Lunar 3's Production Halt

For any and all webpolls.

Do you think that they halted Lunar 3 so everyone would buy it at an unreasonable price when it did?

Poll ended at Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:55 am

Yes
9%
No
82%
Undecided
9%

Total votes: 11

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest
jedwabna poszewka na poduszkę 70x80

Lunar 3's Production Halt

Post by Dragonlord911 »

Why in the world has Lunar 3 not come out in the US yet? It gets on my nerves that they would just halt production of one of the best RPG game series in the world. ( Or so i think )... ( Or so everyone thinks ) :twisted:

LuciaOne
Goddess

Post by LuciaOne »

Um....
::sigh::
There is no Lunar 3.
It's what we've all been waiting for for 10+ years.

(Lunar DS is NOT Lunar 3.... it's Lunar... -1)
^^;
I found my old siggie! MUAH HAHAHAHAHA!!!
~~~
Sir Kizyr: ::high-pitched voice:: Ohh lookit me, I'm a cute li'l elf!
MiaAusa: Oh wait! NO I GET IT.
MiaAusa: It's him finally fessing up the the fact that HE IS a cut li'l elf. :d
MiaAusa: Hey, chance" NO I GET IT" to "NOW I GET IT"
MiaAusa: change**
MiaAusa: I'm mad with grammar today
MiaAusa: bad**

I'm mad with grammar too.
~~~
Sir Kizyr: Here's a lovely song about my favorite food
Sir Kizyr: Lima, lento, soy, and pinto ~ Navy, northern, and garbanzo! ~ Kidneys and frijoles negros
Sir Kizyr: I love beans, I love beans, woo woo woo! ~ How 'bout you? ~ High in fiber ~ Low in fat ~ Hey, I betcha didn't know that
Sir Kizyr: When I eat beans, I sit in my little cloud, I don't know why ~ maybe 'cause I'm cuttin' muffins ~~ Because....
Sir Kizyr: I love beans! Hey hey hey! ~ I love beans everyday! ~ Beans are an excellent source of protein ~ I love beans!
Sir Kizyr: Diggydoo!
~~~

Kizyr
Keeper of Knowledge (probationary)

Post by Kizyr »

Hehe.

Yeah.

You got it. I'm sure that's why they've been holding out across 11 years and three generations of video game systems. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Sonic#
Pao Tribe Chieftain

Post by Sonic# »

I think they're waiting until they can do their own surveying of the moon in order to make an accurate ultimate representation of the Silver Star's geography.

Yeah, we've been waiting for it. Still are. :/
Sonic#

"Than seyde Merlion, "Whethir lyke ye bettir the swerde othir the scawberde?" "I lyke bettir the swerde," seyde Arthure. "Ye ar the more unwyse, for the scawberde ys worth ten of the swerde; for whyles ye have the scawberde uppon you, ye shall lose no blood, be ye never so sore wounded. Therefore kepe well the scawberde allweyes with you." --- Le Morte Darthur, Sir Thomas Malory

"Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you. Fail to live up to your potential, and you will never win. " --- The Old Man at the End of Time

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Aquaignis »

I heard they stopped it because of internal problems. I have not given up hope yet! :x I'll bet that there is someone out there looking for a great idea for an RPG. All they have to do is a little research, because Lunar has got to be on the top 5 best RPG series list of all time! 8) I won't give up hope unless I hear from the highest authority that there will not be another Lunar. :evil:

P.S. Everyone stare at my avatar! :shock:
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

punkabof1
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by punkabof1 »

I heard they stopped it because of internal problems.

Where did you hear that from?

Silentcrisis
BANNED

Post by Silentcrisis »

the only way a lunar 3 is going to come out is if it washes up at one of the game companys that takes in misfit and forgoten games that were cancled and finishes producing it. similar to what happend to the game malice which actualy turned out good

so there is still a little hope

Alunissage
Goddess

Post by Alunissage »

NextGenerationLunarFan wrote:P.S. Everyone stare at my avatar! :shock:

Why, so we can wonder why those random black pixels are in it? It's not like we're not familiar with the image, and it's been used here before.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

NextGenerationLunarFan wrote:I heard they stopped it because of internal problems. I have not given up hope yet! :x I'll bet that there is someone out there looking for a great idea for an RPG. All they have to do is a little research, because Lunar has got to be on the top 5 best RPG series list of all time! 8) I won't give up hope unless I hear from the highest authority that there will not be another Lunar. :evil:

Not saying there won't be another Lunar, but honestly, if we haven't heard it here, the news doesn't exist. There's a reason why LunarNET's been the official US site for the last two Lunar games to be released. That being said, the "because of internal problem" bit is a baseless rumor. Just like saying that Game Arts refused to let WD translate the last two Lunar games because they didn't like their translations, there's no evidence beyond what someone tosses out at a message board somewhere.

