PSP`

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Audric
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

PSP`

Post by Audric »

Is the PSP Worth Buying? please explain

meru
Reza Thief

Post by meru »

I think it is becuase it is a MP3 player, DVD player, and a PS2 in a portable. You can also hook a camera up to it. I personally think it is worth it.
I wanted healing, attention, and love to gain. But you gave me hatred, abuse and pain.
-Meru

segaboy7
Red Dragon Priest

Post by segaboy7 »

Well you see I have been wondering the same thing, The psp had alot of BANG! when it came out being released with an amazing 24 launch titles, but then kinda just putter out. There really hasn't been any really good releases for the system since then, so its been suffering from the same thing that the DS does. But the DS is actually going to see alot of good games like Lunar, Mario kart, Castlevania. The PSP does have a nice line up of games that will be coming out, for not for awhile. So I would say get one, but don't rush into it, wait for some really good games to come out and prolly by that time the prices will have dropped some

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Also...for a mp3 player it's huge, for a DVD player it's not only tiny but requires you to buy the same movie again on their proprietary UMD format, and likewise with its game properties...it's not backwards compatible (how would it play a CD?) and so you're limited to the PSP-specific lineup. Which isn't much so far. Segaboy7 pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

It's totally worth every penny you spend on the system and memory stick. You don't even have to buy UMD disks, you can just download movies/television shows right onto your memory stick. You can also play any NES, SNES, and Genesis game on it if you wanted to. I personally have a huge selection of NES and SNES titles on my PSP right now. They take up little memory.

People are also currently working on an emulator for the PSP that will allow you to play Gameboy Advance games (there is one already made, it's just too slow right now), and even... *cue dramatic music* Nintendo DS games! :shock: More news on the Nintendo DS emulator coming in August.

Anyways, besides all the video files and games you can play, you can also download entire soundtracks right onto your PSP quick and easy. I listen to my music on my PSP every day on the bus. The PSP fits right into my pocket, and it featurres a built in locking mode so that nothing disturbs your music listening. The PSP packs also come with a special $30 PSP headphone set.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Greensky wrote:You can also play any NES, SNES, and Genesis game on it if you wanted to.

While I do think this is nifty, you should at least mention the downside (as I've heard a number of complaints about this): Sony apparently tends to break these sorts of things with newer firmware. You might get a new PSP game that needs a newer version, and you can either upgrade and break the emulator or not be able to play the game.

Greensky wrote:People are also currently working on an emulator for the PSP that will allow you to play Gameboy Advance games (there is one already made, it's just too slow right now), and even... *cue dramatic music* Nintendo DS games! :shock:

Considering the architectural differences and the fact that the PSP isn't really all that much faster, many DS games emulated on the PSP will probably suck, sorry. :?

Rune Lai
Bromide Hunter

Post by Rune Lai »

There's also the whole touch screen thing... I wouldn't even begin to know how someone would emulate that on a PSP. At least with the computer you can use your mouse and cursor in place of a stylus.

Personally I think the PSP is too expensive as just a game system, and because the UMD format is not compatible with anything else I probably would not use it as a movie viewer either. It will no doubt have some interesting material farther down the line, but that's just it... farther down the line. I'm adopting a wait and see approach, but I'm unlikely to buy it until it gets its first price cut.
You have taught us the pity to live.
But I will not forget the beauty of life itself.
--Hyuui Riin, Phantasy Star II
-- http://www.sabrecat.net/ --

drumlord
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by drumlord »

Without throwing my full two cents on PSP, keep in mind they just announced version 2.0, which has a bonified non-hack web browser in it and a few other nice features. And with that, Sony has probably severely crippled the ability to run homebrew apps like emulators. So I would tentatively say the emulator issue is out if you want to wait for the PSP 2.0. Sure, the emulator scene will likely find SOME way to get around that version to, but if emulators are your reason for getting it just be aware of that issue.
-Rich-

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Yeah... I personally wouldn't even want to download the new update. I would gain an official wallpaper mode and an official web browser, but I can already put wallpaper on my PSP through changing the file names, and I would lose all of my SNES, NES, and Genesis game playability. Not worth it... I wouldn't use the web browser much anyways :roll: