MKV - Japanese Audio, English Audio, English Subtitles, No Subtitles
38%

Total votes: 8

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Dub or Sub?

Post by gemini2378 »

I recently download and converted the Lunar SSS PC video files from here and I was wondering what people prefer - Japanese audio with English subtitles, or English audio without subtitles.
Last edited by gemini2378 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Lunar files
Useful programs - WinRAR and VLC Media Player

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Re: Dub or Sub?

Post by ilovemyguitar »

If I'm going to play a game in English, I want it to be entirely in English. I have no desire to learn Japanese, nor do I want to hear it or read it when I'm playing a game that has been localized. It's just annoying.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

When I play a game, I don't mind hearing Japanese if there are subtitles. You have an option for all Japanese, so I have a question: are there people who actually feel that games shouldn't even be subbed when they're brought over? If so, that's some pretty strong cultural elitism.

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant

Post by gemini2378 »

If so, that's some pretty strong cultural elitism.
The reason that option is there is for quality. When you add subtitles, you lose quality. This is especially true for the method I used, since I don't have access to the original source.
My Lunar files

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Oh, okay. I understand. I thought the question though was about what we prefer when playing games.

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant

Post by gemini2378 »

As an Anime fan first, RPG fan second, I have a feeling I'm in for a number of misunderstandings during my time here.
My Lunar files

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

That's funny. Now I can't download any of the movies from the Movies page. I keep getting Borgan, which is only titillating the first zero times. :/

I slightly prefer Japanese audio with English subtitles in this case, but only because I've already seen them dubbed, and it'd be interesting to see something different.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant

Post by gemini2378 »

According to http://www.lunar-net.com/multimedia/movies.php the files are located here: http://www.lunar-net.com/movies/filename.zip
But according to http://www.lunar-net.com/sssc/movies.php they're here: http://www.lunar-net.com/media/movies/filename.zip

It seems neither one is correct, so I uploaded the originals to my MediaFire page as well.
My Lunar files

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Hmm... it may be related to the transition to the new site. G1 will probably fix it as soon as he realize there's a problem.

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

I prefer stuff in English, but if the Japanese audio has subtitles I don't mind. Hopefully soon I can teach myself Japanese soon so I don't have to worry about it anymore. *stares at her piles of Japanese books*

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Dangit, yeah, I renamed the media directory to multimedia during the big switch, so some non-multimedia pages still link to old files.

What you're looking for would be at:

http://www.lunar-net.com/multimedia/movies/filename.zip

However, I'm in the middle of moving, so doing any kind of site work is kinda out of the equation for a bit. However, if I don't fix the link by the end of February, someone remind me. :P

Edit - Hm, nevermind, not there either, and come to think of it, filename.zip sounds suspiciously like a temorary filename that I never got around to replacing. I'll look into it more when I get some time.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

I'm... not sure what the question is about? You're asking if we'd want you to post the Japanese movie files with English subtitles? Or if we'd want you to dub the Japanese movies with the US game's soundtrack? Why would we want you to do either? I'm pretty sure G1 intends to post the Japanese movies eventually, if he hasn't already (and how much "conversion" would the PC ones need, anyway? they play just fine by themselves), so at most a transcript of the scene would be needed, similar to what the WD guide has... no point plastering text over the animation when we all know the gist of the scene and they're generally pretty short anyway. And there'd be zero point in adding the US sounds to the J movies when the US movies are or will be posted. The point of interest is what's DIFFERENT about the Japanese (and Korean!) audio from the US one; the video is the same.

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant

Post by gemini2378 »

GhaleonOne: ...come to think of it, filename.zip sounds suspiciously like a temorary filename that I never got around to replacing. I'll look into it more when I get some time.
Sorry, either I shouldn't have hyperlinked that part or I should have written "*.zip", because I didn't literally mean a file called "filename.zip."
Alunissage: And there'd be zero point in adding the US sounds to the J movies when the US movies are or will be posted. The point of interest is what's DIFFERENT about the Japanese (and Korean!) audio from the US one; the video is the same.
On an anime forum you'd never see someone say that the main difference between a 224x192 video and a 640x480 video is the audio track. This isn't an anime forum though, it's a Lunar forum, and since you're one of the experts on all things Lunar it would be foolish for me to think I know more than you do when it comes to what Lunar fans are interested in. This renders everything I've posted, with the exception of my fangame as worthless. That's okay, as it means I won't have to spend time or bandwidth uploading stuff anymore.
My Lunar files