If a new Lunar game were made...

For any and all webpolls.

What system would you want a new Lunar game on?

Nintendo DS
11%
Sony PSP
11%
Sony PlayStation 2
4%
Nintendo Wii
43%
Microsoft Xbox 360
18%
Sony PlayStation 3
14%
Sega/Mega CD :-P
No votes

Total votes: 28

Nobiyuki77
Legendary Hero
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

If a new Lunar game were made...

Post by Nobiyuki77 »

A quick poll for you ladies and gents.
-Nobi

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

I voted DS. Despite how bad Dragon Song was, it wasn't the DS' fault. If the developers had put in the same effort as a console game, it would have been good. Plus, I play handhelds more than consoles now.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I vote Wii. Another DS game would be cool, too, but I'd really like it to be a console title. Nintendo has established itself as a company that's all about substance over style (i.e., games should be fun, not just pretty), so I think it'd be good for the series to stay with them for now.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm toggling between the Wii and DS. I'll vote whenever I've made my mind up about that {^^}.

I'm more along the line of what Werefrog said. The DS is a great system, and it's true that Dragon Song could've been an awesome game if, say, another year of real work had been put into it. Also, the graphics could be kept simple and more similar to what was in the rest of the series (pretty much, if the game is still 2D, or something like the isometric view that Dragon Song had, it'd have to be on the DS).

However, I really don't think that Game Arts would put serious effort into the next Lunar title unless it's on a console. Which is why I'm leaning towards the Wii as well. If the next Lunar game came out for the Wii, we can be a lot more certain that serious effort will be put into it to make the game good. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Zophar
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Zophar »

I'd prefer it to be on a console cause I don't have much interest in handheld games. If it were to be on the 360 that would be awesome in my oppinion. But if it were to be for the wii, well my parents are interested in getting the wii. So if they do get it I can just buy a copy of the lunar game and play it when everyone else is asleep. Of course this is all IF there will be another lunar game. I'm a bit worried about that considering how terrible Dragon Song did.

Enigma
Nanza Bandit

Post by Enigma »

I pick the 360. And for those of you voting Wii, think about how difficult that would be. They would have to completely remake the battle system so it would work. The Wii is not good for Rpg games and nintindo never have been.

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Enigma wrote:And for those of you voting Wii, think about how difficult that would be. They would have to completely remake the battle system so it would work. The Wii is not good for Rpg games and nintindo never have been.
Say what? They wouldn't have to change anything for the battle system. If you think about it, traditional RPGs have a very simple control scheme that could easily be implemented on the Wii Remote (for RPGs, I don't mind using the d-pad for movement at all). Remember, there's no law that developers have to use the motion controls.

Oh, and about Nintendo systems not being good for RPGs, don't you remember the SNES? That was for me the pinnacle of RPGs.
Last edited by Werefrog on Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Enigma wrote:I pick the 360. And for those of you voting Wii, think about how difficult that would be. They would have to completely remake the battle system so it would work.
The Wii-mote can be (and for many games is) turned on its side and used like an old-school NES controller.
Enigman wrote:The Wii is not good for Rpg games and nintindo never have been.
Are you kidding? The SNES was the console for RPGs back in the day, and lately there are plenty of excellent ones on their handhelds (Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Pokemon, the 3D Final Fantasy III remake, etc).

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

It looks like you and I are on the same page here, Ilovemyguitar.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Apparently we don't have to have great minds to think alike. :-P

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

i actually wouldn't mind well implemented motion controls. the battle system could use some spice. without monotonous battles and WITH sidequests, a third console lunar would be excellent. also, i'd like all text to be voiced. NPC's included.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:also, i'd like all text to be voiced. NPC's included.
Only if they have an option to turn spoken dialogue off. Otherwise, I'd probably go nuts.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It looks like you and I are on the same page here, Ilovemyguitar.
That's my favorite page of the book too. :P

As for my vote? Wii. Two reasons, which intersect at the Wii.

1) I want the series to succeed, and to succeed, it needs a good installed user base to sell to. This writes off the PS3 already. And it's best bet, based on installed base alone would be the DS or PS2. In terms of next-gen consoles, the Wii beats both the 360 and PS3. The PS3 has had a horrid start in terms of an installed base, and the Wii is outselling the 360 at this point quite well.

2) Go back to voice acting and lots of animation. It was an important part of Lunar that was lacking in Legend and DS. It's not to say they can't create a good Lunar game without these elements, but why not throw them in? They enhance the story quite well. The PS3 actually wins that battle, with the 360, Wii and PS2 coming in there after.

