Did anyone know that a WD RPG actually got a remake?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Lucca
Student of Vane
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Did anyone know that a WD RPG actually got a remake?

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:My Japanese isn't the best, but there's definitely some backstory in the Japanese version that's not in the WD version.
Weird that WD would omit that. Vay's story has never been super fleshed out and cutting that extra backstory seems rather bizarre to me. It added a lot to the game, especially to the whole armor backstory.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

If DevNall is saying that there's some backstory in the Japanese version of the remake then it may not have been in the original at all. We'd need to check the MegaCD game. Sure wouldn't be the first time that a port/remake got some fleshing out.

Does anyone have the Japanese MegaCD game?

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Alunissage wrote:If DevNall is saying that there's some backstory in the Japanese version of the remake then it may not have been in the original at all. We'd need to check the MegaCD game. Sure wouldn't be the first time that a port/remake got some fleshing out.

Does anyone have the Japanese MegaCD game?
Actually, I do! I was translating Vay with a friend of mine a couple of years ago, but we got only so far as Penan.

So most of my saves are pretty far back. I GUESS I could play to a certain point and see. I also...uh, have to find it. Which may be a bit more challenging since I think it's packed away somewhere.

EDIT: And at 1:20 in the morning on this fine Tuesday, I FINALLY beat Vay. Wow, shortest credits EVER. I tried to get a snapshot of the voice credits but it went too fast.

They STILL don't mention people who died in the ending. Well, with exception to Sandor's dad being proud. I mean, seriously! C'mon! What about (spoilers ahoy!) your fiancee who died like an hour ago? Or that elf kid...what was his name again?

1990's RPGs make me giggle.

Expect album updates now.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Vay's dialogue is pretty simple. Though, I think you already know you can run any dialogue you'd like by me.

There were a handful of things I took screenshots of that seemed of interest, story-wise. I could browse back through those when I get home. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

The promised update is here. Adds item descriptions to pretty much every applicable menu, along with little faces when you're shopping.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:The promised update is here. Adds item descriptions to pretty much every applicable menu, along with little faces when you're shopping.
Hooray! And the fact they fixed the whole, "TALKING TO TOWNSPEOPLE IS HARRRRRD!" issue I had with the game grants bonus points. I wonder if the original sprites will work for me now.

Had a chance to check the 'bonus' features yet?

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Lucca wrote:I wonder if the original sprites will work for me now.
It also turns on/off the artwork in the status screen, too.
Lucca wrote:Had a chance to check the 'bonus' features yet?
Yeah, it's a little gallery with some unfinished sprites and cutscenes from the Sega CD version. The cutscenes don't fit any of the plot elements, and there's no descriptions. Speculate away!

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:
Lucca wrote:I wonder if the original sprites will work for me now.
It also turns on/off the artwork in the status screen, too.
Lucca wrote:Had a chance to check the 'bonus' features yet?
Yeah, it's a little gallery with some unfinished sprites and cutscenes from the Sega CD version. The cutscenes don't fit any of the plot elements, and there's no descriptions. Speculate away!
In game sprites work for me both ways. Nifty!

OH WOW! I've heard that there were lost cutscenes in Vay! There was even a code given out by Victor Ireland that if you beat the game you could go into the vault and stand in a certain spot and hit a certain button mash and you could see them! Only...it didn't work for anybody and everyone assumed he was full of it! Including me!

But oh wow! Wow! This is so cool!

Based on the three I saw, I know there were two scenes cut: One had to do with the Sentinel Tree and another with Mt. Bole. I am completely baffled by the Fort De Bay/Gilan cutscene though. For a moment I thought "Wow, maybe Pottle dies early and gets squashed by a rock. But uh..then Sandor would be too so what they heck?

I wish they kept the Mt. Bole scene. That's hilarious.

Someone be my hero and tell me how to rip this out and post it on youtube!

EDIT: And here's one screenshot of the lost Mt. Bole cutscene. Sorry for the white space inbetween...the actual camera scrolls down and there was no way to really line them up correctly. Just...think of Vay on a Nintendo DS or something! Their expressions and poses are priceless. I had a real Popful Mail vibe with this.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Pottle definitely looks like he's enjoying this...

What's the Mt. Bole cutscene, anyway? KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Kizyr wrote:Pottle definitely looks like he's enjoying this...

What's the Mt. Bole cutscene, anyway? KF
I kind of think of Pottle's frog face as, "My brain has derailed! Please insert quarter!" especially after what happens to him.

