BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Post by GhaleonOne »

Has anyone heard of this? I saw a link earlier about it describing it as the first HD sprite-based 2D fighter. I'm not really into fighting games, but the HD hand-drawn 2D looks gorgeous. And whoever localized it looks like they took a page out of WDs book with some crazy $80 limited edition versions. Haven't looked into what's included, but just curious if anyone has heard about this game and if it's worth picking up. Reviews seem to be very positive.
-G1

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Re: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

Post by DragonmasterDan »

I have it, it's excellent it depends how much you like fighters. Also the limited edition is 60.00 (but apparently only available for the initial print run of the game), it just has a two disc soundtrack and a bonus disc (gamestop.com had an art book apparently too skanky to carry in stores). It's a great game and a nice value, but you have to like 2D fighters. I rushed out to buy it. Also, if you're going to buy it, you need a good controller (read Arcade style joystick) for either PS3 or 360 to really enjoy it. Standard gamepads just don't suffice.

I like the game a lot, it's aesthetically gorgeous and a bit of a departure from most 2D fighters in terms of design.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I'd like to get it, but I dunno. I'm not really into fighters period, and I've got a lot of other stuff to spend money on. However, I love limited edition stuff, especially with it looks like it's got a lot of hand-drawn artwork and stuff.
-G1

Sonix
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Sonix »

I'd like to get it, but not that much. Game is not worthy of importing.
"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

Sonix wrote:I'd like to get it, but not that much. Game is not worthy of importing.
It's not an import, it's a domestic release.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

He's from Europe, so it would be importing for him.
-G1

DragonmasterDan
Lunar Legend

GhaleonOne wrote:He's from Europe, so it would be importing for him.
Ah, my mistake.

Anyway, I buy very few new games. I mostly buy older games or clearance games. And I paid full price for it. So in my mind it's worth it. But it depends what you like.

Part of the problem is 2D fighters (outside of downloadable games) are becoming something of a lost genre (much like the Shmup). Sure Street Fighter IV came out earlier this year, Kof and Tatsunoko Vs Capcom are on the way soon as well. But maybe only 2 or 3 are released most years, and very few that are using sprite (rather than polygonal) graphics. So to me it's kind of a dying breed of game as well, which makes it all the more fun to pick up. The only domestically released 2D fighter I could think of last year (that wasn't another Guilty Gear port) was Arcana Hearts.

It's a genre I don't want to see die or relegated to downloadable content only.
And obviously I like the special edition treatment it recieved.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I actually may pick it up. I didn't realize the limited edition was going for the price of a normal PS3 game. Since it appears the limited edition is only one run before being out of print, I think I'll buy it. Even if I don't play it a ton, it seems the kind of game, especially as a limited edition, that might end up fetching high prices 4-5 years from now on Ebay.
-G1