Are we alone in the Universe? You-decide!

For any and all webpolls.

Are we alone in the Universe?

Yes, highly advanced civilizations are out there bartering, warring, and look for human meat.
23%
No little green men don't exist. But I do believe that there are probably fauna and bacteria that are alien
26%
You've got it all wrong! Aliens don't exist but we are not alone! Angel's and Demon's are out there and half-breeds. (By clicking this one your acknowledging that God also exists...)
13%
No, nothing is out there.
3%
Silly person, of course aliens exist! So do angels/demons and God.
36%

Total votes: 39

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Are we alone in the Universe? You-decide!

Post by Aaron »

So what is it for you?

Personally I don't believe aliens exist in any form.

But, I do accept the existence of Angels/Demons and Angel-Demon half-breeds & God

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

I think there's a very strong probability of microbial life, and perhaps more advanced life forms, even within this solar system. There's already evidence of ancient microbial life that was once on Mars (the Martian rock found in the arctic last decade).

That and I think within our lifetimes, we'll send an unmanned probe to Europa to detect if life exists there. Considering that there's a good chance that some of the same conditions that exist near geothermic vents on the ocean floor on this planet also exist on Europa, and there's a marvelous array of life near those geothermic vents, I do think that if we're going to find life anywhere in this system beside Earth then it's going to be on Europa. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Faust
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Faust »

Honestly I would to believe that there are also intelligent alien life form somewhere out there. However findings proved otherwise...>_<
Truth be told I also believe in the supernatural.

*Wonders whether there is an alien somewhere out there thinking about the very same thing on it's native's RPG forum*

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Post by Benevolent_Ghaleon »

I believe there are probably bacteria and whatnot out there. I also believe in the christian version of God.

I used to live in Texas so I know there are "aliens" :lol:

yes...i know. that wasn't PC. :(

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:

Nor was it funny.

And back on topic, I want to believe.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Benevolent_Ghaleon wrote:I used to live in Texas so I know there are "aliens" :lol:

LMAO

I thought it was funny. I didn't get it at first...I thought you were talking about roswell or something. Then when I read werefrogs post I was like...OH LOL.

who cares about being politically correct?

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Werefrog wrote:

Nor was it funny.

Considering that you're so informed on what is and isn't funny, why aren't you writing movie scripts and doing stand-up?

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Can the argument now, please. I don't want this thread diverging off-topic like that. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Werefrog wrote:

Nor was it funny.

Considering that you're so informed on what is and isn't funny, why aren't you writing movie scripts and doing stand-up?

Actually, I'm doing both now non-professionally. Gotta start somewhere. And I'm still in school, and I want something to fall back on.

Edit: Made less harsh.
Edit 2: Made much less harsh. Expanded upon reasoning.
Last edited by Werefrog on Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aaron
Blue Dragon Ninja

Post by Aaron »

Kizyr wrote:I think there's a very strong probability of microbial life, and perhaps more advanced life forms, even within this solar system. There's already evidence of ancient microbial life that was once on Mars (the Martian rock found in the arctic last decade).

That and I think within our lifetimes, we'll send an unmanned probe to Europa to detect if life exists there. Considering that there's a good chance that some of the same conditions that exist near geothermic vents on the ocean floor on this planet also exist on Europa, and there's a marvelous array of life near those geothermic vents, I do think that if we're going to find life anywhere in this system beside Earth then it's going to be on Europa. KF

I think this makes a lot of sense and it is very logical.

But it also would be interesting to find out that this microbial life is actually just some life form already on earth...that would be trippy.

But this is where i get illogical. I just dont see how we can assume that because life exists in extreme conditions here, the possibility of it existing in other planets seems just silly to me.

We really dont know that much about how the universe works and even how or own bodies work. So thats why I'm not a believer

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Werefrog wrote:
Werefrog wrote:

Nor was it funny.

Actually, I'm doing both now non-professionally. Gotta start somewhere. And I'm still in school, and I want something to fall back on.

I missed it. :(

Werefrog
Dragonmaster

Post by Werefrog »

Werefrog wrote:
Werefrog wrote:

Nor was it funny.

I missed it. :(

It's okay, man. I'm sure there will be another time where my good-hearted nature doesn't kick in, forcing me to change my post.

Benevolent_Ghaleon
BANNED

Just goes to show that arrogant people rarely get along with other arrogant people...at least when their opinions differ.

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

Chill.

I'm much in line with Kiz here. There's the meteorite from Mars found in Antarctica, there's Europa, there's a very large number of stars and systems beyond ours... I will say that microbial life can exist in another place, and almost certainly does. More advanced forms of life are entirely possible.

The combination of body design and brain power (or its equivalent) required to build up technology... that I'm not sure about, and this is where it gets really sketchy, but even this is possible. I believe that it's likely, but of course I have no evidence to go that far. ;)
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

I believe in the possibility that there is life outside of Earth, whether it's a simple single-cell life form or a complex humaniod life form, who knows. I too believe in God, but then again, I also believe in the evolution and Big Bang.

