sit on the shelf and collect dust though, so, any got suggestions for some good games? ^^

Jian
Reza Thief

Post by Jian »

I've got Super Mario 64 DS and Kirby: Canvas Curse. They both are pretty entertaining and fun.

Kirby doesn't last all that long but once you beat the game with Kirby you can play with other characters. You can also go to the levels you've already beaten and get medals to unlock some extras.

Mario is the same as the N64 one except theres more stars to get and more extras. It would keep you occupied because it takes so long to beat.

Both of them are good games. Or you can just buy GBA games like Fire Emblem and Riviera like I did and play them on your DS.

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

I have never bought a DS game.. I've owned one since launch, and I've checked out games at work, and didn't like any of them. Mario 64, IMO, looks awful and it's just a port. Kirby is probably the best one out there so far. Otherwise I'd recommend Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. It's a GBA game, but it's great!!
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, honestly, wait for games like Castlevania and Mario Kart. Apparently this Riviera on the GBA is supposed to be great, because I keep hearing about it everywhere. If you haven't played Mario though, it's definately worth a playthrough.
-G1

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

The best game for DS right now is deffinately Kirby: Cavas Curse. Meteos is probably second best.

Spirit Icana
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Spirit Icana »

The Nintendo DS should begin to realize it's potential by the end of this year. Meteos and Kirby: Canvas Mirror are some real nice treats and proof that this handheld is very capable. The DS is also capable of playing Game Boy Advance games as mentioned already. Games for the GBA system that I recommend:

Riviera: The Promised Land --a real unique (point and click?) RPG.
Golden Sun --a hit or miss RPG for many, but give it a try anyway.
Fire Emblem/Sacred Stones --Arguably the best Strategy RPG series on Game Boy Advance.
Mario vs. Donkey Kong --The closest thing to an original Mario sidescroller in years.
Metroid Fusion --Sci-fi action. It's pretty linear and short, but it's fun.

And that's all I really got. I think the Nintendo DS will sparkle by the time Lunar is out. Do a check up on google and draw your opinions from there.

*Note* This is all assuming you live in North America, PrettyGirlJean. So, unless your a import freak....I have no clue how things will be going about in Europe except the fact that recent reports suggest Ubisoft will not be releasing Lunar: Dragon Song in Europe.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've had my DS Chirstmas. The only game I have is Warioware Touched. I only got it because I had no DS game and nothing else looked good for DS...

Sadly I thought my DS was a waste until I heard about Lunar: DS and Castlevania for it. So I'm glad I'll finally have GOOD games to play on it when the games come out.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

Spirit Icana wrote: The DS is also capable of playing Game Boy Advance games as mentioned already.

:shock: Omg! I was told it wasn't compatible with GBA games and that's why it was worthless to buy one! I'm so glad I posted this topic otherwise I may have never known :( As I mentioned my GBA broke, the top part of the screen worked, the bottom part didn't but I was still able to trade it in, I guess they use it for parts? Along with a couple of other games... but of course I kept my Lunar games, but I was sad to think that I wouldn't be able to finish LL because of the situation.... so awesome, because DS is backlit and I was always straining my eyes to play LL!

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for the suggestions :D I think the fact that I can play all of my Lunar handhelds on this is awesome and definitely makes it worthwhile. I'll also look into the games suggested. I'm more of an RPG fan myself, so I'll likely look into those first.

Thanks again and take care! ^^
<@PGJ

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

It's cool because you can have 1 GBA game and 1 DS game in the system at the same time, so you can choose which game to play wherever you go.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Unfortunately the only DS games I'd recommend at this point are those that aren't out yet since I played them at E3. :D

Lost in Blue is #1 on my want list. I'm always at a loss of how to describe it, but it's unique with light RPG and sim elements to it.

Castlevania will definitely be one to watch (and it has a truly awesome anime opening which is sadly wasted on the small screen :|) and if you like quirky stuff, Phoenix Wright is a text adventure where you play a novice lawyer and Trauma Center has you doing medical operations with your stylus. ^^;
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Trauma Center looks interesting.

artzi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by artzi »

Lunar DS european version waqs canceled. No surprise there tho.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Aside from the already mentioned Lunar and Castlevania, I think the upcoming New Super Mario Brothers looks fun.

Pitch
Nanza Bandit

Post by Pitch »

Star Wars III is phun if you're into the series. It's a little short, but then you can play through it like four times to upgrade Obi's or Anakin's force powers. Maybe better suited for a rental, since you can beat it in a day...

Let's see.... Feel the Magic XY/XX isn't too terrible. The little games you play are phun and addicting.

And then there're the games that aren't released yet. Lunar, Metroid Prime Hunters, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Viewtiful Joe, Aminal Crossing, Mario Kart, Sims II, Sonic Rush, Mario and Luigi II, I dunno, there're a few good ones on their way.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Harvest Moon DS is coming out too if you're a fan of the series.

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

Or you don't want to wait (and want to play a girl farmer) Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town just game out for the GBA. I picked it up to take with me when I go out of town next week.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Man, I just want the Miniature Dachshund Nintendogs. I cannot wait til August 23rd! Nintendogs is sooooooo cool! I can't stop playing the demo at work =D

If you poke it's eye, it shakes its head, if you poke the puppy in its nose, it sneezes! It's SOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~