Final Fantasy XII: Should I or Shouldn't I...

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Final Fantasy XII: Should I or Shouldn't I...

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

Okay, first off from what I played on the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII, I wasn't impressed with the gameplay. But then, Famitsu came around and gave the game a near (if not) perfect score (as I recall).

But then, I still have my doubts. There have been very high rated games that I didn't enjoy, even RPGs. And this collector's box that Gamestop/EB Games is offering keeps tempting me, even though I know it's ten bucks just for a tin box and a few extras (like a making-of I'll likely watch only once).

But I'm still tempted. Argh. Advice would be appreciated ^^

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Well... I personally am going to buy this game as soon as it comes out... and I've never done that for a Final Fantasy before. My reasoning behind this is that I would like to reward the creators for at least making an attempt to improve FF's stagnant gameplay. So what if it's a step back (according to some), at least they're trying. And I can always turn on the Wait mode if I feel I'm losing too much control.

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Re: Final Fantasy XII: Should I or Shouldn't I...

Post by Imperial Knight »

AlasdairPalemoon wrote:Okay, first off from what I played on the demo that came with Dragon Quest VIII, I wasn't impressed with the gameplay. But then, Famitsu came around and gave the game a near (if not) perfect score (as I recall).

Famitsu gave it a perfect score of 40/40. But you should also keep in mind that Famitsu barely even plays the games they review. Honestly, their reviews are pretty much worthless.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I wasn't that impressed with the gameplay based on the demo either, but I actually thought that Final Fantasy X's story was a major improvement over Playstation installments. If the story is up there, I'll get used to the gameplay. I'll probably preorder the limited edition, because I always hate buying a regular edition of something if I can get some kind of limited edition for 10 bucks more. I need to go preorder it, but I figure I can wait until next week when they hopefully announce Wii preorder details.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I'm waiting for that announcement too, G1. This year is goging to be so hard on my wallet.

1) Wii
2) Twilight Princess
3) FF XII
4) Guitar Hero II
5) Various other Wii games as they come out

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, I'm so happy I have a decent job now. Between Wii and a game or two... I guess that still isn't that much. I can't see how some people can afford 3-4 games a month. Or more importantly, the time for it.
-G1

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, I'm so happy I have a decent job now. Between Wii and a game or two... I guess that still isn't that much. I can't see how some people can afford 3-4 games a month. Or more importantly, the time for it.

Me either. I'm currently at about 3-4 console games per year and the odd handheld game (even though the DS is changing that since it has some awesome games). Actually when I think about it I bought a few too many games last year. Oh well. My game purchases seem to be kinda sporadic.

AlasdairPalemoon
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AlasdairPalemoon »

GhaleonOne wrote:Yeah, I'm so happy I have a decent job now. Between Wii and a game or two... I guess that still isn't that much. I can't see how some people can afford 3-4 games a month. Or more importantly, the time for it.

Ditto. I have a huge backlog including games I bought two years ago o.o;

I think I'll wait longer and get some personal opinions about the game. I figure if I really wanted the limited edition, I could get it off ebay later.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Hey, I have all the time in the world for whatever I want, due to not working or going to school, and even *I* don't have enough time to play one game, much less 3 to 4. When I did work, I worked hardcore, and I was limited to just a couple of hours playing a game, out of all the games I wanted to play, so it was pretty difficult for me.

Edit: As for the limited edition, I usually get one of the limited edition, then one of the regular edition (to play.) That's what I did with Halo 2, I pre-ordered the special edition metal box for the shelf, and then bought the game itself when it came out. I just wish I had the ability to do that with Lunar.
Last edited by phyco126 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

GhaleonOne wrote:I can't see how some people can afford 3-4 games a month. Or more importantly, the time for it.

I find the combination of the two particularily bizarre. I can see how someone could afford to buy 3-4 games a month, and I can see how someone could have time to play 3-4 games a month. But it really does puzzle me how people could have both. Are they going into debt? Living with/spoiled by their parents? It's weird.

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

GhaleonOne wrote: I can't see how some people can afford 3-4 games a month. Or more importantly, the time for it.

3-4 a month? Wow, so far this year I have only gotten 6 games, several of them were used games like Devil May Cry 1 and Grandia III. I don't see how there could be enough interesting games to get 3 or 4 a month.

