Grandia Online reannounced, special event in Japan May 20th!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Grandia Online reannounced, special event in Japan May 20th!

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173859

1up.com wrote:Gungho announced Grandia Online way back in September 2005, confirming their acquisition of GameArts shortly thereafter. Since then, we've heard barely a peep about the game, and many feared it may have been canceled. Rest easy, Grandia fans: The upcoming GameArts-developed PC MMORPG is very much alive.

The news was broken today via a page on Gungho's website inviting fans to apply for a chance to attend a Grandia Online conference in Akihabara on May 20. 60 lucky applicants will be able to play the game at the event, which will feature series composer Noriyuki Iwadare as well as voice actors Kikuko Inoue and Mariya Ise as special guests.

To commemorate the announcement, the original Grandia port for PSone is now available on the Japanese PSN for 600 yen. That last point makes us wonder... could the previously PC-only Grandia Online be on its way to PS3? We'll find out in a month.
-Nobi

slyph
Saith Pirate

Re: Grandia Online reannounced, special event in Japan May 20th!

Post by slyph »

holy -Dragon Diamond- thats awesome :D

think it would ever be released for US/english market? it took FFXI a full year in japan before it got released to the US. :/

if so and its done well that would be yayness factor of 11.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

I think Grandia has enough of a name to warrant someone picking up the US rights, assuming they don't mind running servers that is.
-Nobi

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm honestly not all that interested. I don't get the MMORPG thing. It takes way too much time, and generally has little storyline. It's nice to see GameArts finally announcing a new project to one of their big franchises, but I'd rather have a proper Grandia game (or proper Lunar game even moreso).
-G1

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Not to mention, if the game ends up a failure, all that time and energy put into it would be for naught.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Maru
Bromide Hunter

Post by Maru »

GhaleonOne wrote:I'm honestly not all that interested. I don't get the MMORPG thing. It takes way too much time, and generally has little storyline. It's nice to see GameArts finally announcing a new project to one of their big franchises, but I'd rather have a proper Grandia game (or proper Lunar game even moreso).
Yeah... I dunno, I honestly think that MMOs are like crack. I can walk away from my Playstation or X-Box RPGs no problem... But put me in front of a computer or gaming system for an MMO and it's game freaking over. Uungh. Hours passes and I'm like, "Why does my abdomen feel like it's going to explode!? Oh right, I have to pee. Fuccccckkk."

So yeah. I don't get the appeal anymore. =/

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Maru wrote:
GhaleonOne wrote:I'm honestly not all that interested. I don't get the MMORPG thing. It takes way too much time, and generally has little storyline. It's nice to see GameArts finally announcing a new project to one of their big franchises, but I'd rather have a proper Grandia game (or proper Lunar game even moreso).
Yeah... I dunno, I honestly think that MMOs are like crack. I can walk away from my Playstation or X-Box RPGs no problem... But put me in front of a computer or gaming system for an MMO and it's game freaking over. Uungh. Hours passes and I'm like, "Why does my abdomen feel like it's going to explode!? Oh right, I have to pee. Fuccccckkk."

So yeah. I don't get the appeal anymore. =/
My problem's similar to G1's "way too much time." I like playing them, but I can't play them too long because the gameplay gets repetitive. "Yay, I've killed another 100 monsters, earned a rank, and gotten one good item drop... in an hour. Plus, I prefer exploring to doing anything else, but I need levels to explore certain places. >_>
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Honestly, it's not even just that. Yeah, it's a time-killer, but I also find them boring. I just don't see the point in spending countless hours building up rank and levels with no real rewards (in the form of a good story and the like). I'd rather play a strategy type game online than a MMORPG. Put me in a game of Risk online, and I'll be addicted quick. Put Phantasy Star Online or FFXI in front of me and it'll bore me to tears within an hour.
-G1

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Post by DragonmasterDan »

GhaleonOne wrote:Honestly, it's not even just that. Yeah, it's a time-killer, but I also find them boring. I just don't see the point in spending countless hours building up rank and levels with no real rewards (in the form of a good story and the like). I'd rather play a strategy type game online than a MMORPG. Put me in a game of Risk online, and I'll be addicted quick. Put Phantasy Star Online or FFXI in front of me and it'll bore me to tears within an hour.
That reminds me, rather than an MMO, I want online Dragon Force.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I had that same thought in my head. I know we've discussed that before too.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Wow, it's only taken Nobi a decade to learn to get his finger off the shift key after the first letter of "Grandia". :mrgreen:

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Alunissage wrote:Wow, it's only taken Nobi a decade to learn to get his finger off the shift key after the first letter of "Grandia". :mrgreen:
I believe you've mentioned this once before. :-P
-Nobi

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Well, actually, isn't it technically GRANDIA instead of Grandia? Same with LUNAR instead of Lunar? I know Vic used to say them with all caps, and that's how the titles usually show them.
-G1

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Which is why I used to do it as well.
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I wouldn't read too much into the all-caps in the logo, certainly -- otherwise the subtitles in the Lunar games would be all-caps too. I'd expect Vic to keep LUNAR in all caps as emphasis on a game title he published, but I do think it's silly to do so in normal, non-press-release writing. If it were an acronym, that would be different.

Anyway, I'm just teasing. It's what I remember from my early days at the WDMB and Nobi's dialogues, his frequent mention of GRANDIA. As if it were being shouted triumphantly. :D

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

... I wasn't shouting triumphantly? XD

The things I did as a kid...
-Nobi

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Eh, you probably were. I remember one post where you made a big point of it being Your Favoritest Game Ever. ^^

Time does pass, doesn't it. I was 25 and a half when I joined that board. I just turned 35 today. I'm not sure what I was expecting my life to be like ten years down the road back then, but it probably wasn't this. I wonder if my posting personality has changed as much as yours has. Probably not, since I was already more or less grown up then, but it was also my first online forum so I was kind of diffident.

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

Same here about WDMB being my first forum (and for a long time, the only). I was 16 when I joined (I think that was the first iteration in 97?). Man, I wanna go back in time and slap my old self silly for being such a stupid little nit wit.
-Nobi

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

http://www.grandiaonline.jp/

Site's up. Goddamn it they just HAD to set it in the world of the first game! >> Now I have to buy it.
-Nobi

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Well, that world is pretty perfect for it. There are adventurers galore, and the entire game seems oriented toward the sort of questing that goes on in MMORPGs. To a lesser degree, Grandia 2 would've been appropriate too with the mercenary Geohounds.

That has me considerably more excited.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time