Lunar Legends
No votes

Total votes: 17

ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Best one?

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

Okay...so...I'll leave dragon Song out, seeming as how no one's gonna vote for it...which do you believe is the best Lunar?
Lunar is the 2nd greatest game next to FF

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

There's no S in Lunar Legend. Though I didn't even note the other typo there at first... we'll see how long I can stand it.

And are you really asking which is objectively the best, or which is one's favorite? Those are two different questions. I think EB is probably the best in terms of design (except for the treasure chest placement), but my favorite is still TSS.

Bravo 29
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Bravo 29 »

My favorite is TSS, because of the soundtrack, the characters, and the overall story. EB is a close second, with SSS and EBC bringing up the rear. I never got to play L:L so I can't say. I really should one day.

AlexofBurg
Lostest Boy

Post by AlexofBurg »

I think that EBC is probably the best overall, but my favorite is most definately SSSC.

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I voted for EBC. I've always liked that story more than the first, and I think the changes they made to EBC over EB are good enough to make me like it more.

If I'd gotten a second place vote, I would have voted for TSS, simply for nostalgic reasons.

LuNaRtIc
Bromide Hunter

Post by LuNaRtIc »

I voted for SSSC, it's my favorite and the best in my opinion. I have such an emotional attachment to that game as well, it's not even funny. xD
「美しい白い竜 愛しい白い竜…」
My avatar art was done by luleiya! <3

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Heh, more diversity than I expected. I still haven't voted because I'm waiting for an answer to my question.

Bravo, I've been replaying Legend recently, and liking it a lot more than I did when it came out (coincidentally the English version, which I'd preordered, was released the day I was laid off, so I was not in the best of moods when I started it). Of course, one of the biggest ways in which it differed from the earlier games was the battle system, but DS gives you new appreciation for any system which lets you pick your targets. Luna's Arts spell results in actually being able to use magic in the dungeons instead of constantly hoarding it (if you tend to do that) for the boss since it restores MP, making the battles less tedious. The NPCs still say goofy things (goofier still in some cases because all the alcohol references were changed to food or soda), there are some secrets, which Lunar is a bit light on generally, and it has undeniably the cutest and most expressive sprites of any of the games. I do remember that the quality of the dialogue went down later in the game, but it's pretty OK in the beginning.

ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

Lol, you were waiting, It's called "sleeping"

anyways, I'm just asking what's the one they think is the best, which IS there favourite, so I'm only asking one question...What do YOU THINK is the best one?

oh yeah, and one of the differences in Legend that I hated was that Nash, you got him in the very beginning didn't you? I had to sell it...wouldn't let me save...

Dark_Fairy
White Dragon Knight

Post by Dark_Fairy »

Well, its kind of a tie between EB and EBC for me, but I'll go with EBC. I always liked the story in eb/ebc better than tss/sssc/legend. I chose EBC over EB because the graphics are better and EBC was my first Lunar game.

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

ShadowKnight47 wrote:Lol, you were waiting, It's called "sleeping"
Lol, saying I was waiting for an answer merely means that I wasn't going to vote until it was clear what I was voting on, whenever that occurred. It wasn't like I was putting "hey, check out my question on the poll" at the end of every post.
anyways, I'm just asking what's the one they think is the best, which IS there favourite, so I'm only asking one question...What do YOU THINK is the best one?
No, these are NOT the same thing. I think the best-designed one is probably EB. But the game I consider my favorite, the one for which I have the most affection, is TSS. Liking something does not necessarily mean one is unable to objectively assess its merits and weaknesses, which would be required to decide what is "best".
oh yeah, and one of the differences in Legend that I hated was that Nash, you got him in the very beginning didn't you? I had to sell it...wouldn't let me save...
What the hell are you talking about? There are several bugs associated with saving, but none of them prevent one from saving. What does that have to do with having Nash at the outset?

ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

....WTF? ok...I'll try to explain....

^^I meant overall:

Graphics

Gameplay

anything else ya want to add

so, yeah...they're the same thing...

And I was only listing a few reason on WHY I had to sell it...mine couldn't save....tried many times...I couldn't do it...I wouldn't have sold it if it could'a saved...

