Sega announces new Sonic 2D game... in HD!

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Sega announces new Sonic 2D game... in HD!

Post by DevNall »

Sega has announced they're creating a new Sonic game.

....Specifically, a new 2D game.

....And it's in HD.

All I can say is, about time!

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Re: Sega announces new Sonic 2D game... in HD!

Post by GhaleonOne »

Wow, that's actually pretty tight. I'll buy it just for the idea of it. If done right, it could be a great game.
-G1

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I didn't know they created any Sonic game after Sonic & Knuckles. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:I didn't know they created any Sonic game after Sonic & Knuckles. KF
They didn't. There's also no Lunar game on the DS.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote:I didn't know they created any Sonic game after Sonic & Knuckles. KF
The Sonic and Shadow levels were good in Sonic Adventure 2. Rest of the game... not so much.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Squee! Finally! 2D! That looks good!
Purist.

I revel in my sin of enjoying several of the 3D Sonics. "Of course he would! That's his screenname!" Precisely!

Sonic Rivals is perhaps my favorite racing game in the past five years. Yep, I said it.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

LALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU

I've always mourned the death (or at least increasing scarcity) of two genres: 2D platformers, and pinball machines. I'd love to see a new 2D Sonic game coming out, particularly since that was always my favorite series of platformers. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

A new 2d sonic could be great. I've always been a bigger fan of Mario though.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, I always loved 2d platformers too and was sad to see them go. Pinball machines... not too much. I always thought it would be cool to someday have a pinball machine in my house, but I doubt that I'd even get (edit: forgot to end this sentence and now don't remember where it was going.)

I'm not going to be overly optimistic about this new 2d Sonic game, but I'll definitely get it because I like the idea. It's going to be a download, right? It wouldn't really make sense to release it on a disc in my opinion.
Last edited by Werefrog on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

brightshield wrote:A new 2d sonic could be great. I've always been a bigger fan of Mario though.

That's like how people always have to bring up AC/DC when Metallica gets mentioned, even though they're extremely different.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'd have to agree actually. Mario and Sonic ALWAYS get compared, but they really are very different.
-G1

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

GhaleonOne wrote:I'd have to agree actually. Mario and Sonic ALWAYS get compared, but they really are very different.
Just because they're the main titles of two companies. The AC/DC and Metallica stuff only happens because of Beavis & Butthead's t-shirts.

Ardent Fox
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Ardent Fox »

No...no...no...

No more Sonic games. I don't care if this one is 2D, I don't care if it's going to be "just like the original" or anything. I don't want anymore. Nostalgia is this sadistic bastard that looms around dark corners of comic book shops and video game stores that whaps you with his "time bat" making you suddenly remember the joy you used to have while you played your favorite games. The first console I owned was a Genesis (since my father took the Master System II) and the first game I ever owned was Sonic. Since that time I watched the cartoon, read the comics and even have gone so far as to as buy some of the plushes. I loved Sonic, and when the aspect to put him in a 3D world was quite lack luster I began to lose some hope. This was of course around the time that the Dreamcast was a twinkle in Sega's unfocused eye.

Now we come to the 3D worlds of the new Sonic games and suddenly it's not just Sonic, Tails and Knuckles tearing up the screen. No, now we have a cat, a robot and Amy. While Amy was in the comic and Sonic CD back when the series was still soaring, I let her slide even if her levels were filled with crap and swinging around a hammer with her was like uniting north and south Korea (fnar fnar...).

The point I suppose I'm trying to laboriously get to is that Sonic games have become slipshod in the past few years it seems because it's no longer all about Sonic and his adventures to collect rings and emeralds and save his home world from Robotnik (I don't care what his real name is, he was Robotnik when I was a child). Suddenly all of Sonic's woodland pals believe they have to get what's coming to them and appear in every game he's got coming. This includes Angsty the Hedgehog, Slutty the Bat and Cream the...yeah, that joke wont be made by me. His cast grew too fast too suddenly and games these days staring the little blue blur are too filled with game mechanics that feel like they were a last minute thought.

To end this long rant, I will say in closing that a new Sonic game will not make me happy. If you love something then it's best to let it go I say, and I love Sonic. I hate to see this turn he suddenly made. The best thing at this point is no more games. Should I be proven wrong and this game be just like we remembered, then perhaps I'll come back to the series having been hit with the same bat that smacked me upside the head when the New Super Mario Brothers game came out.
Last edited by Ardent Fox on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ruby
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Ruby »

Honestly, I have to be honest I'm not terribly thrilled about this one either. Sega just isn't the AAA software developer they used to be. They generally seem to come up with some great ideas but are unable to follow through or fall short, a track record that they keep repeating again and again, release after release. They really need to scale back and set more realistic goals for themselves and achieve them rather than charging ahead like it's still 1993. Oh, and stop gutting your old franchises like Phantasy Star would be nice too.

Then again, at least it's no Mega Man 9.
Last edited by Ruby on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Looks like this is just something that some fans were doing and is not a real game.

Sorry.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Huh, weird. Oh well, I'm playing Sonic 3 and Knuckles between doing my homework. I'm content with the 2d Sonic games we have. Besides, I've never played Knuckles Chaotix, yet.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Aaron wrote:Looks like this is just something that some fans were doing and is not a real game.

Sorry.

NOT sorry. Fan made games have been great. I love the Tales Of Phantasia translated rom a lot more than the GBA release. And if you think you're hardcore enough (You likely aren't) then there is Mario Forever and The Legend Of Zelda: Parallel Worlds for you to check out.

They got 98% done with a Crono Trigger rom sequel and Squeenix had to threaten legal action if it even leaked. I think the same was done with Ocarina Of Time 2D. People need to shut the hell up about their projects until they're already available online.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, that 2d Ocarina of Time looked pretty sweet too. (So did the 3d Chrono Trigger). There's a lot of other Zelda fan games. I think it's called Zelda Classic. /Google

Yeah, that's it. You might want to check that out.

(The Mother 3 fan translation is one fan project that I'm glad went off without a hitch. In a way, though, it just confirms that Nintendo doesn't care about the Mother series anymore.)

Edit: Wait, Aaron, were are you getting your information about it being a fan game? There's an interview on Gamespot with a Sega Big Wig about the game, so I'm pretty sure that it's an official Sega game. There's a fan game that's remaking the Sonic game for the PS3 in 2d (which I'm guessing is going to be toast now that Sega is making a 2d Sonic game), but that seems to be a different game.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Werefrog wrote:There's an interview on Gamespot with a Sega Big Wig about the game, so I'm pretty sure that it's an official Sega game. There's a fan game that's remaking the Sonic game for the PS3 in 2d (which I'm guessing is going to be toast now that Sega is making a 2d Sonic game), but that seems to be a different game.
This is the case as far as I know. There's the new 2D sonic game (official), mentioned here:
Kotaku announcement
and the remake of Sonic 2 in HD (fan project), here:
Sonic Retro forums - S2HD Project

They're two distinct projects. The former sounds like an all-new game; the latter is a remake of Sonic 2. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

well none of you googled project needlemouse.

Here is the link

http://www.needlemouse.com/

**Edit** Never mind, I was wrong enjoY!