Mauri
No votes

Total votes: 22

Quark
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Who is your favorite hero?

Post by Quark »

You can only pick one. I am not necessarily looking for who would win in a fight, just who you like best.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Re: Who is your favorite hero?

Post by phyco126 »

I like Dyne the most. I wish we had more backstory to him.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

I would say Ghaleon, but only if you include both Lunars.

But I always liked Mel, and Dyne/Laike is cool too...I don't know who to vote for. lol

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

It seems like the vote is very much split so far. I would probably go with Dyne/Laike as a close second. My vote was for Mel.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I voted for Lunn because he had the most interesting boss fight. Fighting a boss battle with a solo Jean not long after she went through her "change" was really cool.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Dyne! He's the penultimate Dragonmaster! I also like how you get to see him in two different ways. First as the hero of Lunar, a young man full of ideals. Then as an older man, no longer in any positions of power, just adventuring as he loves to do while still keeping to his old oaths to protect Lunar, watch over Luna, and so on. Most hero stories stop after the first one.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

WD RPG WD
White Dragon Knight

Post by WD RPG WD »

Also went with Lunn. So much potential, not enough story for him.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Man, that is so weird. Everything about Lunn's story that IS known is repulsive. Even the people in the dojo who apparently don't know about his cult say that he's sadistic. Add to that the child abduction and abuse, and I always felt there was an undertone of sexual abuse in Jean's story too -- if not by Lunn then by his underlings.

I haven't voted because I like most of the TSS group and Leo as well. It did occur to me, reading Sonic#'s comment, that it's interesting to compare Leo to Dyne/Laike. As an adult, Leo has the idealism that Dyne would have had as a young dragonmaster-aspirant, although his role as White Knight is different from that of a Dragonmaster. His reaction to learning about the false Althena is perhaps reminiscent of Ghaleon's reactions to what he (Ghaleon) considered Althena's folly (in both main versions of the Lunar 1 storyline), first cracking and then acting to bring down the current power structure even though he'd held a key role in it.

Actually, Leo at the end of the game is probably close to what Dyne would have been like if he'd publicly "retired" as Dragonmaster rather than being presumed dead. I had some other thought along these lines but seem to have lost it.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I always <3 Leo. That's who I'd aspire to be if it were all real.

Also, while Lunn was a great villain, he had no redemption. I actually like the storyline change that was done in the translation, where Jean didn't really forgive him, but just tried to move on. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

You all make quite compelling arguments. I see there has been no love for Borgan. What's the problem? Do people not appreciate obnoxious, pathetic, self-centered sadists?! lol

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Well, Lemia, Mel, Leo, and Mauri were the only ones who were completely heroes. Mel did have a pirate past, though he moved past it when he became a 'hero'. Leo and Mauri were manipulated/controlled, but Leo at least still pursued what was right himself, even though he was part of a larger organization that (unknown to him) was preparing for something awful.

Borgan, like Lunn, I thought had no redemption. He was in control of himself when he got the power of the Black Dragon, and he was in control of himself when he sent all those people to slave away in the mines. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Kizyr wrote:Well, Lemia, Mel, Leo, and Mauri were the only ones who were completely heroes.
And Dyne?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

ilovemyguitar wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Well, Lemia, Mel, Leo, and Mauri were the only ones who were completely heroes.
And Dyne?
Whoops! Must've overlooked him. My bad. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

brightshield
Red Dragon Priest

Post by brightshield »

Ghaleon easily. He had the most depth by far. Dyne would be my second favorite though.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I was caught between Leo, Ghaleon and Mel.
But Ghaleon won out. :3
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I couldn't decide between Dyne or Ghaleon at first...but I chose Dyne because he was (as far as we know) good through and through. Shining defender of the world. Dyne.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I changed my vote to Leo. Reading those translated Hiromi Hosoe short stories has reminded me of how much I've always loved him as a character. Lunn can suck it.

Quark
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Quark »

I guess I've always liked Mel because of his duality. He is a reformed man, who cast away his pirate past and became a proud father and Governor of Meribia. It's just a great story.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Yeah, Mel's a nice counterpart to Dyne/Laike, going from an outside-the-law scoundrel to a respectable official. While Laike isn't exactly a scoundrel, he's not all about enforcing the law (or whatever passes for it); he finds Kyle's protection racket hilarious rather than stamping it out.

This sort of thing is why I haven't voted in this poll. Too many good options.

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I voted Ghaleon - he was the one that captivated me the most. I love most of the heroes from all the games - but his story is one that really intrigues me.