PSP - Lunarified!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
Will Flausmier
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80
Location: Playing a flute for a while as a certain emerald vixen dances in front of me

Post by Will Flausmier »

Yeah, wait....you mean there's a way to actually play snes games on a psp? TELL ME NOW! Pwease? I want to play DragonQuest6, Chrono trigger, FF# (the one Cecil is in, it's FF3 or 4 I think...) , and Tales of Phantasia.

To get back on track of topickyness.... to have the ability to play our favorite old games on a handheld would be sweet. Able to kick Deathmore's butt , and have Terry on handheld would be sweet...(Deathmore is a Dragon quest boss monster ,if you didn't know. Terry was the hero of Dragon Warrior monsters 1, and one of the heroe's in Dragon quest 6.)

If someone could tell me the stuff needed and how to get them onto a gba, to play snes games on a gba. I'd be most appreciative(they are the games I mentioned above.)
This is my emerald haired vixen, mine I tell you.... Oh , don't tell her bout this pic k? She might either hurt..or ..slim chance though... love me for it.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Unfortunately, we aren't allowed to talk about ROMS and Emulators etc. any more. GhaleonOne almost rendered me asunder for bringing it up :P But yeah, it is possible.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

In this sense I'm not so sure. If you own the game on the SNES, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to using it on the PSP. I'm sure Sony's official stance is that they aren't okay with it, but I'm not sure emulating games on a portable like that is such a big deal, so long as you own the original.
-G1

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

Hmm... and yet you seem to have such a strong disagreement with downloading movies. But I have my own personal rules in download movies that I abide by.

Sorry for bringing this up again, this is just my attempt to understand your negative outlook on what I've been spreading around lately.

I never download any movie that I would regularily go to theaters to see. For example, Duece Bigalo: European Gigalo is one movie I want to see in theaters. I also just saw Dukes of Hazzard in theaters, opening night.

But for movies I wouldn't see in theaters, I download. Therefor, not only does this not hurt ticket sales, but if I end up liking the movie enough, I'll buy the DVD when it comes out. I own a big DVD collection.

This is my personal reasoning behind downloading movies. Just thought I'd explain myself while the issue was on it's last leg. :P

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Now, if there was a way to "pirate" those games, but send the money that you would have paid to pick these game's up legally, then wouldn't that solve everything? If you could do that, what the heck? Nintendo has the right idea, let people legally download the game.

Just like the music industry cracking down on music, so now you have music companies that you can buy music online. Why not have legal and offical "emulators" to simulate the NES and SNES systems, for a small fee to nintendo of course.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

phyco126 wrote:Now, if there was a way to "pirate" those games, but send the money that you would have paid to pick these game's up legally, then wouldn't that solve everything? If you could do that, what the heck? Nintendo has the right idea, let people legally download the game.

Just like the music industry cracking down on music, so now you have music companies that you can buy music online. Why not have legal and offical "emulators" to simulate the NES and SNES systems, for a small fee to nintendo of course.

I'm totally in agreement with that idea. Set up something similar to iTunes, but for games. I'd say charge $1 for NES game, and $5 for a SNES game.

Also, since Sega isn't producing consoles anymore, I think they could make a profit from releasing an official Genesis/Sega CD/32x emulator for the PSP.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

GhaleonOne wrote:In this sense I'm not so sure. If you own the game on the SNES, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to using it on the PSP.

Well, technically, you can only make a backup of a game you own yourself. In other words, downloading a ROM of a game you own doesn't qualify...you have to rip it yourself. I would guess that most people here don't own the hardware to do that.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Everyone has their own little justifications here and there. Me, I don't care. I never cared about having to explain myself or hearing other people's explanations.

Discussing emulation hardware is a quite different thing, however. Just talking about emulators for the SNES, Sega CD, etc. is fine. Trying to find specific games (like ROMs and ISOs) is different.