Basically, the Mt. Bole scene goes like this:

The entire party is on the top of the mountain. There's a hole in the center, and the Pedestal/Vitzier is hovering in that pit (It looks like some sort of crown or ring). Their hands move, indicating they're having a conversation.

Pottle has a serious expression (Most serious or saddest expression I've seen him with in the whole game, honestly), then suddenly (and rather comically) has an extreme "WTF!" expression on his face and backs up a bit in surprise.

Rachel then talks, and looks pretty serious.

The shot then goes back to the party, the open pit, and the vitzer floating. The rock underneath Pottle gives way and he falls in, yelling (It's a quick shot of this, and you can start to see the party move to help him. Sandor especially). Sandor manages to catch him with one hand though, and struggles to keep him up. Alas, either he's too heavy or the rock has given way under Sandor too, because he too falls in!

The screen goes dark for a second, we see a shot of falling rocks for about 3-5 seconds. Are the boys okay? :o

You then see a shot of PJ holding on to the Vitzer, and the screen pans down to Sandor, Pottle, and Rachel holding on for dear life (AKA, the shot I just posted above).

The final shot is of the mountain itself, currently collapsing and smoke coming from the top. You see a speck float away from the mountain, presumably the party itself.

And that's it in a nutshell!

I managed to put the first two cutscenes (and the super secret PJ schoolgirl artwork -- no I'm not lying on this one) up in the album. I should have pictures of the Mt. Bole cutscene up early this afternoon.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Just want to throw out there, if what I've heard is true, the "schoolgirl" image is actually supposed to be Elin.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Elin? Really? I guess it could be her...I think it looks a little more like PJ personally, mostly because Elin's hair is lighter than PJs.

Oh well! I'll update that in my album.

EDIT: Album updated to include all the cutscenes and descriptions of what happens in them. Link is here:

http://rpgcafe.net/album/categories.php?cat_id=6

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Double Post again (I don't usually double post on this topic unless I have something worthy to impart or something.)

Last night I rigged up my camera to take video of the lost cutscenes. The video quality is crappy (I might redo the Mt. Bole and Fort Gilan scenes), but you can definitely see what's going on. I'd embed it but you REALLY, REALLY should watch the videos in high quality.

Have fun speculating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOtFnlWnCew - Lost Cutscene 1 - Great Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBzVnM370VM - Lost Cutscene 2 - Fort Gilan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1meeFxwVs6U - Lost Cutscene 3 - Mt Bole Escape

Watch #3 first, it's by far my favorite.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Hey folks. I haven't quite forgotten the album, I've just been busy with real life shenanigans.

For those of you interested in the actual voice acting for the iphone remake, voila. A cutscene for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcllEFkPUk

I'd be curious if SoMoGa is going to do any more updating, or if 1.1 is all we're going to get (for example, why is it when I equip silver knives I don't get the bonus? And did they completely ax out the freeze status?)

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

So I've been to the apple store about my iPhone twice and I've now got a new one!! They have no idea what was wrong with it but eh... Its gone now. So I finally downloaded this game and its Awesome! I've never played it before so its spiffy neat! The update fixed alot of problems people had with the game. Well worth the $5! Love it. Very simple and clean. Now they need to bring Lunar to iPhone!
Depend On You Changed My Life.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Sadrin wrote:So I've been to the apple store about my iPhone twice and I've now got a new one!! They have no idea what was wrong with it but eh... Its gone now. So I finally downloaded this game and its Awesome! I've never played it before so its spiffy neat! The update fixed alot of problems people had with the game. Well worth the $5! Love it. Very simple and clean. Now they need to bring Lunar to iPhone!

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it so far (I need to finish my album. :()

How far are you?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's funny, but out of all the WD games I played back in the day, I never got past the first 4 hours or so of Vay. So with my new iPod that came with the new Mac laptop, I downloaded it. Haven't gotten a long ways, but past where I was before. Fun game, and gives me something to play on all the trips to my bro's away soccer games over the next few months.
-G1

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

So I finally beat this... I must say that at first I was like wow this game is great... I'm sorry but being level 86 by the end is kinda sad... The game was just really really easy!! The last 3 dungeons were the only neat places to go. I just don't understand why it was so easy. I even played on hard? I didn't see much of a difference. I wish the characters had skills they could use or something. The armor was neat but why didn't the main character's sprite change? They could have updated a little more of the game. I hope they make an update with Real extras! I tell people they should download it all the time. So worth the $5! :mrgreen:
Depend On You Changed My Life.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

This has been mentioned on a couple other forums, so I thought I'd mention it here too:

Vay is a nominee for best iPod/iPhone port, so... vote!