Did anyone know that a WD RPG actually got a remake?

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Re: Did anyone know that a WD RPG actually got a remake?

Post by DevNall »

Lucca wrote:Double post again, sorry, but I know some people are actually viewing the album based on hits I'm getting so I KNOW at least one person is viewing it.
I, and at least one other person I know, have been checking it out. For those of us who've played the new version, your commentary is pretty funny in a few spots.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:
Lucca wrote:Double post again, sorry, but I know some people are actually viewing the album based on hits I'm getting so I KNOW at least one person is viewing it.
I, and at least one other person I know, have been checking it out. For those of us who've played the new version, your commentary is pretty funny in a few spots.
The 'new' version? So do you actually have the itouch/iphone version of Vay too? If you do, what do you think of it?

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

To sum it up briefly: I find the new translation to be pretty funny -- you've already noted a number of the new jokes, I think -- and it's much better than most of the touch games you can get right now. Though I admit I'm a little sad that 1) the names were changed, 2) the sirufu fart jokes were removed (although I think some of people are happy about that) and 3) Lynx's "from my mother" line is gone.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:To sum it up briefly: I find the new translation to be pretty funny -- you've already noted a number of the new jokes, I think -- and it's much better than most of the touch games you can get right now. Though I admit I'm a little sad that 1) the names were changed, 2) the sirufu fart jokes were removed (although I think some of people are happy about that) and 3) Lynx's "from my mother" line is gone.
The Lynx's 'from my mother' line is gone!? Noo! I haven't gotten that far yet! I've been sort of pre-occupied with FFIV, though I took a few more pics today, just haven't uploaded them yet.

I don't consider the names as big an issue, since you can change all character names anyway.

My biggest gripe besides armor and weapon stats not showing up is the cutscene dubbing. I understand it's a tiny company and they probably couldn't afford good voice talent, but oh MAN. Who'd they'd get for Sandor? He utterly kills every scene he's in, the Water Temple sniping scene especially.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Lucca wrote:My biggest gripe besides armor and weapon stats not showing up is the cutscene dubbing. I understand it's a tiny company and they probably couldn't afford good voice talent, but oh MAN. Who'd they'd get for Sandor? He utterly kills every scene he's in, the Water Temple sniping scene especially.
The armor thing is supposedly being rectified in a free update along with some 'bonus content.'

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:The armor thing is supposedly being rectified in a free update along with some 'bonus content.'
Bonus content? Ooh, awesome. That I'll look forward to.

I'm putting up some pictures here and there today, and then I'm going on vacation till Tuesday night. The bad news is no pictures until then. The good news is I very well may have beaten the game by that point.

Check the pictures by 12 am PST tonight. What you get is what you get. It's a busy day today, unfortunately. :(

I'll post again when I'm back and I've updated.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Lucca wrote:
DevNall wrote:I'm putting up some pictures here and there today, and then I'm going on vacation till Tuesday night.
Oh cool! Hope you're going somewhere fun (Vaygess?). Have fun.

In the for-what-it's-worth category, I rather like the new voice for Pottle and Zeal.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:
Lucca wrote:
DevNall wrote:I'm putting up some pictures here and there today, and then I'm going on vacation till Tuesday night.
Oh cool! Hope you're going somewhere fun (Vaygess?). Have fun.

In the for-what-it's-worth category, I rather like the new voice for Pottle and Zeal.

I'm heading to Santa Monica :)

I LOVE Zeal's voice. Pottle's is okayish! It's just during that one...ahem, scene of his, he gets a little TOO into his death-throes.

He's one of the better voices, though.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I think it took something like seven years for me to notice the Vaygess joke and longer to connect it with the Gold Vortex that WD put in. Is that still the town's name in this version?

Sylph/Sirufa makes sense, since a sylph is a nymph; maybe WD left it as it presumably appears in the Japanese game to simply give her a name rather than merely a description. Then again, we saw with Fulari in TSS that they didn't always pick up on what was and wasn't a name. Is there a "Sylph's Kiss" item in this version?

