Sonic
50%

Total votes: 20

prinnie dude
Nanza Bandit
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Mario or Sonic?

Post by prinnie dude »

This took me awhile to figure out but I would have to go with sonic, probably because one of my uncles loves sonic and can beat any of them in hours.

Well I thought it would be a good question to ask. And I cant wait to see what comes up.

DevNall
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by DevNall »

Is this in reference to the upcoming Olympics videogame? I saw a trailer with Mario and Sonic racing, and I can't can't see any way Mario could possibly win that.

Although I'd sure he'd do much better when it came time to swim.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Every Sonic game I've seen has made me motion sick, and only a few Mario games have, so I'll go with Mario.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I went with Mario. He has more personality.

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I'm still not sure...

I grew up with both. I was more of a Sonic fan back during the Sega Genesis / Sega CD days, but Mario has sort of lasted much longer. I mean, I like Sonic 3, Sonic CD, and Sonic & Knuckles more than any of the Mario games, but I like a larger number of the Mario games overall (say, Mario 1-3, Super Mario World, Mario 64, Mariokart, etc.).

Not to mention that Mario seems to me to be more "iconic". I only have two Sonic-plushes in my room (Sonic and Knuckles), but five Mario ones (Yoshi, Bullet Bill, a 1up, Boo, and a giant paragoomba). Not to mention that my car's license tag and window decal are Mario-themed.

...this is really tough. I dunno if I could pick either over the other. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

Mario. Sonic is massively overrated.

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

Mario. Straight up. I never even though Sonic was in the same league. He was kind of a cool character, but Sonic's gameplay never even came close to most of the Mario games to me. I would choose all three main Mario NES games, Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, etc. before any of the Sonic games. Plus, even at that, Sonic has gone horribly downhill over the years, whereas Mario has stayed strong. Perhaps because, while there are a lot of Mario spin-offs, they really only rarely put out a Mario game in the main Mario series. And they're always good, if not amazing.
-G1

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

As much as I love them both, I have to say Mario.

I grew up with Sega Genisis and the NES, but I was more a nintendo fan when I was a kid. I remember watching my dad play Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Super Mario Bros. until I became old enough to try them both. Funny thing is, I remember watching both the Sonic and Mario cartoons that were on TV too. I loved them both, but Mario was always my favorite out of the two (Games and Cartoon). In fact, I always loved Mario games more than any other games until I came across the world of RPGs.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Oh dear. Well, it is my screen name, what do you think I'd pick?

I grew up with Sonic. And, indirectly, with Mario. Both evoke some sort of nostalgia. Mario has a whole bunch of levels in different worlds. Sonic has less levels, but more constant action. It's not that I prefer it, but it's more familiar. Playing the old Marios is like talking to a person I kinda knew in elementary school, that was cool and everything. Playing the old Sonics is utter liberation for me. I don't know Super Mario 3 like I know Sonic 2, Sonic 3, or Sonic & Knuckles.

And I've also liked a lot of the Sonic cartoons, and the Sonic comic when I still read it. The storyline... I could really get into some of them, and it was more there than just "Oh, Robotnik's enslaving animals." The more recent games have been spotty (I actually loved Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Riders, but not so much Sonic Heroes, and what I've heard about it for the X-Box 360 has been dismaying).

So I'm compelled to say Sonic, though I can understand if Mario gets more votes.
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

ilovemyguitar wrote:I went with Mario. He has more personality.
You really think so? I think it's the other way around, but that's probably just because I'm a Sonic girl. :wink: I have to oppose that statement, I feel Sonic has more emotion and personality traits than Mario.

Sonic. Hands down.

I grew up with the Genesis being my first console ever, and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 being my first video game ever. I watched the SatAM Sonic the Hedgehog show every Saturday morning with my brothers and sister. We also watched the crappy DIC show. xD My sister was obsessed with Sonic, and still is. We have just about every Sonic game there is as well as all kinds of different blue hedgehog related cartoons, comics, plushies, toys, shirts, bed sheets and other such merchandise.

And as a character, I like Sonic much more than Mario. Despite Sonic's cocky arrogant attitude, I still like his personality better than Mario's. xD Overall I just prefer the Sonic universe over the Mario one.

I grew up on Sonic. So I might just be totally biased. :oops:
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

Definitely Mario, he's stayed true to himself throughout the eyars, and thus outlasted his competition. Ever since Sega stopped making consoles, Sonic's fortunes have plummeted, at least that's how it seems to me. I love all the Mario games that have come out, can't really seem to choose one in particular. I fell behind after Sonic and Knuckles, and haven't really kept up since. And, sad to say, it seems like I haven't missed much. That's a real shame, makes me wonder what went wrong. :(

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

LuNaRtIc wrote:
ilovemyguitar wrote:I went with Mario. He has more personality.
You really think so? I think it's the other way around, but that's probably just because I'm a Sonic girl. :wink: I have to oppose that statement, I feel Sonic has more emotion and personality traits than Mario.
i fully agree with this. Sonic is much more expressive. Mario isn't too damn far from being a "link". he stands there pretty much when a conversation goes on....even in his RPGs!

exigence
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by exigence »

i went with sonic i never had nes or snes i only had genesis growing up. and sonic was my favorite game.

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

*yawn* I picked Mario. He was cool. Did speed, mushrooms, and habanaros to get his special abilities. It's like, Alice in Wonderland!

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

Ozone
Dragonmaster

Post by Ozone »

Kefka ftw! Wait....

Seriously, Sonic was always more interesting for me than Mario was... so... Sonic it is.
"'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes." - James Morrow
"I'll hit your head with the thunder clap, you're seeing Horus"

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

exigence wrote:i went with sonic i never had nes or snes i only had genesis growing up. and sonic was my favorite game.
I'm beginning to think THIS is pretty much THE way someone ends up liking Sonic more than Mario. This is the most common reasoning i've found.

If only i could travel through time and make sure everyone got to have an NES, a SNES and a Genesis so we could know for sure.

DezoPenguin
Red Dragon Priest

Post by DezoPenguin »

Sonic, for me. If it hadn't been for playing Sonic II on my friend's Genesis in college, I'd never have bought one, and would never have discovered Shining Force, never have discovered Phantasy Star, and of course never have discovered Lunar. So even though I can't even clear the Chemical Plant Zone (okay, I suck supremely at platformers, I admit it freely), I owe much to Sonic.

Besides, he's a hedgehog, and my wife loves hedgehogs.