Other
38%

Total votes: 39

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Favorite Character Of SSSC or EBC

Post by kyle1992 »

Pretty simple poll. The one I would choose would be Kyle.

Note: changed max to one instead of three
Last edited by kyle1992 on Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"may you go with god's protection"-Nicholas D.Wolfwood

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Re: Favorite Character Of SSSC or EBC

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I only voted for Luna. I'm such a rebel. :lol:

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

I always like Jessica and Mia but Alex was the best main character

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest

Post by kyle1992 »

lutomboy wrote:I always like Jessica and Mia but Alex was the best main character
I think Mia was better than Jessica but for some strange reason I think Luna was the better main character

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

Luna was to emotional Alex was a more balanced out

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest

Post by kyle1992 »

lutomboy wrote: Alex was a more balanced out
explain please

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

I meant Alex never let his emotions take control of him he was always in control where you have Luna on a rampage of destruction. I think if she wonted to she could have beaten Ghaleon if she could have controlled her emotions and used her goddess power he would have been killed before Alex got there

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest

Post by kyle1992 »

but she never knew she had goddess powers until Ghaleon captured her. And she couldn't use them on Ghaleon because he was "controlling her".

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

I don’t care how much power Ghaleon had when she found out she hade the goddess power she could have broken the bound but she didn’t

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

kyle1992 wrote:
lutomboy wrote: Alex was a more balanced out
explain please
Look at how many lines he had in the whole game. He's far from the best character. He's just an awesome guy to play as because since he wasn't given the depth Hiro has, it can feel more like it's you when you play it.

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest

Post by kyle1992 »

lutomboy wrote:I don’t care how much power Ghaleon had when she found out she hade the goddess power she could have broken the bound but she didn’t
because she was to emotional to even try so thats when Ghaleon found the chance to control her?(i think that might sound right)

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

it sounds right to me :P

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

You're making totally unreasonable assumptions that a) Luna was vulnerable because she was emotional and b) she could have broken free if she just really wanted to (which is to say, if she were more emotional -- you can't have it both ways). In other words, you are blaming the victim, saying that clearly she just didn't try hard enough to resist. It sounds to me like you are working off of some skewed premise that OF COURSE she's "too" emotional (and, by implication, weak), which I would guess is based on the sexist assumption that women are more emotional than men (and that emotion is weakness).

The whole point of Luna being destructive -- although I don't know that she ever does anything destructive herself other than raising the Goddess Tower / Fortress of Althena -- is that she is being used by Ghaleon. She's not a person, with free will; she's a thing, a weapon. And while it's memories of her emotional bond with Alex that awaken her from this controlled state, the key word is memories, not emotion. She didn't remember her life as Althena when she was Luna, and she didn't remember her life as Luna when she was Althena... thus there was no reason for her to change from one to the other even if she were able to at her own will. It isn't until after Ghaleon is dead that Alex is able to remind her of being Luna. (For all we know, her foster parents Noah and Thalia could have done the job too, once Ghaleon's influence was gone.)

Actually, that's an interesting question: whether Ghaleon actually could have controlled Althena against her conscious will. When she was under his control, she had no memory of being Luna (or, probably, of being the benevolent goddess of Lunar) and thus had no reason to act against him; her personality and wishes were molded by him. The personality she shows at the top of the Grindery (in SSSC) is basically that of Royce or Xenobia. Could be an interesting little fic idea, I suppose, imprinting the blank slate of bespelled Althena with the vicious personality of the Vile sisters.

I wish I could remember more of Dragon Song's dialogue about Althena being controlled; it'd be relevant here. Though come to think of it I STILL haven't played any of the important parts in English, so it's not a matter of memory. :P I suspect that the premise of DS would contradict the idea that she could resist attempts to control her if she is fully aware of herself as a goddess, but of course Ignatius's situation was considerably different from Ghaleon's and that would probably account for her near-helplessness in that situation.

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest

Post by kyle1992 »

Alunissage wrote:You're making totally unreasonable assumptions that a) Luna was vulnerable because she was emotional and b) she could have broken free if she just really wanted to (which is to say, if she were more emotional -- you can't have it both ways). In other words, you are blaming the victim, saying that clearly she just didn't try hard enough to resist. It sounds to me like you are working off of some skewed premise that OF COURSE she's "too" emotional (and, by implication, weak), which I would guess is based on the sexist assumption that women are more emotional than men (and that emotion is weakness).

