Final Fantasy XII

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Final Fantasy XII

Post by exigence »

I reserved ff XII at Gamestop in the late summer before school started, it came out on haloween and i finnaly picked it up today. Im enjoying it so far im about 7 hours into it im at this sand sea thing. The main thing im having trouble adjusting to is the combat and the license systems can you guys give me any tips?

also did any of you notice the paralells to star wars?

han solo and chewy - balthier and fran

princess Leia - princess ash their both leaders of the resitance against the empire

Luke - vaan both orphaned and eager to join the resitance

CatsWithMatches
Red Dragon Priest

Post by CatsWithMatches »

Yay! Someone else noticed the star wars connections! You;ll notice more as time goes on, too :)

Seriously, the only real tip i have for licenses is pick a team, stick with them, and buy licenses only when you need them.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

Granted I do have my favorite party. I find that creatin' Job Type Characters is the way to go. Warrior, Gunner, White Mage, Black Mage, so on.
Also, I like to level up a lot. So Grindin' is a must. When it comes to your Licenses. If you stick with Job Related skills, you'll have enough to put into your armors. Which I recommend. You'll start to feel the damage if you don't take care of your defenses.
Also, if you keep everyone on a set course, you'll come across their Limit Breaks, or whatever they're called. They become invaluable! As you can spam them quite a bit and do MAJOR damage.
Make sure to take advantage of the Hunts as well. You get good Gear for free, cash, which is hard to come by in the beginin'. It will also help later on for various reasons I will not divulge.
That's all I have.
Also... I love Balthier!
ImageImageImage

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i unlocked one quicking for fran its called ferral punch or somthing like that i cant figure out how to use it the first time i used it it only did like 200 damage because i didnt push any buttons the next time i used it is on the boss at the entrance to the tomb of the dead its a giant fire bird i just mash all the buttons on the controler and i got about half its life bar down, i havent been able to pull that off since then and i still havent beat that boss. wow i have the TV on right now and this macys commercial totaly ripped off the song glory box by portishead.

i got through that boss and the demon wall now im stuck on belias im way under level. im wondering if it might be a good idea to use some of my teleport stones and go back to rabanaster to do some hunts but im not sure how hard the teleport stones are to find i dont want them to go to waste.

Asmodean
Legendary Hero

Post by Asmodean »

exigence wrote:i unlocked one quicking for fran its called ferral punch or somthing like that i cant figure out how to use it the first time

im not sure how hard the teleport stones are to find.
Well, your Quickenin's won't really be all that great until you can chain them together. Once you acquire at least one for three characters. That's when they get to be better. They really shine once you unlock all of them and chain them in a ridiculous fashion. No worries on that. R2 will become your friend once you get more.

Teleport stones become common place. You don't have to worry about wastin' them. You tend to get them as part of your rewards for the Hunts, and later on there is a Merchant or two that will sell them to you cheaply as well.
ImageImageImage

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

cool thats just what i wanted to hear i have 3 characters with 2 quicks unclocked and 2 more with just 1 quick unclocked im getting better at stringing them together but im still underleveld so i think im gonna tele to rabanaster and do a bunch of hunts.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You mean it took someone longer than a minute into the opening scene to think of SW? :P And considering there have been characters named Biggs and Wedge in most of the FFs, that shouldn't be much of a surprise.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

Yeah, they do a lot of SW references.. in FFX, Tidus sees the "spirits" of his father, Auron, and Braska standing together much like Luke seen his father, Obi-wan, and Yoda. I think in FFVI when Locke disguised as a empire soldier and is rescuing Celes she says something about him being a little short for a soldier. They do it a lot :)
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

Use the Force, Vaan!

Also, the opening scene does kind of look like the clone wars attack, doesn't it? Only more medieval...
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

I also thought the characters in this FF were a little more serious compared to the other stories. But aside that it's a great game. I am still at the very end.. I don't want the adventure to end. :lol:
Image"Sample my goods!!"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

AnimeJei wrote:I also thought the characters in this FF were a little more serious compared to the other stories. But aside that it's a great game. I am still at the very end.. I don't want the adventure to end. :lol:
the best FF is 4. a 3D DS remake is currently in the works. be excited.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

I prefer picking the over-hyped mediocre rape of RPGs team... oh wait, no I don't. *goes back to playing Ico*
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

who is coley and why is this person dead?

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:who is coley and why is this person dead?
Just a tad off-topic no?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'm not going to go into super detail, because you can do a search on the site and likely find quite a bit regarding her.

Suffice to say, she was a good friend to a lot of us, and was around since before LunarNET was even created (mid-98 or so). She passed away just over 2 years ago.

In fact, there's a section of LunarNET dedicated to her in the cosplay area if you're interested in a bit more about her.
-G1

LunarRaptor
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Final Fantasy XII

Post by LunarRaptor »

I got FFXII as well. I know this topic is a little old, but I have a question about it. I've played this game through and I think its really good, but it flopped. What exactly was it about this that people didn't like?

It can't because of anything to do with Star Wars, because the similarities between the two are superficial. The gameplay style is the same as old school FF games, only with the ability to move around at will included. the plotline is only bad if the haters willing to complain about FFVI and Star Wars' story lines as well. So, what was it?
"All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf the Gray

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I don't know. My fiancee and I have been playing through it avidly. She has the PS2 at her place right now, so when we aren't progressing through story, she loves doing different side-quests, leveling up, getting loot, etc..

There's nothing to me wrong about the story, about its presentation, or anything. Maybe it was just what people's expectations were.

And I wasn't aware that it flopped.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

I didn't really care for the storyline all that much. I thought it was boring and you knew what was going to happen so early on that I felt like there was no storyline. I could have cared less about someone because no one said anything! I didn't get to know the characters at all. I really hated the battle system. Magic was so pointless AGAIN. Oh and hey about the simple joystick play. Katamari Damacy was more fun. Why do all the characters have the ablity to be the same? I love the job system to death but set it up so everyone has their OWN JOB. Yes you can do that yourself but then whats the point? I like final fantasy for the characters and when they all become one it becomes really boring. How boring would SSSC be if everyone could have the dragon master skills? Oh and the Hunt thing? Why do all sidequests have to be the same? Oh and summons? Blah... I hope final fantasy can get away from this summon fever thing. So yeah other than those things... It's a good game. I'm just waiting for ff1-7,9 style to come back.
Depend On You Changed My Life.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

You should have chosen a worse game for comparison. Katamari Damacy is excellent and extremely fun. I can't wait for a Wii Katamari.

Sadrin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sadrin »

Katamari Damacy is like the greatest game ever! I meant that FF12 was so easy that you can just push the joystick and everything happens for you. Katamari Damacy you have to use both sticks and its fun and full of color. FF12 is very dull and boring looking aside from textures. I think ff12 would have been better if it was set up like FF Tatics. Katamari Damacy would be perfect for Wii. I just want it out on ps3! High-res blockynessisthebest!!!
Depend On You Changed My Life.