Would you like to see a Lunar convention held in the US?

For any and all webpolls.

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I'm not sure if this has been done already, but I thought of this today and thought it'd be a cool idea. There are plenty of fan based conventions that are held every year in the US. There are conventions for Star Wars fans, Star Trek fans, and even for general anime fans. What do you guys think about having a convention for just us Lunar fans? Maybe we could invite some of the people involved in the creation of the Lunar Games to be special guest speakers. Kizyr could translate for those of us who don't know Japanese. You like how I volunteered you Kizyr? Lol. Anyway, I think this would be kind of a cool idea to unite the Lunar community and actually meet each other face to face. I know I'd love to meet you guys. It would probably require a lot of funding, but I'd definitely be willing to contribute what I can. So....what do you guys think?
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Alunissage
Goddess

Re: Would you like to see a Lunar convention held in the US?

Post by Alunissage »

I've never been to a convention, but I am sure that there are not enough people to make such an effort at all worthwhile. Maybe eight or nine years ago it would've been feasible. I'm guessing the height of Lunar's popularity in the US would've been the latter half of 1999, when SSSC was released.

There have been Lunar panels at Otakon, which is probably the closest it's likely to come.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I agree with Alunissage. It is certainly possible to hold a panel, and if someone were savvy enough they could even incorporate that into a larger panel grouping of JRPG themes where Lunar could get brought up quite a bit.

Maybe a get together of fans around a con might be possible, if enough thought and planning were put in, and if people were willing to undertake the expense and time of travel to go to the said con. But I don't think Lunar is popular enough to have a con on its own.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Yeah, I don't think that we could have our own con.

I wouldn't be opposed to some other sort of meet-up, though to meet some fan in real life. I think part of the problem is that we're all so spread out. I may be going to Gencon (in Indianapolis) this year, if any members want to go there. It's a pretty fun con. I "met" Gary Gygax there last year. I didn't know who he was at the time, but he said something to a friend and me when we first arrived. All I knew about him at the time was that he had a funny hat on. It wasn't until after Gary's death that I looked him up on Wikipedia and recognized him from Gencon.

Also, they had the Mythbusters there a couple of years ago.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

It wouldn't work, sorry.

I mean, the first Lunar panel was packed, and that was like... oh, 50-60 people? And that was at a larger convention.

There's a difference between really liking a series, and liking it enough to cross a few states and go out to a convention specifically for it. Also it'd be tough to actually come up with content for an entire convention's worth.
Werefrog wrote:Also, they had the Mythbusters there a couple of years ago.
I'd consider it an accomplishment if I could talk to Kari Byron without flustering and saying something really silly. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Werefrog wrote:Also, they had the Mythbusters there a couple of years ago.
I'd consider it an accomplishment if I could talk to Kari Byron without flustering and saying something really silly. KF
You'd be better than Adam still I'm sure. Oh, I should mention that it was just the "Build Team" that was there and not Adam and Jaime. And Kari's definitely part of the Build Team. Hmm... I feel like I'm missing an obvious pun that I could make.

Oh also, last year there were some people from Farscape there. They weren't the upper-tier cast members (and even upper-tier Farscape actors are pretty low on the totem pole), but I thought it was kinda cool to see the people whose TV show I watch when I have insomnia.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Oh, yeah, and something else. I can't translate speech; I wouldn't ever volunteer to do that. Translating for people talking is a different skill set from just being able to speak a language. That's something I leave for professionals.
Werefrog wrote:You'd be better than Adam still I'm sure. Oh, I should mention that it was just the "Build Team" that was there and not Adam and Jaime. And Kari's definitely part of the Build Team. Hmm... I feel like I'm missing an obvious pun that I could make.
I do like Farscape, so I would've enjoyed that. Not a huge fan, but I like it.

And I really <3 Kari Byron. Jenner knows this; she's heard me talk about Kari like she talks about Elijah Wood. That's why I'm afraid if I ever got the chance to talk to her, I'd blurt out something ridiculous out of nervousness, like "i want you to bear my children" or something. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

I don't really know all that much about conventions, so I wasn't really sure if this was something we could pull off. Obviously it's not. I'm suprised someone actually voted "no" on this poll though. This may be an impossible task, but wouldn't it be cool to participate in if it WAS possible?

On the note of panels....what do you guys think about actually getting a panel at a bigger convention sometime this year? Obviously our own convention isn't possible, but this could still be fun. I've heard good stuff about Dragon Con which I believe is a gaming convention, so that might be an idea. However, I've never been to it, so I'm not sure if it would apply to "video game" gamers.

I dunno, it's an just an idea.
Dwight: "One thing about deer, they have very good vision. One thing about me, I am better at hiding than they are...at vision."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Otakon is the largest anime convention on the East Coast. It's already a large convention.