I'd be surprised if Lunar were on the top 5 anything, unless it were a personal list (particularly based on quality). Fewer people have even heard of it. That doesn't change the fact that it's the greatest series in all existence, but it doesn't have that kind of mass popularity. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Dragonlord911
Red Dragon Priest

Post by Dragonlord911 »

:evil: I have a friend that lives in Japan. He said that the Lunar 3 game was stopped because they ran out of money and went through a serious bankruptcy, and the company was bought up by another company. :twisted:

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

::laughter::

Right.

Because anyone who lives in Japan has to be right. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Aquaignis
Black Dragon Wizard

internal problems

Post by Aquaignis »

I found my information not on a message board, but on a search engine for Lunar 3. It took me to a video game site where one types in the name, rating, genre, and producing company. That is where I read that the Lunar 3 project was stopped in 2001 due to internal problems. I will try to find that site again.
Some of the answers in this post are made of frozen lose with whipped failsauce topping and suck sprinkles......

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

Oh damn, here we go again.

Didn't Gamefaqs and half a dozen other sites list Lunar 3 on there? The same stuff's been going on for the last decade. Seriously, don't give all that any credence.

You can find the site if you want, but in all honesty, besides sites like Game Arts', LunarNET's about the most official you'll find in the US. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

Imperial Knight
Black Dragon Wizard

Post by Imperial Knight »

I don't really see how delaying Lunar 3 would make a significant number of people pay more for it. If anything, going so long with no new games in the series (aside from remakes) would likely erode the fanbase of a series. Most people aren't dedicated enough to keep caring for that long, meaning the series gradually loses relevance. Indeed, that probably did factor in to the poor sales of Lunar Genesis/Dragon Song (though the negative publicity from bad to mediocre reviews/word of mouth likely also contributed). So I don't think Game Arts is intentionally holding the series back just so people will pay more. I find it more likely that they've just decided to shift their attention to the Grandia series, which IIRC is more successful in Japan than Lunar anyways.

As to what work may or may not have been done on Lunar 3, it's hard to say anything definitive. Most of the "info" about the game just consists of things random people have posted on message boards and personal websites and is highly unreliable. A lot of rumors also get started because, as Kizyr mentioned, several sites have, at one time or another, posted meaningless "release dates." Even if we go to more reliable sources (gaming journalists and others in the industry), accounts conflict. Some have said that all that was ever made were some planning documents and that no real work has even been done on a Lunar 3, while others have said that there was some work done for a PS2 Lunar game but it wasn't very good and the project was presumably scrapped. In any case, whether there ever was anything in production or not, there's no evidence to suggest that there's anything in production right now. I'm not holding my breath.

Kizyr

Post by Kizyr »

There's been some, very paltry, stuff done in the way of Lunar 3. G1 knows more about it. But, I wouldn't get your hopes up; there's nothing as of yet that indicates that a lot of serious work's been done on it.

That's not to say there won't ever be another Lunar game, just if there is, you're going to see actual evidence rather than random crap that people post on message boards. Again, LunarNET and/or LunarHope, along with official company website articles, are your best bet for finding this stuff out. KF
~Kizyr (they|them)

GhaleonOne
Ghost From The Past

Post by GhaleonOne »

A lot of false rumors have come from IGN. They're also the ones that "confirmed" a Lunar Eternal Blue remake on the Dreamcast when it was launched. There were also a few others in the industry itself that beefed up some other rumors that weren't quite true. Plus, the worst of the bunch is that stupid site out there that claims Magic School is Lunar 3. I'm surprised someone hasn't come in lately and tried to use it as a source. It's been a while. It used to happen almost monthly.

Regarding DS's sales though. I think the majority of the bad sales came from such poor reviews. Though how badly that will effect any future Lunar titles is up in the air. It probably doesn't bode well though. Lunar has been more successful in the US than Japan, and even then, it was likely a failure in UbiSoft's eyes.
-G1