Basing my thoughts on these two things, the Wii is the best option. So while the game could look amazing, and contain TONS of FMV, voice, etc. on the PS3, I write the PS3 off due to it's lack of a big enough userbase.

And while the DS has a very large installed base, FMV and voice just wouldn't be in large enough quantities.

So things kind of meet with the Wii. A good, solid installed base which is growing by leaps and bounds, along with enough space to throw in voice and animation, and powerful enough to create a really good Lunar title, and the Wii wins hands down. And if they did implement a few motion control idea's well, it would be nice, but like Werefrog said, even at that, there's no law that says they have to use motion control for a game.

Wii for me!
-G1

PrettyGirlJean
White Dragon Knight

Post by PrettyGirlJean »

I voted for PS3 based on the amazing and beautiful clarity and detail I've seen thus far (anyone seen the MGS4 and Heavenly Sword vids?). While I wouldn't mind it being on a handheld, I'd much prefer a HD quality on my big screen. While the PS3 is off to a rocky start, I think once it gets rolling it'll be like the ps2 surpassing the variety in games that both nintendo and the xbox offer. Perhaps this won't be so with this generation of consoles, especially with the Wii and 360 ahead of the PS3, but I guess time will tell :)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Enigma wrote:I pick the 360. And for those of you voting Wii, think about how difficult that would be. They would have to completely remake the battle system so it would work. The Wii is not good for Rpg games and nintindo never have been.
To counter what Werefrog said, I'd also say that there's nothing that says a battle system can't be remade, so long as the system still meets expectations. Chrono Cross changed a whole bunch from Chrono Trigger, and I like both systems about as much. Between Secret of Mana and Legend of Mana were tremendous changes, but I actually prefer Legend of Mana's battle system (... mostly). I'd either want them to do their traditional thing well (as Dragon Quest strives to do) or to do a new thing that works well.

I am inclined to say the Wii, but like Zophar, my inclination is based on what I'd be likely to get, rather than how well it would do. Really, I could see a Lunar game being well-made on any console, and dare I say it, any handheld. But I don't demand the sharpest graphics nor the most intuitive controls. I'd just want it to work with what it's made on.

In that sense, I'd welcome FMVs, but wouldn't miss them if they weren't there.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

if it were to stay in the psx lunar style and the userbase were bigger, i'd actually say PSP. i'm pretty sure that has the capacity for plenty of FMV without having so much that the game sucks. (lol ffx) and it could probably have the voice acting.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

I'm going to pick the DS for this for three reasons:

1. Existing user base. Good to have people to sell the game to, 'cause we'd want a Lunar game to be a success (or at least enough of a success in Japan to get the game licensed for a release in whatever country we posters may happen to be in).

2. Style. The DS appears to be the most anime-style, 2D-art friendly game system out there. The Sony systems have always been about the 3D (not exclusively, yes, but it's always been the big push), as have the Xboxes. If I see Lunar on the box, I want to see something that actually resembles the Lunar games I love in general style and mood--otherwise, the label will just be a marketing tool instead of an indicator of what we're getting.

3. I own one. I don't own a Wii. :D

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I vote PS2, cuz it's shiny and graphicy, cheap and uses CDs :D And it's sony. w00t.

Stupid fanboiz huh?

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

This is a tough decision for me. I kind of prefer either PS2 or DS from the standpoint that I already own them. On the other hand, I'm not so sure the DS is the best system for Lunar based on many of the same concerns that G1 has. It's not so much that I'm against the DS as I'm just not so sure it's suited for Lunar given how big a part of the appeal of the series comes from the animation and voice acting. Of the new consoles, I suppose the Wii would seem like the best choice given the installed base problems that the PS3 has (and that Xbox 360 has specifically in Japan) and since I don't really see the graphical power of the PS3 or 360 being much of a concern with Lunar.

Boris Moskovitz
Iluk Crackpot

Post by Boris Moskovitz »

How about the PC? Its manpower can be as strong as one might want and it's been severely lacking in Eastern RPG games lately, the latest proper ones I remember being ports of Final Fantasy VII & VIII (Final Fantasy XI doesn't count). There was also Legend of Swordsman and Fairy, which met with a good reception in its home country China, but never really got out to the rest of the world (aka it never got a translation... pity).

Oh, and you wouldn't have to get into all those silly console wars that way. Maybe you can have an argument with a Mac user every once in a while, but who cares about them? :P

Just kidding, of course. I don't mean to blast anyone for owning a Mac.

But in the end, even if a Lunar 3 were to happen, it definitely wouldn't be on the PC. But since this thread is about wishful thinking, I thought I'd put it in there. :p