So, my question is that scientists theorize that in the beginning of earth, there was the right combination of materials together in some pool of water that when lightening struck, fused the materials together to create a lifeform? I mean, if that's the case, why can't we reproduce that very instance? We know what life is made of, so shouldn't it be not all that difficult to try to create life?

I just dont see how we can assume that because life exists in extreme conditions here, the possibility of it existing in other planets seems just silly to me.

Because if life can live and thrive near a 4,000 degree vent or in -100 degree temperatures, then why can't they live on a planet/moon that has water but also has 4,000 degree vents or -100 degree temperatures.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

I really can't say that I believe there's any other kind of intelligent life out there. And even if there is, there must not be much near us, otherwise, I think we would have known about it by now. However, the idea of microscopic life and such, I'm sure there's some form. Just don't expect Star Trek or Star Wars out there. :P
-G1

AbsoluteAlex
Red Dragon Priest

Post by AbsoluteAlex »

I think its very narrow minded of us to think that there ISNT life out there that is advanced. I mean there are endless stars in the universe each with its own planets. The statistical chances that there is a planet like earth with an atmosphere similar to it are very good.
I wasn't born to fit in, I was born to stand out

ilovemyguitar
Legendary Hero

Post by ilovemyguitar »

I think that if there is intelligent life out there, it exists in some form that we would be nearly incapable of comprehending as "alive." It probably wouldn't even be carbon based.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Aaron wrote:But this is where i get illogical. I just dont see how we can assume that because life exists in extreme conditions here, the possibility of it existing in other planets seems just silly to me.

I did say that there was the possibility of life on Europa (and other places), not that I assumed there already was. I don't know that, and we won't until we've sent unmanned craft there to investigate from a much closer range. But the fact that life exists in extreme conditions here does mean that it's certainly possible for life to exist in extreme conditions on other planets.

phyco126 wrote:So, my question is that scientists theorize that in the beginning of earth, there was the right combination of materials together in some pool of water that when lightening struck, fused the materials together to create a lifeform? I mean, if that's the case, why can't we reproduce that very instance?

Oh there are several different theories on how life originated on this planet.

First of all, some of the preconditions for life had to be fulfilled: water, nutrients, atmosphere (or something similar), etc. That was about... I think 2 billion years ago?

Second, there are several theories on where and how life 'arrived' on this planet. One is that there was simply the right combination of proteins and amino acids somewhere on this planet, and things evolved from there. Another (a personal favorite of mine), posits that microbial life, or just the amino acids to build basic life forms, were transported to the Earth on comets and/or asteroids that collided with our planet (the theory is called "panspermia" if you want to look it up).

phyco wrote:Because if life can live and thrive near a 4,000 degree vent or in -100 degree temperatures, then why can't they live on a planet/moon that has water but also has 4,000 degree vents or -100 degree temperatures.

You're sort of on the right track there, at least with your general point.

The reason why life near geothermic vents is so fascinating is because very complex life forms evolved there a) without access to sunlight, and b) at very high pressures (I think around 20-30 atmospheres of pressure). That tossed out the previous notion that life had to be possible on or near the surface of a planet in order for life to be possible to begin with.

How this applies to Europa is thus: Europa is covered with ice, and Europa likely has volcanic activity. Meaning, that there are likely geothermic vents underneath the ice, and the possibility of melted, liquid water near those vents. The life around there could potentially use the chemical composition of the water and heat from the vents for energy, the same way that life living in similar conditions on Earth does so.

The fact is, life is really something miraculous when you get right down to it. We keep discovering new things that redefine our notion of how life can survive. A few decades ago, the idea that life could survive at 20 atmospheres of pressure in near-total darkness would've been preposterous; now it's a fact.

I think that if there is intelligent life out there, it exists in some form that we would be nearly incapable of comprehending as "alive." It probably wouldn't even be carbon based.

Any kind of life we can conceive of currently would have to be carbon-based. Silicon-based is theoretically possible, but then we're talking about near rock-like appearances, incredibly slow growth, and hence incredibly slow evolution and adaptation to surroundings.

That and, by definition, anything organic is carbon-based. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

phyco126
Dragonmaster

Post by phyco126 »

Who was it that said to the effects of "If there is intelligent life outthere, they are obviously smart enough to stay away." (Yes I know it's not the exact quote, but you get the point.)

Anyway, I already know about Panspermia :P The history channel was doing a show on Meteors, Meteorites, and whatever the other word is (if there is one, stupid brain.) Anyway, part of the show focused on the possibility that life was planted onto Earth millions of years ago. They even pointed to that rock from mars that was found somewhere in the artics. I consider that an intresting concept.

- "Sometimes life smiles when it kicks you down. The trick is to smile back."