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Alunissage wrote:I think it took something like seven years for me to notice the Vaygess joke and longer to connect it with the Gold Vortex that WD put in. Is that still the town's name in this version?

Sylph/Sirufa makes sense, since a sylph is a nymph; maybe WD left it as it presumably appears in the Japanese game to simply give her a name rather than merely a description. Then again, we saw with Fulari in TSS that they didn't always pick up on what was and wasn't a name. Is there a "Sylph's Kiss" item in this version?

The town's name in this version is called 'Oasis in the Stars'. And the gold vortex? There is none, instead you just find a chest with 1 GP in it.

I BELIEVE the Sylph's kiss item is called Heaven's kiss, but I might be confusing that with what was the Phoenix Heart in the WD version. Don't quote me on it.

Aaaandd...I made one final picture update, and I'm all caught up again. That's it until Wednesday! See you then :)

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

There is indeed an item called Sylph's Kiss.

And I didn't get the name at first, either.

EDIT: Santa Monica! Were you there for today's quake?

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote: EDIT: Santa Monica! Were you there for today's quake?
No, I missed it by two hours! I'm somewhat dissapointed! I mean, it probably would have made LEAVING a pain but since it was a fairly moderate quake it might have been quite the experience!

Anyway, I'm back. Have tons of shots, so check the album later today. I should have something up. I haven't beaten it yet though, mostly because FFIV has devoured my soul temporarily. I'm up to the Shrine of Toth/Temple of Redin though, so I'm getting fairly close. However, I hate the shrine of Toth dungeon so much because BIG FAT MAZE OF CONFUSION. I must press on.

I will say one thing thought -- SoMoGa (the company) is awesome at technical support. During my trip my game had a horrible bug crash where the game was frozen and the autosave kept going back to the frozen spot. I thought I was going to have to start from the beginning, and I knew if I could just get back to the load a save screen I'd be okay. I emailed SoMoGa and within a couple of hours they emailed me back and got me around the bug, and my merry adventuring continued.

So is Vay buggy? Oh gosh yes. However, the company itself is really great at helping you, so massive props.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

If you found bugs, I hope you at least reported them.

I bought and played it for a while without any problems, nor have I seen a lot of problems reported in the usual places (aside from people wanting item data) but YEMV. Of course, the new iPhone/iPod Touch OS might have -- shall we say -- more than the usual number of bugs, and developers may not be able to do more than ask Apple to fix something.

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

Lucca wrote:
Alunissage wrote:Another incentive might be to play a game where the Wind Elemental has something approaching normal stats. :P Also no Gold Vortex.

So, in the Japanese game, do you still have to wear Filtration Helmets or whatever they were called to get transported by Sirufa to the next area? Are they just called something else with a different reason given for why you'd need them?

Hm. My husband had been successfully, if barely, resisting the impulse to get an iPhone, in part because he still has $ on his current comparatively low-tech (e.g. no camera) prepaid phone, but this might make a difference, even if I'd be the one playing it. Good grief. Of all the games to get remade.
Heh, I finally bit the bullet and got an itouch. (Yay, surplus check!)

I haven't dled Vay yet though. Setting the itouch itself up. That comes next! Along with possibly super monkey ball? So shiny looking! :O~

From what I understand, yeah, I'm guessing it's going off the Japanese build, which means the wind elemental won't be scarily hard anymore (In fact, I wonder if EVERYTHING will finally be balanced now. OMG, healing spells at a decent spell cost! :O)

I'm actually not sure on the helmets! I really think it was a WD added thing. When I get to that part in the game, I'll let you know. It's fairly early on.

And Kiz, Lunarnet is still hopping and active. In fact, it's grown a bit since you were there last (Not to huge amounts - we're just doing well), so you should come back and visit sometime. :) The IRCRPG focus has shifted more to tabletop games like 4e, Spirit of the Century and Exalted, but I'm currently in an IRCRPG game based on Lunar (though it probably has only like 3-6 sessions left to go). There IS an AlundraRPG currently set to restart though that looks very promising (based on Spirit of the Century mechanics).

