No votes

Total votes: 0

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

-

Post by gemini2378 »

-
Last edited by gemini2378 on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Lunar files
Useful programs - WinRAR and VLC Media Player

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: Is it okay to download Lunar games?

Post by Kizyr »

Unrelated to this, you should review the rules regarding piracy and ROMs.

There is no ROM/ISO trading on these boards. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I'm not a fan of downloading games for PC use, especially in this day and age when older games have started popping up for sale on stuff like X-Box Live and the Wii's Virtual Console. Just because a game hasn't been made available in that medium doesn't make it okay to download them illegally.

gemini2378
Meribian Merchant

Post by gemini2378 »

Kizyr wrote:Unrelated to this, you should review the rules regarding piracy and ROMs.

There is no ROM/ISO trading on these boards. KF
I deleted the poll, but it was just a question, not a request. When it comes to downloading lunar content, I'm only interested in art and videos, not game code.
My Lunar files
Useful programs - WinRAR and VLC Media Player

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Re: -

Post by Kizyr »

I'm fine with the question and poll. But I didn't want any requests for ROMs/ISOs coming up as a result.

You can re-do the poll if you want (by editing the original post). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

ilovemyguitar wrote:I'm not a fan of downloading games for PC use, especially in this day and age when older games have started popping up for sale on stuff like X-Box Live and the Wii's Virtual Console. Just because a game hasn't been made available in that medium doesn't make it okay to download them illegally.
I've used the Virtual Console quite bit. I'm a fan of it for the most part, but I have a few gripes. I think that Nintendo set the price points a little too high (especially for the NES games). Secondly, I'm worried about what will happen in the future when the Wii has abandoned. Will I just lose all my games if my system breaks? Finally, the selection leaves a lot to be desired (where's my Earthbound?).

I don't want to get into a big discussion about piracy because we've had it before. I'll just say though that in my opinion this is really two questions. Is it legally okay to download Lunar? Of course, the answer is no.

The second question is if it is morally okay to download an out-of-print game. This question is a hard one for me to understand. The video game companies aren't losing any money on this, so what's the problem? You could argue that this takes money away from the used game stores. However, I have a feeling that the people who would normally buy a physical copy of a classic game will still buy the physical copy just for the ability to have a physical. According to Chris Anderson (author The Long Tail), piracy actually helps niche markets. I'll try to find his blog where he argues this, so you can see his reasoning behind it.

Just some things to think about.