For instance, there's generally no problem with helping out folks in getting together a working Sega CD emulator, since the hardware simply isn't in production anymore (and never will be). Plus, the original CDs can be used for an SCD emulator. I don't see a problem in trying to emulate the SNES, but I'd avoid discussing where to download ROMs for the SNES here. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

See? This is why we don't have Magic School!

Post by localflick »

A lot of people talk about video game piracy like there's no consequences, but there are. Companies lose profits from people downloading games (I'm talking about current PC and GBA games specificly) and as a result they can't afford to take risks and would rather go with safe projects that are more likely to sell. A good percentage of GBA games are either re-releases, or remakes of older titles which just shows how bad it's getting.

I, along with other people here think it would be really cool if Lunar : Magic School or Walking school could get ported. Especially if it was some kind of Lunar Collection with 1 & 2 packaged in with it. Really it would be a bright marketing move from Ubi Soft to expand upon the new generation of gamers who stumbled upon Lunar Legend, and wanted to get into the series. If there was a package like that, we Lunatics would run out and buy it right away! The first two almost guarantee that it will sell, and having Magic school included would clinch it. But because people take money away from companies it might be too risky to release, even if it's just a port or remake.

That's my latest rant on the matter... See the Lunar 3 thread for more if you want.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Greensky wrote:Hmm... and yet you seem to have such a strong disagreement with downloading movies. But I have my own personal rules in download movies that I abide by.

Sorry for bringing this up again, this is just my attempt to understand your negative outlook on what I've been spreading around lately.

I never download any movie that I would regularily go to theaters to see. For example, Duece Bigalo: European Gigalo is one movie I want to see in theaters. I also just saw Dukes of Hazzard in theaters, opening night.

But for movies I wouldn't see in theaters, I download. Therefor, not only does this not hurt ticket sales, but if I end up liking the movie enough, I'll buy the DVD when it comes out. I own a big DVD collection.

This is my personal reasoning behind downloading movies. Just thought I'd explain myself while the issue was on it's last leg. :P

I just must draw a comparison really fast to a scene in Office Space, when Peter and Joanna are driving along, and he's explaining how he skims a little bit of the profits from the company, where it rounds off to the penny. "That's stealing," his girlfriend says. He tries to explain that no one will use the money anyway, but that doesn't do it. He's built up this framework of justification, and she, outside the framework, sees what it is.

The justification isn't the issue here. I disagree with what you do on other reasons (like the fact that you see the movie without paying, which is unfair to others who see the movie and pay; you take an opportunity for free, and use and toss aside your hypothetical intentions at once), but the reason why we request that people stop discussing it is because it's in the rules. The rules are founded in order to keep this board running and appropriate in the eyes of legality and the many people that come here.

A lot of people talk about video game piracy like there's no consequences, but there are. Companies lose profits from people downloading games (I'm talking about current PC and GBA games specificly) and as a result they can't afford to take risks and would rather go with safe projects that are more likely to sell. A good percentage of GBA games are either re-releases, or remakes of older titles which just shows how bad it's getting.

Actually, there's been talk that perhaps Mother 1+2 (including the never domestically released Earthbound 0/Mother 1) wasn't brought over here because of the heavy illegal trading of a translated pirated game.

I'm sure that there're more factors than that, though I'd like to hear it from someone that knows so. I can only hypothesize.

Greensky
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Greensky »

The difference between Office Space and my downloading movies is, nobody loses any money from me downloading movies I would never pay to see in the first place, as opposed to the guy in Office Space directly skimming off profits.

Yes, I take the opportunity for "free" as opposed to not paying anything to not see the movie. It sounds like you disagree because I benefit out of nobody elses pocket. In my opinion, that's just part of the technological benefits of buying a computer.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

There's so many awesome games that probably won't get ported. It'd be really cool if English versions of Japanese games are available for download with Nintendo's new setup. Maybe there is hope for games like Earthbound Mother, Fire Emblem Gaiden, and others if you remove the manufacturing costs entirely.