EDIT: Just played about 10 minutes of Vay. Oh my god, the battle encounters are seriously toned down if you play on normal mode! I went 45 seconds on teh world map without getting into a battle! Something is wrong with the cosmos if I can't play Vay and bring out my apparent inner machochist! Where's my battles every 4 steps!? ;_; (Exp apparently is boosted to compensate this)
ahhh Super Monkey Ball. It's been so long since I've heard that name (at least I think it's THAT name I'm thinking of). good times. good times
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Deathblood wrote: ahhh Super Monkey Ball. It's been so long since I've heard that name (at least I think it's THAT name I'm thinking of). good times. good times
Fair warning: a lot of people are finding the iPod/iPhone version of Super Monkey Ball to be really difficult to control.

EDIT: It also crashed on me a number of times, but that could be an OS problem.

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

DevNall wrote:If you found bugs, I hope you at least reported them.
Oh yeah. Most of the bugs I've come across have been mentioned numerous times on chatboards. One annoying bug I keep coming across is a bug that skips cutscenes. It happens especially at the Magmal Island and meeting PJ scenes, and seems more likely to happen if you load a save beforehand. I usually have to reboot the itouch if I want the bug to go away. I reported this to SoMoGa.

VERY annoying. I haven't really been able to get Magmal or PJ's scene to load properly since. Oh well, hope the patch will fix that!

EDIT: Added Lance's status screen and the first Maytayk encounter. I've taken a small break in pictures/playing Vay today for FFIV, but I think I'll head back into it tomorrow. We're getting work done on our house and that usually means I'm stuck upstairs. Plenty of time to edit/upload the backlog of pictures. (300 of them!)
Last edited by Lucca on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deathblood
Student of Vane
Location: In survitude to The Reapers and about to kill Commander Shepard

Post by Deathblood »

DevNall wrote:
Deathblood wrote: ahhh Super Monkey Ball. It's been so long since I've heard that name (at least I think it's THAT name I'm thinking of). good times. good times
Fair warning: a lot of people are finding the iPod/iPhone version of Super Monkey Ball to be really difficult to control.

well that sucks
Ways of death comes in many shapes. But there are only a few shapes of death itself.[/i]

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Deathblood wrote:
DevNall wrote:

well that sucks

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that about Monkey Ball. I considered picking that up once I have 10 bucks to spare. Maybe Tetris instead. Mm, Tetris...

I decided not to update the album too much until I'm DONE with the game, and since I'm in Bonnarren now, that's fairly close. I might pop a couple up here and there, but once I'm done with the game expect TONS of updates. I'm suspecting I can beat it in 2-3 days at most (and only because Castle Danek takes FOREVER to slog through).

It does help in normal mode that you don't have to buy every piece of equipment you see. Saves a lot of time!

Lucca
Student of Vane

Post by Lucca »

Double post. Woot. I have a question. This is more or less to those people who have played both the SegaCD and Iphone versions (in other words, hi DevNall!).

Is it just me or did the SegaCD version omit a LOT of backstory? There's a lot of backstory with the armor that's not present in the WD version. Like..apparently the armor split both Altalia/Ossyk and Bonarren in half (I don't THINK that detail is in the SegaCD version) and then Sadoul spills a pretty big plot twist that contradicts that later on, the fact that there were ancients who were more advanced than let on (WD's version hints at this, but SoMoGa's make this a bit clearer), and the fact that lost magic is actually explained in detail with names (Transmigration is AWESOME!). None of this was in the WD version, so I'm wondering now if this was really in the original game or if SoMoGa added all of this to flesh out the story. You apparently can play this in the original Japanese text so I'm half tempted to switch to that and take some pictures and get someone to translate it!

The whole translation process is so fascinating to me!

Anyway, at Draktyr, should win it by tonight.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

My Japanese isn't the best, but there's definitely some backstory in the Japanese version that's not in the WD version.