DragonCon is a sci-fi convention mainly. I've wanted to go since in the past few years they've had the Firefly cast there. Lunar wouldn't really fit. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

AlexHiro4
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by AlexHiro4 »

Kizyr wrote:Otakon is the largest anime convention on the East Coast. It's already a large convention.

DragonCon is a sci-fi convention mainly. I've wanted to go since in the past few years they've had the Firefly cast there. Lunar wouldn't really fit. KF
That's good to know. Do they still have a Lunar panel at Otakon or did that stop a few years ago? I live on the East Coast, so this would be a convention that I could reasonably get to.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I went to DragonCon last year, it's a blast... though if you ever plan to go, be prepared for loads of crowds.

There was an entire anime track worked in there though, including basically all the kinds of anime you can imagine (and late-night hentai and yaoi), and a video gaming one if I'm not mistaken, though admittedly a lot of that one covered MMORPGs (as I recall, most of that was World of Warcraft).

If someone was motivated enough and got in early, they could propose a Lunar panel. But Otakon seems like a better venue, since it's specifically geared toward that sort of thing.

And I missed the Mythbusters panel there last year. Something involving them moving the room to another hotel, and not having the time to get there. ;)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I would love to see a convention, but as others have said, there wouldn't be enough people.
Werefrog wrote:Yeah, I don't think that we could have our own con.

I wouldn't be opposed to some other sort of meet-up, though to meet some fan in real life. I think part of the problem is that we're all so spread out. I may be going to Gencon (in Indianapolis) this year, if any members want to go there. It's a pretty fun con. I "met" Gary Gygax there last year. I didn't know who he was at the time, but he said something to a friend and me when we first arrived. All I knew about him at the time was that he had a funny hat on. It wasn't until after Gary's death that I looked him up on Wikipedia and recognized him from Gencon.

Also, they had the Mythbusters there a couple of years ago.
When is Gencon this year? I've never been to Gencon, but I hear about it everytime it comes to Indy.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

It's sometime in August every year I think. Here's the site for it http://www.gencon.com/2008/indy/.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Thanks! ^^'

I might see if I can go this year. I highly doubt it'll happen, but who knows.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Kizyr wrote:That's why I'm afraid if I ever got the chance to talk to her, I'd blurt out something ridiculous out of nervousness, like "i want you to bear my children" or something. KF
You watch Inuyasha much? =P

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

phyco126 wrote:
Kizyr wrote:That's why I'm afraid if I ever got the chance to talk to her, I'd blurt out something ridiculous out of nervousness, like "i want you to bear my children" or something. KF
No. I watch Mythbusters much.

There are 3 people that, if I ever met in person, I'd be really nervous that I'd blurt out something stupid and embarrassing like that; Kari's one of them. There would be 4, but I met the fourth one without getting flustered. Took a lot of resolve, though. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Guess I should be lucky then, most people I meet I just ignore.

Now, as for a Lunar convention, I would go, money and time providing.

Jenner
Dragonmaster

Post by Jenner »

Kizyr wrote:
phyco126 wrote:
No. I watch Mythbusters much.

There are 3 people that, if I ever met in person, I'd be really nervous that I'd blurt out something stupid and embarrassing like that; Kari's one of them. There would be 4, but I met the fourth one without getting flustered. Took a lot of resolve, though. KF
I've already resigned myself to the knowledge that Kizyr will be thinking of Kari while we're together. That's okay though, I'll just imagine Elijah Wood, we'll have our perfect marriages then! :mrgreen:

Anyway, on a more topical note, I don't think a Lunar Convention would work. I hate to piss on everyone's party but conventions are made on the pretense of being profitable. I really don't think there are enough Lunar fans out there who will be able to come to any Lunar Only convention no matter where it's located and regardless of who the convention got to show up to make the ordeal profitable. It would be a brutal moneypit.
The Infamous Jenner!
Maker of Lists.
RIP Coley...
still adore you Kiz.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Ah, but the money pit would SOOOooooooo be worth it. XD

Now, having your fantasies in marriage is all good. But I heard when you are making love and you moan out names that arn't your husbands/wifes, then that's cause for concern. =P

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Jenner wrote:I've already resigned myself to the knowledge that Kizyr will be thinking of Kari while we're together. That's okay though, I'll just imagine Elijah Wood, we'll have our perfect marriages then! :mrgreen:
Remind me to show you that one Coupling episode that talks about this, the next time you're over. In it, Jeff has one theory that when two people in a relationship fantasize about someone else, the targets of that fantasy have a connection established. When David Beckham and Posh Spice got together, it was like the epicenter of fantasies across the UK. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)