The whole point of Luna being destructive -- although I don't know that she ever does anything destructive herself other than raising the Goddess Tower / Fortress of Althena -- is that she is being used by Ghaleon. She's not a person, with free will; she's a thing, a weapon. And while it's memories of her emotional bond with Alex that awaken her from this controlled state, the key word is memories, not emotion. She didn't remember her life as Althena when she was Luna, and she didn't remember her life as Luna when she was Althena... thus there was no reason for her to change from one to the other even if she were able to at her own will. It isn't until after Ghaleon is dead that Alex is able to remind her of being Luna. (For all we know, her foster parents Noah and Thalia could have done the job too, once Ghaleon's influence was gone.)

Actually, that's an interesting question: whether Ghaleon actually could have controlled Althena against her conscious will. When she was under his control, she had no memory of being Luna (or, probably, of being the benevolent goddess of Lunar) and thus had no reason to act against him; her personality and wishes were molded by him. The personality she shows at the top of the Grindery (in SSSC) is basically that of Royce or Xenobia. Could be an interesting little fic idea, I suppose, imprinting the blank slate of bespelled Althena with the vicious personality of the Vile sisters.

I wish I could remember more of Dragon Song's dialogue about Althena being controlled; it'd be relevant here. Though come to think of it I STILL haven't played any of the important parts in English, so it's not a matter of memory. :P I suspect that the premise of DS would contradict the idea that she could resist attempts to control her if she is fully aware of herself as a goddess, but of course Ignatius's situation was considerably different from Ghaleon's and that would probably account for her near-helplessness in that situation.

that seems pretty logical. I have nothing else to say.

Angelalex242
Legendary Hero

Post by Angelalex242 »

I voted. If anyone has to ask who for, I beat you with a stick.
Don't blame me, Lucia promised me lots of snuggles and cuddles if I would be her PR guy.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Of these four Lucia is my favorite (she has the most interesting character arc of those listed), but I voted for "other" as my actual favorite is Leo. I think he's the character in the series whose personality is most clearly and realistically defined, and I've got a soft spot for characters that are genuinely good people struggling to do the right thing. There were more than a few moments in the game where I just wanted to give him a big ol' hug,

lutomboy
Red Dragon Priest

Post by lutomboy »

That and when he casts a spell he uses the dumbest saying, but they always made me laugh

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

ilovemyguitar wrote:I voted for "other" as my actual favorite is Leo. I think he's the character in the series whose personality is most clearly and realistically defined, and I've got a soft spot for characters that are genuinely good people struggling to do the right thing. There were more than a few moments in the game where I just wanted to give him a big ol' hug,
Ditto, except for the part about voting, since I haven't. I didn't like Leo at all when I first encountered him in EB, but I really warmed up to him. He really goes through a lot, trying so hard to do the right thing and be the best representative of Althena he can, only to find that it's all a sham and he has to pick up the pieces and figure himself out again. The repressed clownery coming out when he dons the mask is really the icing on the cake, making him not just respectable but lovable.

You should totally read Darrell's (DezoPenguin's) short fics about Leo posted up at the Shrine. At least, I assume they're posted there. I should go find out; it's been some years now since I read them.

kyle1992
Red Dragon Priest

Post by kyle1992 »

lutomboy wrote:That and when he casts a spell he uses the dumbest saying, but they always made me laugh
and you can change the sayings around (like in the little manual handbook that adds humor)
for example:
remember my name mystere!*slips on his cape* :lol:

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Alunissage wrote:Ditto, except for the part about voting, since I haven't. I didn't like Leo at all when I first encountered him in EB, but I really warmed up to him. He really goes through a lot, trying so hard to do the right thing and be the best representative of Althena he can, only to find that it's all a sham and he has to pick up the pieces and figure himself out again. The repressed clownery coming out when he dons the mask is really the icing on the cake, making him not just respectable but lovable.
The clownery as Mystere is great and fun (and not to mention a breath of fresh air when the game was veering into fairly dark territory), but if you psychoanalyze it you get a genuinely heartbreaking snapshot of Leo's mental state at the time. He was attempting to disguise himself, and the persona that he felt would be the most removed from his actual identity was that of a brave and selfless hero fighting for truth and justice. To want to create such an overtly heroic persona to act as an idealized version of himself, and to believe that flaunting these qualities would make him unrecognizable to his own best friend, underscores just how scared he was and how far removed from these principles he felt he had become.