Castlevania Pre-order issues

Your general gaming entertainment thread.
From Mario to Sonic, Zelda to Final Fantasy. Talk about it here.
localflick
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Castlevania Pre-order issues

Post by localflick »

I pre-ordered Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia at Gamestop because I thought that you get a bonus cd if you pre-order there. Today when I went to pick up my copy and I was told that they didn't receive any pre-order bonus to go with it, but if there was some kind of mistake I could come in later and pick it up.

So I just assumed I was wrong about the bonus disc and probably saw it for another game or something. Then I went online and found many blogs and articles (Google "Castlevania Gamestop pre-order") saying either they got a 6-track soundtrack cd, they didn't get a cd, or that they got a code to go online and download the six tracks as mp3s. One said that your location determined whether you got a pre-order bonus or not. If I knew I wouldn't get a bonus for pre-ordering, I'd rather have gone to the Best Buy across the street to get it.

Has anyone pre-ordered this, and if so what happened? I don't even care about the cd as much as knowing what's going on. Of course it would be nice to put it next to the Simon Belmont figurine and big box of stuff that came with the last two Castlevania pre-orders.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Re: Castlevania Pre-order issues

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Oh good! I'm not the only one with this problem! >_<;

I went to a few different Castlevania online communities and didn't see anything about having problems with the pre-order while I did! I'm glad I found someone else with the same problem.

First, the guy who got my game went to check to see if they had it in the back, but they didn't. Then one of the other guys said he had been asked that by other people who pre-ordered the game, but he didn't know why they didn't have anything. He told me I could come and check on it on a later date.

It won't be a huge deal if I miss out on 6 songs, but I'm kinda with you. I want the CD up with my other Castlevania pre-orders too. XD

If it depends on location, I live in Indiana, which is right next to Illinois. So, maybe our states and the surrounding areas didn't get it or something? o.o

Ok, so I've been to 3 different places: Chapel of Resonance, Castlevania Dungeon, and Gamefaqs. Serval people there have the same problem...no pre-order CD. It seems like most people got it though. At least on those forums anyway. o_o

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

I don't know if it's a Konami problem, or a Gamestop problem. But I do know I'm going to think twice before I pre-order anything at Gamestop ever again.

Japan got a way better pre-order bonus than us anyway... Konami released a special edition package where you get your copy of Order of Ecclesia and a journal with a leather cover stamped with Castlevania ornamentation. It looks like some kind of gothic Bible, and because it's Japanese it opens right to left. Super-cool, but to import it here from play-asia.com it's over $100 which is a bit too high for a nifty notebook.

Cool package though:http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g- ... -2xkc.html

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I've never had problems with my Gamestop in the past, but I should have known it would eventually happen to me. I hear way to often of people getting cheated out of their pre-orders. I've read even where some of the Gamestop employees even give out pre-order bonuses to people that don't even pre-order games. D:

Oh well...I at least better get my pre-order bonus with Castlevania Judgement when it comes out or all war will be unleashed against my Gamestop. :mrgreen:

That journal thingy for Ecclesia in Japan look so cool! Why does Japan have to get all the cool things? :cry:

Oh well, even if it did come here, I wouldn't have the money to get something that expensive.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I lost my god damned DS Lite charger. =\

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

At the local EBGames stores, a few people got canned because they where stealing the pre-order bonuses and telling the customers that they never recieved them and/or the location was not part of the program.

They got into trouble with quite a few people over that one, but that was years ago.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

phyco126 wrote:At the local EBGames stores, a few people got canned because they where stealing the pre-order bonuses and telling the customers that they never recieved them and/or the location was not part of the program.

They got into trouble with quite a few people over that one, but that was years ago.
You have no idea how common this is. Lunar is a big one for that. Don't expect any extras if you get a game through a place like EBGames or Gamestop.

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

What is the purpose of a pre-order bonus in the first place? Rather what incentive is it to have the game purchased at one store versus another?