Time-wise, being able to play 3-4 games a month really depends on what kind of games you play. Some take longer to beat than others. Examples being Star Ocean: Till the End of Time, Kingdom Hearts II (I don't think it's possible to beat that game in less than 20 hours), and Dragn Quest VIII.

Of course it also depends on how much free time that player has. Some have a lot more than others, some have very little.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

GhaleonOne wrote:I wasn't that impressed with the gameplay based on the demo either, but I actually thought that Final Fantasy X's story was a major improvement over Playstation installments. If the story is up there, I'll get used to the gameplay. I'll probably preorder the limited edition, because I always hate buying a regular edition of something if I can get some kind of limited edition for 10 bucks more. I need to go preorder it, but I figure I can wait until next week when they hopefully announce Wii preorder details.

WOW!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

WOW!

Care to elaborate? Just curious, because it could be taken in more than one way.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

GhaleonOne wrote:
WOW!

Care to elaborate? Just curious, because it could be taken in more than one way.

Its just a very rare occurance that i see this opinion.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

There's a few people here that agree. I know Rune Lai was a fan of X. I just felt it was more colorful, simple and not so forced. The PS1 Final Fantasy's were very complex in their story telling, or at least FFVII and VIII were. Unlike most, I neither absolutely hate or love FFVII. It was a good RPG, but not the end-all-be-all that people make it out to be. In my opinion of course. However, VIII was a disappointment. It had a decent start, but fell apart as it went on. IX was kind of off doing it's own thing, but it had a bit of charm and some good characters. I still think VI is the best Final Fantasy out there though.
-G1

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

Maybe try renting the game first just to give the gameplay some more go.

At first I hated Chrono Cross's gameplay, but then it became one of my favorite battle systems ever. And one of my favorite games.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

GhaleonOne wrote:There's a few people here that agree. I know Rune Lai was a fan of X. I just felt it was more colorful, simple and not so forced. The PS1 Final Fantasy's were very complex in their story telling, or at least FFVII and VIII were. Unlike most, I neither absolutely hate or love FFVII. It was a good RPG, but not the end-all-be-all that people make it out to be. In my opinion of course. However, VIII was a disappointment. It had a decent start, but fell apart as it went on. IX was kind of off doing it's own thing, but it had a bit of charm and some good characters. I still think VI is the best Final Fantasy out there though.

My favorites are 4 and 6. I'm leaning toward 4, though.

Pisces wrote:Maybe try renting the game first just to give the gameplay some more go.

At first I hated Chrono Cross's gameplay, but then it became one of my favorite battle systems ever. And one of my favorite games.

I could barely tolerate watching someone play that. Chrono Cross had more plain shapes and colors than a kindergarten classroom.

Pisces
Threadkiller

Post by Pisces »

I could barely tolerate watching someone play that. Chrono Cross had more plain shapes and colors than a kindergarten classroom.

True. But I rarely play games for that sort of thing. It had one of the best plots to a game I've ever played. And that's usually the deciding factor on a game, for me.
"Let man's petty nations tear themselves apart; my land's only borders lie around my heart."

-Tim Rice, from the song "Anthem" in the musical Chess

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

I didn't really get into it because of the PLETHORA of RPGs that i still need to play and beat. I heard a lot of people bashing it and talking about how they hated it and only bought it because CT was so great (which i couldn't get into for some reason). I figured that was the major reason it sold..just like Xenogears sold the Xenosaga movies. Did i say movies? I meant games.....wait, no i didn't. :lol:

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

A lot of people can be wrong. ;) There's an Isaac Asimov quote about that.

"If a scientific heresy is ignored or denounced by the general public, there is a chance it may be right. If a scientific heresy is emotionally supported by the general public, it is almost certainly wrong."

Of course, scientific heresy here is a strong (and misguided) word, but the sentiment stands.

I agree with Eric on every point. I will even say that I enjoyed the graphics of the game, and like them even now. I know at one point Eric said that CC is a different game than CT... a different kind of game, plotwise and all (except for them both being an RPG and being in the same ... multiverse). Actually, my reasons for not replaying it are the same as yours. Too many... delicious games. ^_^
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time