If your fav OVERALL is TSS, then vote it if ya want

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Alunissage wrote:
What the hell are you talking about? There are several bugs associated with saving, but none of them prevent one from saving. What does that have to do with having Nash at the outset?
Actually... yeah, there was a bug associated with saving. At least one person on these boards came by with the exact same problem (he/she actually said that he left his GBA on and plugged in for the entire time because of that).

It's funny that all these bugs were pretty much caused by expanding the number of save slots from 2 to 3. But anyway, the "no save" bug is in a handful of Lunar: Legend copies, and we've come across it before on here.

Getting Nash in the beginning, also, is something that was taken from the SSS novelization. A few of the events and background of L:L actually mirror the SSS novels (getting Nash in the beginning, Nash wanting to be Dragonmaster, Alex's father not being around, etc. Kyle, however, was not a pirate). KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

It's also possible the battery in the cartridge was dead. That would keep a person from saving.

As for my favorite, the original EB gets my vote. EBC was an improvement in the graphics and cinema area, and it did flesh out a few things (Nall and Ruby, what originally happened on the Blue Star, etc.) but they also left some things out that disappointed me (Ghaleon's appearance at your final approach to Pentagulia along with Ghaleon and Lucia's cutscene inside Pentagulia's dungeon specifically). Plus, the dumbing down of Borgan, and to a lesser extent, Lunn, was really disappointing. Many of the dungeons were also dumbed down, though the epilogue had lots more extras.
-G1

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

Kizyr wrote:Actually... yeah, there was a bug associated with saving. At least one person on these boards came by with the exact same problem (he/she actually said that he left his GBA on and plugged in for the entire time because of that).

It's funny that all these bugs were pretty much caused by expanding the number of save slots from 2 to 3. But anyway, the "no save" bug is in a handful of Lunar: Legend copies, and we've come across it before on here.
You have it backward... the number of save slots was decreased in the conversion. The Japanese game has three, the NA one has two. That's part of the indignity of the bugs like the full HP/MP and the item duplication, that the save system doesn't even give you the same number of slots in addition to screwing up your data.

I don't remember someone being unable to save entirely for that game, though; I do remember people having that problem with DS. Not doubting you, just saying that I don't remember.
Getting Nash in the beginning, also, is something that was taken from the SSS novelization. A few of the events and background of L:L actually mirror the SSS novels (getting Nash in the beginning, Nash wanting to be Dragonmaster, Alex's father not being around, etc. Kyle, however, was not a pirate). KF
The visit to Quark/Fidy with everyone saying his name to get in is also in Lunatic Festa, and it sounded to me like the pirate ship was too. Ramus wasn't, though.

And one more time, one's favorite game is not necessarily the one with the best graphics. It's not necessarily the one with the best gameplay. It's not necessarily the one with the best music, or dialogue, or plot, or characters. There is probably no game in the series which is "overall" the best in these things. In my own estimation, TSS has the best music, EB has the best gameplay, SSSC has the best characterization (except for Nash), Legend has the best sprites and perhaps even in-game graphics, and EBC is probably the best at something too although I'd have to replay it to figure out what. If I were ranking each of these and other characteristics and adding up scores, EB would probably score the highest, as its music is only a little behind TSS's and it has the most interesting magic system, but that STILL wouldn't make it my favorite, as I don't like the characters as much as TSS's and the dialogue is kind of a low point for bad jokes and obsolete references.

MaroonChan
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by MaroonChan »

Well, it would be either EB or EBC. That's my favorite. Probably since I played it first.

ShadowKnight47
Reza Thief

Post by ShadowKnight47 »

...You're taking the word "Best" way too literate...Just what do you THINK is the best one in the series...It's not THAT hard to understand

AnimeJei
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AnimeJei »

I really can't say because it would tear me in half!! >< It can't be LUNAR DS.. but I still think DS could have been great and if they make a remake it will be great!! I like the changes made from TSS to SSSC.. and between SSSC and EBC they all have lovable and memorable characters... if I absolutely MUST choose it would be TSS..because it's what started it all off for me. If I didn't play TSS and love it then I might have never played EB and so forth... but this is killing me, why did I reply?! :cry:
Image"Sample my goods!!"