I can't find an update on this, and pretty much accepted the fact that we probably won't get the bonus CD.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

localflick wrote:What is the purpose of a pre-order bonus in the first place? Rather what incentive is it to have the game purchased at one store versus another?
Most stores offer bonuses to employees if they can get people to pre-order. Also, if a store has a certain number of pre-orders, it gives a much better estimate of how many games they should order for their stock.

The only purpose is to get you to pre-order from one store over another. There's an incentive from the store's point of view, definitely. But, there's no real incentive for the customer unless they offer a price cut or pre-order bonuses. Since I never see the former happen, and the latter is often iffy, I never bother pre-ordering. If I want a game that much, I'll order it online. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Hirohiigo Togashi
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Hirohiigo Togashi »

Well, if you get a pre-order from Gamestop you should definitely ask them when picking up your game if there was a pre-order bonus. A lot of times the employees will be dealing with both pre-order people and regular buyers and will completely forget about the bonus. I almost didn't get my Metal Gear Solid 4 artbook from Gamestop, until I asked them about it.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Yeah, I have to tell them about the bonuses most of the time. I would have been ripped off lots of bonuses if I wouldn't have said anything in the first place. Luckly, I check their website to see if there is a bonus on my games.

I've come to accept the fact that I won't be getting the CD too. I'm not too upset about it since it was only a 6 track CD. :P

By the way, for those of you who got Order of Ecclesia, how are you enjoying it? It's been worth every penny for me so far. ^_^

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Speaking of pre-order, there's one for Chrono Trigger DS, right?

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Yeah, a 2-track CD, though one of the tracks is supposedly a 15-minute long medley or something.
-G1

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

By the way, for those of you who got Order of Ecclesia, how are you enjoying it? It's been worth every penny for me so far. ^_^
I really love it! Just got to the end today and was surprised at how long it was.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Hm... I just bought two games from GameStop.

They forgot to include the actual game. So I paid $60 for two empty boxes.

Now I need to go back next Saturday (since I'll be gone all next week). Plus, now I have no new games to play while I'm in flight. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Kizyr wrote:Hm... I just bought two games from GameStop.

Now I need to go back next Saturday (since I'll be gone all next week). Plus, now I have no new games to play while I'm in flight. KF
I had the opposite happen to me at EBGames... bought a game and they put the wrong on in there, which was the $50 several Star Wars games in one game... but since it was for a MMO and the case manual (including the key code, which is all I needed anyway since I already have the game installed) I ended up with two free games.

Don't worry, Karma is bound to catch up with me eventually.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Kizyr wrote:Hm... I just bought two games from GameStop.

Maybe you have to ask for the actual game too? O_o

That sucks. The only trouble I ever had involved buying a Game Boy Harvest Moon which turned out to be a defunct cart.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

I came back into the store. They said they didn't have the games in stock, so, they gave me a refund for the game. Fortunately, there was no big problem getting the refund. Also, that'll be the last time I shop at GameStop.

...I've sworn off Best Buy, and now GameStop. I don't have very many options left for buying games. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

localflick
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by localflick »

If you live near a Hollywood video they have a chain of Gamecrazy stores that may be a good alternative. I have a friend that lives near one and while it's a bit far for me to go to on a regular basis I try to stop by when I visit him.

Anyway, it's like Gamestop without the evil. As in trade-in prices were decent, and generally speaking the prices are a lot more fair -meaning that rare games cost a little more than the rest but are still reasonable. Plus unlike Gamestop they never destroyed their inventory of old games so you can still buy Genesis and Snes games there. Just don't expect a great selection since there's usually just sports games. But last time I went I got 5 Saturn games for $5, and the girl working there put every single one in a disc cleaning machine before giving them to me just to make sure they were in good condition. If I lived closer I'd give them all the business I could.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Kizyr wrote: ...I've sworn off Best Buy, and now GameStop. I don't have very many options left for buying games. KF
Amazon's a good place. That's where I get my games when I don't want a new release right away. Free shipping and better prices than the specialty shop. Just out of curiosity, why don't you go to Best Buy anymore? I don't go there very often, but I've never had much of a problem there. (The security is annoying, though. The one I went to didn't have the cashiers take off the security tags, so you had to stand in a different line for that. I didn't know that the time I went there, and I set off the alarm.)